A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,192
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Truth Windows  (Read 1427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovefrozenstars
« on: June 20, 2008 04:25:58 PM »

In my Sculpture Studio class this year, one of our assignments was to make anything at all that we felt embodied the word "truth", which was a word the class decided on as a whole.

Two very long weeks later, this was the finished product:

They are two old windows that I found in the trash on the side of the road about two years ago.  I took them because I knew they would be perfect for something some day, and this was that perfect project.
I sanded them down by hand, a task which I severely underestimated.  There ended up being seven different colored layers of paint on them.  

One window is wrapped in wire and text printed on offwhite scrapbook paper. The other is wrapped in acrylic yarn and text printed and ironed onto offwhite cotton fabric.

Detail of the paper/wire window:

Detail of the cloth/yarn window:

I printed out the quotes onto the paper, cut it into strips, and glued them together to make a long roll.
For the fabric, I first had to reverse the image of the text (something I didn't figure out until after printing them the first time), I printed them onto iron-on transfer paper, ironed them onto the fabric, then cut the fabric into strips and glued them together to make a roll.

I finally wrapped everything, tangled it just-so, and adjusted everything countless times.
I hung them in a doorway of my sculpture studio.  They are meant to be free hanging, such as from the ceiling, but that is not possible with the ceiling of the studio.
They are completely three-dimensional, so the text and materials wrap all the way around and are visible from all angles.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010 08:06:09 PM by lovefrozenstars » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
elainehealy

Cat Lady Press

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008 04:36:14 PM »

those look great and i love the concept; i would have loved to see this in person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cat Lady Press: online DIY forum for tutorials and more!
http://catladypress.blogspot.com
kiathegiraffe
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008 04:41:27 PM »

Completely and totally stunning. I'm blown away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(L O R E)vintage
http://www.lorevintage.etsy.com
-darling vintage clothing sans the typical vintage prices.
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008 04:45:45 PM »

Amazing concept and wonderful execution.  Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Lindsay517
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008 04:49:30 PM »

I'm in total awe! That's amazing work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know. -Ernest Hemingway
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008 05:19:44 PM »

Beautiful. I think they are absolutely lovely on their own, but with the work you've put in to them, and the lesson you got out of them...just...wow! I cried a little too. Beautiful.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
beam_oflight
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008 05:56:05 PM »

That's such a great idea, and it looks visually amazing. I really like conceptual art, and the old windows are really cool Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
narhloki
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008 06:47:54 PM »

Very cool, but it must have been so harrowing reading all your messages looking for lies.

Sad

They look awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kylieultra
hippopotophile

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008 05:39:24 AM »

Wow, amazing. I'd love to see your 'research'/ process journals, if,  like me when I was studying art, you keep them.

I like that this is conceptual, yet very process driven. I find that reading your description of the entire process definitely embodied the concept of 'truth', from the sanding of the windows, to finding the phrases (soul searching in the name of art. IT IS A TRAP I TELL YA!), creating the long strips and even your "mistake" with the fabric...

It really sucks when you can't display your work the way you'd like, doesn't it?

Overall, fantastic job. It touches something inside me, I have that lump in my throat and tingles through me lol, and I really want to see them in real life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008 01:05:17 PM »

That amazing and beautiful. It should have been a long and painful work. I hope you'll get all the reward of your efforts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Beauty Routine in Shape for the New Year
Best and Worst Beauty Trends of 2013
How To: A Punk Hairstyle You Can Easily Rock
Nicole Scherzinger Makeup Look Tutorial
8 Fashion Mistakes That Instantly Age You
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...