A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing needle injuries, anybody?  (Read 7717 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

UnicornSnot
« on: June 20, 2008 06:40:35 PM »

So, last year, I was sewing on my bed and stuck the pin in the mattress for a minute. I unthinkingly tugged on the string to pull it out, and the 2 and a half inch needle flew out and stuck me in the eye! Thankfully, it was the eye end, but I had a scratch on my eye that I had to go to the hospital for. Even worse, while I was there, the nurse had a small plastic tab she used to put the UV-reactive eye drops in my eye to check for scratches, and when she went to drip the goo in my eye I blinked. I opened my eye again, the tab was stuck in my eye, and long story short, I ended being treated for TWO scratches.

...anybody had a needle injury? Please tell me I'm not the only one!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008 06:42:37 PM by UnicornSnot » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008 06:14:43 PM »

Ouch!  That could have been a lot worse.

The worst I've done is stab my finger with the business end of a sewing or cross-stitch needle - and the worst part of that is trying not to bleed on my work.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UnicornSnot
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008 09:59:00 PM »

Oof, I hate stabbing my fingers. It's really bad when you're trying to work through a tough piece of fabric with a long needle and then stab yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suziesews
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008 08:48:50 AM »

Ouch!  That could have been a lot worse.

The worst I've done is stab my finger with the business end of a sewing or cross-stitch needle - and the worst part of that is trying not to bleed on my work.   Tongue

If you chew on a piece of cotton (NOTpolyester) thread and roll it over a blood spot, the enzymes in your salivia will take out the stain - Not elegant , but effective....

Not sure why it won't work with a poly thread...

Suziesews

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smuckers9
artist and a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008 10:00:53 PM »

The most "brilliant"(or not so brilliant) move i have made with a needle is sewing on my bedroom floor...When i woke up the next morning i stepped on the needle...
*shudder*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
great_heights

world enough and time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008 11:32:26 AM »

i have two stories, one inappropriately funny, and the other a little scary

the first was when i was making a cusion for my window seat. i wrapped a long panel of foam like a christmas present in some fabric and then just pushed the pins down into the foam rather than pinning the fabric to itself. i left it that way until i could get myself to take the time and hand sew it together. i was too lazy to finish it right away but wanted to see how it would look anyways, so i layed it the right way on the window seat (with pins facing up now) and forgot to let the other members of my family know. My brother came into my room and sat down on the cusion. Right on one of the pins. It was so funny because it was just before i could warn him (i really tried, i promise) and instead of strangling me to death like i thought he would, we just started laughing hysterically.

then next story happened to my sister's best friend. she was sewing and put a pin in her mouth to hold it (i admit that i do it all the time too) but she had the hiccups and swallowed the pin on the next one. scary! but they got it out at the hospital. wheww!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pottersprincess
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010 11:22:49 AM »

I got my first sewing injury at age 7 when I started to sew, It was a patchwork baby-doll blanket, I must of stabbed myself 100 times. I also step on pins and needles all the time, I don't like to wear shoes. But the worse thing I've ever done is stabbed a SHARP new sewing needle under my fingernail, it hurt like it was on fire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DixieMae
queen of candyland

My life is covered in corgi hair and glitter...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010 05:13:17 PM »

Ok so I have quite a few but here are the top few i can think of. 
1.  I was using a rotery cutter on my own for the first time and I put my finger on the blade with out realizing and cut away.  Not just the fabric but my finger too.  I was so young and was not supposed to be using it so i just put band aids on it. 

2.  I was hand sewing on the floor and sewed my quilt to the carpet.

3.  I ran my finger threw the sewing machine sending the needle into my nail.  Not so good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter me this...
lylacfey
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010 04:57:18 AM »

I was in high school sewing class and the machine skipped and my finger was caught in the needle. I essentially sewed my finger nail in the machine. OUCH!

I was walking across my floor one day and a sewing needle went up my foot. My hubby had to help me pull it out. Then I stepped on a cat claw that went up my foot all in the same day.

One night I dropped my X-stitch needle. I was looking all over for it. My cat was helping me so I didn't want him to get hurt, pushed him out of the way. I found my needle then. It went in my knee. I had to dig it out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
crazycandy999
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010 09:46:31 AM »

When I was younger and still babysitting my sisters, one of them stepped on a big yarn needle and it went so far into her foot I had to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to get it out. I couldn't drive yet so we couldn't go to the hospital and I felt stupid calling an ambulance over it so I just made her grit her teeth and bare it.  Roll Eyes

I just had to add, I just got the April fools day thing, all morning I've been like whats with peoples pictures, until I just saw my own posting this...  duh
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010 09:48:21 AM by crazycandy999 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Avoid Counterfeit Cosmetics
Best Beauty Products for Sensitive Skin
Summer Pastels Makeup Tutorial
Summer Corals Makeup Tutorial
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...