A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
797 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy-peasy cube/side table redo  (Read 1347 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aspatria

I like road trips!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008 09:10:42 AM »

Inspired by a recent post from KonichiwaKay (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=251701.0), I decided to re-cover a rather ugly "box" of my own...But first, a bit of backstory: My husband has had these cubes, which we use as side tables, since well before we were married. I think they were once props from a department store his mom managed back in the day. He had covered them with a bunch of old stickers and memorabilia when he was a teenager. Very cool, but it was starting to get torn and (ick!) a little moldy-looking. I'd been ignoring that by covering them with some bright green and purple fabric from my own retail days, but I couldn't stand it anymore.

First, I cleaned the heck out of it. No more moldy-looking bits - woo! Then, I picked up some cheapie Martha Stewart craft/wrapping paper in a pretty aqua color that matches our spare room, and promptly re-covered the cube. It took two rolls (it's a pretty large cube). For the top of the cube, I put a layer of aqua glassine paper over the flower-patterned paper to make it look a bit more muted. In order to protect the paper, I also covered it in some clear, sticky  drawer liner (also, apparently, from Martha) that I had in the closet. Unfortunately, I don't have any before pics (I got too excited at the prospect of redoing it), but here's the after.... 

And an "action" shot of the cube holding my old stereo:

You can probably see a few wrinkles or bubbles in the plastic. I should have worked with slightly smaller sheets, but I think it turned out fairly well despite that. Most of the seams are on the sides and back (which you don't see). At any rate, it matches the room a heck of a lot better than it did before. I heart it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
berry!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008 05:00:59 PM »

I heart it too! awesome job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Visiting Quiet Dell with Jayne Anne Phillips
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Top 10 Romeo and Juliet Trivia
Courtney Thorne Smith on the New Atkins Made Easy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...