A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute summer dress:3 (NOW WITH TUT!!!)  (Read 29244 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , dress , summer_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alatarial
« on: June 19, 2008 07:23:27 PM »

So...I was bored. And I found some elastic and this fabric in my mum's closet. And this is what I came up with:

ANNND a puppy pic

K...so she's not really a puppy anymore

Its a full circle skirt, and the flounce measures 6.5 yards!

Because of all the requests I FINALLY got around to making a tut for this simple project! Have fun!

*****TUT ADDED*****

What you'll need:

Some thin elastic
2.5 yrds of cotton fabric (I used 2, but I'm reallllly small. Some people might want to use 3 yrds)
thread

HOW TO:

This is SOOO simple and easy to make, that there is no real need for pictures =D But I provided a couple to be nice

BODICE:

Decide how long you want your bodice to be. Measure, and add 1/2 inch for seam allowance. Mark it on the fabric. For the width, take the largest bodice measurement (whatever will be part of the bodice), whether it is the bust or the lower waist, and ADD 6 INCHES. You need to do this to give the dress the 'ruffled' effect. Mark that on the fabric as well. You should now have a rectangle drawn on your fabric. CUT.
Yes, this is one, continuous piece.

SKIRT:

I used this wonderful circle skirt tut ( http://www.whatthecraft.com/tuts/circ.htm )
Make sure to use the make the 'opening' of the skirt the SAME width as your bodice, minus seam allowance.
CUT.

FLOUNCE:

After you cutting the circle skirt, measure the outer edge of it. Multiply that by 2; that's your LENGTH. Mine ended up being 6.5 yrds long! My flounce was 1.5 inches long, but yours can be shorter or longer. Whatever floats your boat. Because it's so long, you will probably have to sew strips together.

THE ELASTIC:

Take the elastic and wrap it around the widest part of your body (that's part of the bodice). Make sure you stretch it out, but not so much that it digs into your skin. Be comfortable with how tight it is. That is how long you will cut your elastic. Decide how many 'strands' you want (I used 11 strands of elastic). But them all at the same length.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER:

I put in the elastic in the bodice first, but you can really put it together in any order you want, as long as you understand how it goes. It's really simple =]

First, roll a hem on the TOP of the fabric. Then mark evenly spaced lines of where you wanted to place the elastic. From there, pin down the ends of the elastic to the ends of the bodice. Make sure you're doing this on the WRONG SIDE of the fabric. Sew in place, stretching the elastic as you do, as so keep the fabric flat. Leave extra room at the bottom of the bodice.

(visual)

After you finish sewing on the elastic, sew your bodice shut, edges with edges.

Attach the skirt to the bottom of the bodice, stretching the bodice as you do so. I left this seem exposed, but you can hide it if you like.

Now, hem (optional...I didn't) and GATHER the flounce, so that it would fit the bottom of the skirt perfectly. This is the MOST TIME CONSUMING part of this project. Sew the edges together, an Pin it onto the bottom of the skirt and sew it on.

ANNNNND

YOU'RE DONE! =D

Upload your pics here, for me to see!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009 08:30:58 PM by Alatarial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008 07:32:56 PM »

That is very pretty! I LOVE it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
aussiesheela
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008 07:33:38 PM »

wow! great job! I would probably buy that if I found it in a store! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[[feminism is the radical notion that women are people]]
StarlaAdora
half jill / half jack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008 07:36:14 PM »

super cute!..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

be afraid of the lame, they'll inherit your legs...
crochetmama905
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008 07:46:15 PM »

That is SO CUTE!  And you look darling in it.  It is the perfect dress from that fabric.   
I do have two questions for you.....(1)  Did you design the pattern yourself?   (2)  Didn't it hurt to walk around outside barefoot??!!  (Cement I can understand, but the dirt and pebbles part...ouch!)   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imafundork
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008 07:51:07 PM »

Adorable! And judging by the pics it seems like you are having so much fun in your new dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Alatarial
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008 07:51:57 PM »

I do have two questions for you.....(1)  Did you design the pattern yourself?   (2)  Didn't it hurt to walk around outside barefoot??!!  (Cement I can understand, but the dirt and pebbles part...ouch!)   
1) Designed the pattern myself :3 Tons of fun, and super easy!
2) It did kinda hurt a bit, lol, but I thought my shoes looked kinda tacky w/ it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
variableenigma
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008 07:53:53 PM »

Your dress, your dog, and you are all completely adorable! I love those dresses with the elastic around the bodice- and I really like the dropped waist on yours. Very flattering. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hadassah
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008 08:10:42 PM »

Oh wow! I would love to have something like that! It's really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mi-mi-mia!

Uh oh! What's that?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008 08:18:34 PM »

Completely agree! It's adorable and you did a great job. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All That Glitters: The History of Shiny Things
How to Crochet a Basket Weave Stitch
How to Make a Pyramid Gift Box
Sweet Peas With Kim Westad
Upcycled Gift Wrap
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...