A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is this as bad as I think it is? Serger help please!  (Read 1208 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funda62
« on: June 21, 2008 10:13:39 AM »

Okay so I bought a second hand baby lock bl4-838D yesterday.  Use it for a few minutes last night and then today sat down to get some work done.  Was serging great then (after 30 minutes) started to get slower and slower.  I turned it off, turned it back on and it was back up to speed for a minute and then slower and slower.  There was just the tiniest bit of burnt engine smell so I checked to make sure everything was clean then let it rest about 15 minutes while I used my sewing machine to do a few things.  Now the serger turns on and does nothing when I hit the foot pedal.  I can manually turn the wheel and everything seems to be moving properly.  Do you think the engine is gone?  Thankfully it has a 30 day warranty but I will be gutted if it's broken already and don't know if I will trust a used one again.   Cry Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
Fabric http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067061.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008 11:18:30 AM »

Bummer Sad At least you have a warranty. Actually it's probably bad bearings, but bad bearings can ruin the motor. Did this come from a shop or online? I would be pretty ticked if it's from a sewing machine shop, they should have tested more before putting it out for sale.

If it is bearings (you may never know) it means that machine had seriously heavy duty usage for a very long time. If it were a car, this indicates more like 250K to 300K miles of use, pretty much the end of it's life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008 11:48:07 AM »

This was from a shop.  Sad  So it is as bad as I thought.  I think I'll just go cry now.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008 02:47:08 PM »

I'm so sorry Sad

Definately colors your view of that shop too. The place I bought my new machine? lost a pair of scissors I took in to get sharpened. Were horridly rude about it too. Makes me think really hard whether I want to take in the machine for the first year free service or not....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008 03:48:10 PM »

I'm so sorry Sad

Definately colors your view of that shop too. The place I bought my new machine? lost a pair of scissors I took in to get sharpened. Were horridly rude about it too. Makes me think really hard whether I want to take in the machine for the first year free service or not....

After your first post I called the shop.  The man who sold it to me used his, "silly woman" voice and asked me things like, "Are you sure it's plugged in?"  Grr.  I hate that kind of treatment.  So thankfully I have a fantastic neighbor who's going to go to the shop with me on Monday to back me up when I ask for a full refund.  Looks like I'll be buying that low end Brother after all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008 07:57:40 AM »

The man who sold it to me used his, "silly woman" voice

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T STAND that!! I would go in with the Better Business Bureau's phone number in hand, call them to file a complaint in front of him if he tries to give you any more shit like that. Be firm and be clear "you sold me a non-funtioning machine. Clearly you did not fully test it before putting it up for sale. I expect a full refund, not store credit, a refund" "And I will be telling everyone I know who sews how you treated me and were selling broken machines".

Don't wimp out, stand your ground!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funda62
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008 02:01:55 AM »

Thank you so much for having my back on this!  Took it in yesterday and he admitted almost right away that something was wrong and that he should have spotted it.  He apologized for my inconvenience and fixed it.  It was the cam that adjusts stitch length which was overheating.  I'll give an update in a few days to let you know how it is running.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SAHM to two lovely girls
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008 05:56:35 AM »

Good! It better be running perfectly too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create 3D Text - Motion 3
How to Use DVD Studio Pro Part 1/2
How to Use DVD Studio Pro Part 2/2
How to Make a Lightsaber - Shake 4.1
How to Use Multi-Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...