A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibre Friday - 20th June 2008  (Read 5909 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kathleenalice
« on: June 20, 2008 02:07:02 AM »

Wow, it's come round quick this week!

Two offerings from me. The first is named after my Dad's old band - Atlantic Blue. I carded together a pale and a deep turquoise to give it some depth.

Weight: 50g
Length: 90m
WPI: 9
Content: 100% Merino

And the other from me this week is Stormy Skies. I was trying to keep it loose and squidgy, but found it impossible to keep that even, so I gave up trying! It's only a little bit but it's lovely to play with!

Weight: 15g
Length: 13m
WPI: 5
Content: 100% Merino

Ooooh, midnight edit! There's a wee bit more from me - I've just plied this up. This is some lush royal blue wool blended with bamboo and the colours pop out as Ravenclaw house colours, so I've named it Rowena.

Weight: 70g
Length: 71m
WPI: 8
Content: 80% wool, 20% bamboo

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008 04:06:31 PM by kathleenalice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008 02:55:01 AM »

I LOVE Atlantic Blue.  So pretty.

No yarns for me this week.  I look forward to seeing what everyone else does. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RepoRebo
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008 06:12:53 AM »

Mmm, blue! Way to start off Friday right, kathleenalice. My first yarn is blue, too!

"Duskfall", a custom spin from some of my batts, using hand dyed wool and baby camel down. The softest stuff!

Here are two experiments in corespinning, the left using cotswold locks and bits of a Loop batt, and the right using my own crazy batts and mohair.

And then I corespun some AMAZING batts from Hobbledehoy that were the softest merino, romney, and soysilk. Love this yarn so much. Can't wait to knit it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008 06:23:13 AM »

I have 3 to share this week! I also decided to be brave and broke out my digital SLR and played with aperture shooting a bit. Gotta love combining 2 hobbies into one! I will defiantly be using this camera much more in the future! Anyway, on to the yarns!!!

Antique Roses - 100% Merino, 211 yards

Summer Vacation - 50% Targhee and 50% Wool Blend, 324 yards

Turk - Wool, Firestar, and Bamboo, 58 yards

Happy Fiber Friday!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isamax
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008 07:00:42 AM »

Super job everyone!  I love it when the yarns start so early in the morning!  I have two yarns this week & two FO's.

Corespun Merino locks, so VERY soft fluffy & light, 147 yrds total

Tweedy Stripes -  Alpaca, Romney, Shetland, & Corriedale, 183 yrds

I wasn't sure how I liked all of the colors together and already prepped a couple of lbs of these colors of fiber so I knit a couple of hats for a color swatch.  Turns out I LOVE the way the yarn & hats turned out and will be spinning up the rest this week!

This is a better pic of the colors.

Have a great week!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ba Ba Booey
jazzturtle
Every breath is Healing...

Life is better with jazz!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008 07:11:10 AM »

I have been packing and painting and painting and packing.. on top of being sick this week.. so I haven't had as much time to spin..  but it is what I reward myself with after a long day of hard labor..

I finished my most "luxury" of all yarns this morning..  these photos are pre twist set.. so it's pretty kinky..
It's bamboo from whimzypinzy, with a bit of yellow icicle from squoosh and some green firestar.. candystripped with a green irridecent thread and FIFTY swarovski crystal beads in two shades of green (darker green large faceted beads and  lighter green small faceted beads) and small faceted turquoise crystal beads.    The shine of the bamboo, with the shimmer of the icicle and firestar with the sparkle of the crystals..  i LOVE how this yarn turned out!! 
Carribean Dreams, 177 yards

I had a mix of mini batts with a base of blues.. with splashes of greens and bits of other colors here and there..  I also had these great beads that reminded me of sea glass..  I spun the batts thick and thin, and candystriped them with a metallic silver thread and the sea glass beads..
Aquarium, 98 yards

I'm totally addicted to corespinning now.. and I had to do another skien.  This yarn is from a bunch of batts from TerraBellaSpun, of merino, kidd mohair locks and purple irridecent sparkle.  The yarn is SOO light and fluffy.. and I love the curls from the locks!!  If fairies have gardens.. this is what I imagine they look like..
Fairy Garden, 96 yards

Last week I was in Chicago doing final wedding stuff, so I didn't get a chance to post last week.. so here's my yarns from last week..

