A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,988
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FRIENDSHIP GRANNY SQUARE SWAP R3 (JULY) COMPLETE  (Read 6352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cat9

I've got a hook and I'm not afraid to use it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008 08:09:16 AM »

All righty... I live in a major metropolitan area, which no doubt explains why it's so darn hard to get straight up 4-ply acrylic yarn. I could get fancy pants hand spun yarn pretty close to my house, but anything else requires a major trek. Kookaloo_Starr, I have one of the two colors you requested in house, so I ordered the second one, thinking it might arrive sometime vaguely soon. Well, they have failed me. So when all your squares are the same color, you'll know why Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008 08:19:44 AM »

All the same colour is NOT a problem as it's very unlikely that everyone in every round will use only that colour and if they do...well so what ?! *lol* it would still match my colour scheme  Cheesy

oh and I have my squares all packaged up and ready to go but wasn't able to go to the PO today, hoping to make it tomorrow after having a day taking it extra easy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008 08:22:07 AM by Kookaloo_Starr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
MoonChyld3
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008 06:48:52 AM »

Yeay! Can't wait to see what you made!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008 06:36:15 AM »

You won't have to wait long MoonChyld  Smiley

OK, I have a question for you all...whether you're participating this round or just checking to see whether you want to join in future rounds....

I know the sign up form says "Do you promise to use ONLY acrylic 4-ply worsted weight yarn to make your squares?"

and I have to add " I promise to use the UK equivalent" or some such thing  Wink
what I wanted to ask is this; would it be acceptable to use two thinner strands held together to make people's squares?

and are basic granny squares acceptable?

I have oodles of DK yarn and when I'm at a loose end or in a craft slump I just grab my 5mm hook and a couple of balls of DK and whip up a few basic grannies - like this one which is one strand of purple/pink and one strand of pale pink (I think it looks like raspberry ripple ice-cream).

What's the general consensus? is it a skanky thing to do ?? Are these the squares that give crochet a bad name??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008 12:28:43 PM »

"Do you promise to use ONLY acrylic 4-ply worsted weight yarn to make your squares?"

would it be acceptable to use two thinner strands held together to make people's squares?

and are basic granny squares acceptable?

Hi Kookaloo!

My personal opinion? Using 2 strands of a thinner yarn to make the equivalent of a worsted yarn is acceptable.

Using 2 strands of thicker yarn and a big needle would not be acceptable, in my opinion, because it wouldn't "work" with other squares.

I LOVE basic grannies (see avatar) and hate it when people say that they are somehow less than desireable... phooey. I love them. Playing with fancier patterns is just fun for a swap - a chance to show your chops - but the basics work just fine for me, too.

Is everyone finishing up and getting ready to ship? I am, but I need to find a certain toy fish to include for my homeschooling friends.... Smiley

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat9

I've got a hook and I'm not afraid to use it.

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008 12:48:42 PM »

I'm getting towards done - I'll definitely have them done by send out. Sorry, KookalooStarr - with international mail it'll still be a while before you see them though Sad But I could be finished right now if I could just find an hour and a half to sit down! Ah well, it'll just have to get finished it littler chunks of time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008 01:00:14 PM »

AlternaWidget, thanks for your input  Smiley I love the blanket in your avatar  Grin
I think I'll broach the subject with my partners each month,it's not that I'm being cheap but I have mainly DK weight yarn in my stash and chunky isn't always as easy to come by.

Cat9, US to UK doesn't take too  long **fingers crossed** I'm hopeful that Moonchyld will get hers this weekend  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008 01:04:25 PM by Kookaloo_Starr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
50 in '15
indigo_roses
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008 01:15:23 PM »

I have six more ends to weave in, then I'm done! I'm planning on putting them into the mail tomorrow. Also, mail from here seems to be really fast - I sent a swap package out on Friday, and it went halfway across the US by Monday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
bettflow
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008 09:37:16 AM »

SWAP SEND DATE HAS BEEN EDITED!!!

I have made a change to this swap that ya'll need to know about.  Hope this will some of us that are having issues that may prevent us from getting our squares mailed out by the 20th.  The deadline to get your squares mailed has been changed from 7/20 to 7/31.  From now on, I am going to give everyone a full month to get your squares made and sent to your partner.

Now this will change our rules a little bit when it comes to signing up for the future rounds.  Each month, you need to have your squares in the mail no later than the last day of the month.  Signups will open for the next round on or near the 20th of each month.  You will be able to sign up for the next round even though your squares are not in the mail at that point.  BUT....at the end of that next round, ANYONE who's squares from the previous round have not been received from their partner, WILL NOT be able to participate in any future rounds until all squares are received and accounted for.

So far we have had a great group of swappers and haven't had any problem with flakers. YA'LL ARE FABULOUS!!!

If you have any questions let me know:))
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008 09:39:08 AM »

I like the new rules Bettflow  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
50 in '15
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...