A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy-peasy cube/side table redo  (Read 1406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aspatria

I like road trips!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008 09:10:42 AM »

Inspired by a recent post from KonichiwaKay (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=251701.0), I decided to re-cover a rather ugly "box" of my own...But first, a bit of backstory: My husband has had these cubes, which we use as side tables, since well before we were married. I think they were once props from a department store his mom managed back in the day. He had covered them with a bunch of old stickers and memorabilia when he was a teenager. Very cool, but it was starting to get torn and (ick!) a little moldy-looking. I'd been ignoring that by covering them with some bright green and purple fabric from my own retail days, but I couldn't stand it anymore.

First, I cleaned the heck out of it. No more moldy-looking bits - woo! Then, I picked up some cheapie Martha Stewart craft/wrapping paper in a pretty aqua color that matches our spare room, and promptly re-covered the cube. It took two rolls (it's a pretty large cube). For the top of the cube, I put a layer of aqua glassine paper over the flower-patterned paper to make it look a bit more muted. In order to protect the paper, I also covered it in some clear, sticky  drawer liner (also, apparently, from Martha) that I had in the closet. Unfortunately, I don't have any before pics (I got too excited at the prospect of redoing it), but here's the after.... 

And an "action" shot of the cube holding my old stereo:

You can probably see a few wrinkles or bubbles in the plastic. I should have worked with slightly smaller sheets, but I think it turned out fairly well despite that. Most of the seams are on the sides and back (which you don't see). At any rate, it matches the room a heck of a lot better than it did before. I heart it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
berry!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 05:00:59 PM »

I heart it too! awesome job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Fishtail Braid
Addicted To Hair Weaves
Stylist To Stars Shares Hair Extension Secrets
Woman Spent $25,000 On Weave
3 Ways to Get Massive Hair Volume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...