A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How would someone make a journal...  (Read 967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzie
« on: February 08, 2005 10:35:03 PM »

with a lock? :x I'm not talking one of those sissy diary locks you can pick, but a journal with two 'loops' attached to it so you can put a small padlock through the loops. Any help is appreciated.

If anyone has a link to a site where I could buy one, too, I'd be grateful. I'm kinda desperate. :x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005 11:29:46 PM »

I think you could really just glue smallish loops of ribbon or strong yarn onto the inside of the hard covers of an existing journal, if you need one right away.  If you want to make it yourself, one quick and easy book structure is the pamphlet  stitch:
http://www.gaspereau.com/sew.html
start on the outside and leave long strings to loop around the book and tie/lock shut.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
Lizzie
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005 03:24:04 PM »

Thanks for the help, but I'm afraid the ribbon would be cut. :x I'm very paranoid about this specific journal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
wingsofwhimsy
Writer/Student/Teacher/Photographer/Poet/Artist/etc...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005 06:24:03 AM »

You could always wrap it with chains- like a ribbon around a birthday present. Instead of tying the ends, secure them with a chain. Sometimes you can find lightweight chain at dollar stores (used to tie out a dog) for a buck. Also, at  most hardware stores you will find large spools of chain.
 A similar, (less S & M) kind of look/method could be created by using colored or copper wire, cable conduit, or the like. I prescribe a trip to your local home improvement store Smiley. With a little effort, you can create loops on the ends that the lock can fit through (think jewelry making, large scale!). All you need are some wire cutters and maybe some pliers.
 Also, when you choose your lock, don't forget that you can decorate it to match the theme of the journal.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be Happy Smiley
Talon
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005 02:23:54 PM »

Here's my idea for an impenetrable journal:

http://web.utk.edu/~abrogan/journal.gif

I feel clever.   Grin

I don't think you'll be able to find a sold-in-stores diary that can't be broken open with a little effort.  Exactly how secure does this need to be?  Will people be making every possible effort to get into this thing (i.e., cutting the binding to take the cover off, taking a hacksaw to the padlock), or can it be no stronger than a typical hardcover book?

I don't mean to pry or anything, but this is an interesting challenge.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wingsofwhimsy
Writer/Student/Teacher/Photographer/Poet/Artist/etc...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005 02:50:34 PM »

Talon- LOVE your illustration style there! Great idea- fun use of old plates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be Happy Smiley
Talon
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005 03:08:44 PM »

Hehe, thanks.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzie
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005 07:53:27 PM »

XD That's awesome, Talon!

A normal hard-backed book would work fine, but it needs to be padlockable. Lovely idea, also!! Cheesy I don't have any access to liscense plates, though, and it would look a bit suspicious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Talon
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005 09:37:39 PM »

Yeah, few things scream "READ ME!  I'M PRIVATE!" like a book with four padlocks hanging off it...

So.  You could get some wire (old coat hanger, maybe?), make two U-shapes out of it, poke them through both covers of your journal, then fold the ends down on the inside and glue them really well.  Then you'd have your two loops that can be locked together, and it should hold up as well as the book itself does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzie
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005 03:39:04 PM »

That sounds like an awesome idea! Cheesy Thank you so much.

I'll let you know if it works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich
How to Cook Stir Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts
How to Prepare Chicken Baked with Garlic
How to Mix Roast Quail with Sauce
How to Heat Chicken in a Mustard Coat
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...