A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer means tank tops and drum corps shows!  (Read 3508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starsandmelodies

Trying to find truth in words, in rhymes, in notes

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2008 08:42:22 PM »

Living in New Jersey, I have the good fortune of access to lots of wonderful things: the Midtown Direct train to the city (New York city, that is), 24-hour diners, five malls within half an hour's driving distance, five pizza places within walking distance, and gas station attendants (nyeh nyeh, I'll never pump my own gas!). Of course, band geek that I am, last summer I begged for ticket money not for a concert festival or the state fair at Giants Stadium, but a drum corps show. Long story short, I came, I saw, I fell in love with Carolina Crown's mind-blowing brassline. In true fifteen-year-old fangirl fashion, I immediately bought myself a shirt to express my adoration. A few months later, a serious problem arose:

HOLES. Holes in my most beloved geek shirt! I let it go for a few months, plotting all the while, but yesterday was my first day of summer vacation, and we all know what that means. It was high time to take this:

To something suitably summery and celebratory, in the form of this:

I'm so proud of my hours of hand-sewing. To be sure, those two hours of Scrubs episodes helped...
Proof of painstakingly done-by-hand stitches along the top hem:

Close-up of the logo and new seam (I really, truly apologize for the chest shot):

And the straps are my favorite part! I originally cut off the holey part in a strip around the entire shirt, cut off the holes, cut the strip in half, and cut each half into thirds lengthwise to braid them, but it looked messy so I took the easy way out, which I liked better anyway Smiley

And this is really a poor excuse for an action shot, but at least it wasn't taken in my bathroom!

I'm tempted to enumerate all the failings of this first-ever successfully wearable project...I think I'll indulge in a single, comma-filled run-on sentence: I started out with white thread until I realized it was horribly visible when I turned the seams inside out so I started ripping the matching thread out of the original sleeve, collar, and bottom hems, which worked but took FOREVER, added a side panel to the top to accomodate for modesty, but had to sew up the other side because it came out too loose (which it still is, even, but I'm much too lazy now to fix it right away), and I didn't show the back because my good camera's screen is broken and my old camera was running out of battery plus the hem is embarrassingly bunchy, and the straps are too long and once again I'm too lazy to adjust just yet.

Phew. That's all. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008 08:40:01 PM by starsandmelodies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://wists.com/starsandmelodies
Ebonyjade
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008 09:15:52 PM »

This is very beach trendy!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To find what you seek in the road of life, <br />the best proverb of all is that which says:<br />\"Leave no stone unturned.\"
KidWithKemikals
Monisaurus the Crafty Dinosaur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008 09:41:39 PM »

high five for Jersey girls!

Ive got about 20 or so shirts waiting for recons.. haha
maybe this will get me motivated. I think you did an awesome job.
You really and honestly shouldnt be hard on yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make Love - Not Horcruxes
dorkgrl26

I'm just me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008 08:24:17 AM »

Thats awesome! I like the straps too. I saw Carolina Crowns show last year too. It was rather entertaining. My mom and I are fans of The Cadets, she works on their uniforms and marched with them in the 70s. IT I went with my mom to Allentown, PA to see DCI east and we are going again this year. Its such a good time and they have the best snow cones ever Grin I hope you get to go to another show this year!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So don't take anything for granted, stand outside in the rain. An excuse, you know I planned it. Every ending ends all the same...

http://www.wists.com/dorkgrl26
sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008 08:28:58 PM »

Yep, that's my kid dorkgrl...she told me about your awsome recon of the Carolina Crown shirt. They had an awesome show last year! I did march for the Cadets, actually in their drumline. Tenor player back in the day when girls in the drum and hornlines of those corps was shocking!!!  Anyway, your tee looks great!  I do spend a lot of time working on the Cadets unis during the summer months, and this is a tote I came up with to celebrate my support of the corps:

P.S.  I can't believe you ripped out the thread from the tee.....now that is dedication!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
tasket.basket
Darn . . . It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.

The internet is made of people.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008 11:22:39 AM »

This is outstanding!  The recon is so so cute!  I think you did a great job.  I love the straps, too, and I'm really impressed by your hand stitching.  Way to go on your first wearable project!  It is completely adorable!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's really only one question that can be answered . . . and we already know the answer. . . .  -- Ursula K. LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness

my blog
my wists
LilKitty
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008 12:50:48 PM »

Not only I am completely jealous about where you live...(I live in the U.K but I'm trying to wrangle a birthday trip to NY) but also of your sewing skills... LOVING the top. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tallulah_Noir
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008 04:53:29 PM »

DRUM CORPS! I feel you my Friend! I would rather see the Madison Scouts than any sports game or concert I can think of!

I marched for 2 years and they were the best Summers of my LIFE.

I love your shirt, and I am very inspired by your well-done hand sewing.

Actually, I have an old Madison Scouts shirt that deserves to be worn, so perhaps ill try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waffley

Juno MacGuff Incarnate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008 08:49:55 PM »

Excellent recon. Crown did really well last year so bravo to them (and I loved the sort of one-up to the other corps in their show...haha). I'm more of a BD fan myself... BLUESMOKE!

I gotta do something to my Winged Victory shirt after seeing this... :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
secondstar
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008 10:45:08 PM »

I love this! I have a lot of shirts from DCI that are in dire need of a second chance. Carolina Crown is good, but most of my friends marched with Spirit. Very nice sewing job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We could be like onions and peppers
In a sleeping bag fajita
We could be anything you want
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick and Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe
How to Make a One-Pot Kimchi Stew with Chicken and Tofu
How to Make The Savory Roll
How to Make Katie Lee’s Asian Beef Lettuce Cups
How to Make Japanese Breakfast Rolls
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...