I did a few more small corespun skiens..  all three are batts from TerraBellaSpun

This one I spun in sheer ribbon "bowties"- 29 yards

This one is meant to be worked into a project with the bowtie skien.. 33 yards

both of them together..

This was a larger batt, again from terrabellaspun, that I corespun.  I love how the locks stick out!!
Unique, 38 yards

I also spun up my May ArtClub batt.. It's thick and thin, with a metallic green thread wrapped around and crocheted strawberries carried along and placed while wrapping..  then plied with invisible thread.  I LOVE how this one turned out!!
Strawberry Patch, 80 yards

I also spun up a bit of one of my ugly batts..  this yarn is for a magic ball swap I'm in..  I spun 2 yarns for this swap.. one thick and thin spun, with green sequin strips spun in, plied with green metallic thread really coily with crocheted flowers and one thick and thin single, wrapped with green holographic sparkley thread..

I love seeing what everyone else has been doing.. it's my Pr0n!!  Happy Friday everyone.. I'm off to do more painting!!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008 07:14:30 AM by jazzturtle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop-  Lots of Handspun yarn and Fun Fiber Batts!
http://Jazzturtle.etsy.com

Ravelry Group:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/jazzturtle-creates

Flickr photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzturtle/

My thoughts and processes..
http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com
Adridne
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008 07:22:59 AM »

Ooo, Carribean dream is lovely.

Here's some yarn I spun up from silk caps I got at MDS&W-

It's laceweight, about 280 yards, 1 oz.  The colors are actually deeper than this, but I could not get my camera to get them right, and trying to photoshop it just made it look weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feralfeminine
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008 07:23:31 AM »

I think I've missed the past couple Fiber Fridays...I've been busy spinning for a craft show this weekend (and another one next weekend!). If anyone is in the MD/VA/DC area, you should come say hi!

My box o' yarns:

I've got around 30-some skeins right now, and I don't have time to photograph them all individually, so you'll all just have to squint at that one not-so-great picture, haha. I've never had this much of my own handspun (or any yarn, really) all together at one time, ever!

Here's a closeup of one of the yarns on top of the box, yummy silky-soft corespun kid mohair locks from small local farms:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SensiblyTacky
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008 07:38:13 AM »

I love Fiber Fridays! I have missed a whole bunch... I have a silly amount of yarn...

Summer Camp and Rainy Days
This yarn makes me smile!! It's soooo soft. It's fabulous fluffy merino spun thick and thin, now this was a blast to spin!! The colours remind me of summer camp and rainy days, but in a fond memory sort of way. I love it.
I have 4 matching skeins of 1 oz each.

Sweet and Homely
This was spun from one of my ugly batts! Or part of it... about 2 inches into my ugly batt. It was a ton of fun to spin. So much fabulous texture!!

/Seascape
4 oz of Icelandic wool

Alpaca Kisses
43 yards
2.0 oz
2 ply

Carbonated Sunshine
Named after Sunkist, which i fondly call "carbonated sunshine"
Hand Dyed Mill Ends from the Sheep Shed Studio
72 yards
1.8 oz

Chunky Soft Spun Mill Ends... so soft and delicious!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 11:22:52 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008 08:07:39 AM »

Just one yarn this week
"Sid & Nancy"
90% wool top, 10% Mohair, with novelty yarn plied into it and some coils for fun.
2 ply
Bulky weight
4oz 150 yards

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/2587222302_c7f2716ffa.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2587221862_8635245b21.jpg
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011 11:23:07 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build a Dual Macro Flash for DSLR Macro Lens
How to Create a HDR Photo
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 1 of 4
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 2 of 4
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 3 of 4
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...