A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cooking Phobics Anonymous/ Help, I can't cook! swap?  (Read 748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2008 05:21:18 AM »

So I was looking at the cafepress advert and munching on my instant noodles and it got me thinking....
I hate cooking. I find it really stressful. I'm terrible at keeping an eye on all those pots and pans and everything takes me ages. But my boyfriend's a great cook and I get kind of depressed sometimes... you know, when he comes in and makes something amazing for lunch in about ten minutes, and I've just stuck something unhealthy in the microwave... I wish I was more imaginitive, and less terrified of trying to make anything that involved more than one pot at a time Roll Eyes
So I wonder what you guys would think of a cookery swap for terrible cooks? We could make themed kitchen stuff ("last time I cooked almost no-one got sick", "I know it's ready when the smoke alarm goes off" etc.), make idiot proof recipe books (or blank books for collecting idiot proof recipes)... anything that you think would help you become a better cook! I'm sure there's loads that could be done with this idea.

Any other bad cooks out there interested?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008 06:52:09 AM by talyra - Reason: I'm so bad at this I can't even spell "recipe"... » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008 06:17:14 PM »

I don't like to say I'm a bad cook. I like to think I'm a good cook in hiding. But I think that this could be fun. We could make all kinds of kitchen/cooking related things and trade easy recipes. I could go for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 06:54:04 AM »

Cheesy "Good cook in hiding" - sounds like an apron slogan to me! Love it!

Anyone else? Or is everyone just too ashamed to admit it on a forum like Craftster? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 06:32:54 AM »

I'm a klutz who can't smell, so it's usually best if I stay out of the kitchen.

I live alone, however, so unless I want to starve, I need to cook sometimes!  Luckily, I make a mean bowl of cereal.

I'm in, if this happens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmphipodGirl

More projects planned than executed.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 10:13:41 AM »

I'm a klutz who can't smell, so it's usually best if I stay out of the kitchen.

I live alone, however, so unless I want to starve, I need to cook sometimes!  Luckily, I make a mean bowl of cereal.

I'm in, if this happens!
I have a friend with no sense of smell.  I don't think she cooks much, but she's a fantastic baker -- the best chocolate chip cookies ever, no kidding. 

I'm a pretty accomplished cook, but I need quick and/or easy and/or interruptible recipes that I can cook while looking after my one-year-old twins.  I might join this swap depending on the timing and how it's phrased.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for a FREE vintage embroidery transfer of mushrooms (more info in profile).
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008 10:24:15 AM »

I bake too!  I like it because there's very little of that "pinch of this" or "dash of that" or "season to taste" in baking.  Too bad I can't live on cake, eh? lol

Another fun part of cooking when you can't smell is that twice now I've managed to forget that I was cooking even though my "kitchen" is just a counter, fridge and stove in my living room.  Thank goodness for timers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildfyre
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008 07:49:22 AM »

I'm told I'm an excellent baker.. but cooking freaks me out. I finally got up the courage to tackle steak last month and it was a huge accomplishment lol But I figure since I'm getting married in spring I really better start learning to cook.

So I'd be in for a swap like this  Smiley Trading idiot-proof recipes and cooking tips and tricks.. and cooking themed crafts of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008 09:08:00 AM »

So I cooked dinner last night, and while nothing turned out bad, my creation of "Whatever spices are in the cabinet chicken" was disappointing. Apparently, I am not a fan of thyme. And then my bf told me I cooked too much, but it's not like you can make half a box of Rice-A-Roni, or half a can of beans. That's why I have tupperware for leftovers! But I think if we did this, I could get some recipes for 2 people maybe? I always have so much leftovers and he said that leftovers aren't good. (Pssh...my mom serves leftovers all the time and sometimes it's better the second time.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008 09:15:17 PM »

Sweet!  I can't cook either.  The only things I ever put in the oven are made of polyclay, LOL  Cheesy

I might be down for this swap...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008 06:37:29 PM »

I've been told I can cook. I, however, do not believe this.

I prefer really simple, easy convenient foods, while mr. italian over here prefers to hand make EVERYTHING, so I avoid the kitchen.

On top of that, we recently learned I can't taste metals. Since we live on the cities water, I have cooked with the cities water..which is very heavily metal-ed. Another reason my cooking is horrible..unless you cant taste metals.

Now that i've bored you all to death..I would totally be up for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Text Effects Instantly in Gimp
How to Make Funny Cartoons with Existing Pictures
How to Make HD-Quality Videos with Camtasia Studio
How to Create Moving Text GIFs
How to Use Prolines Vol 2 Sports Poster
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...