A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 316,231
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Funkified Maiko Kanzashi  (Read 14314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

romancedinthepast

Little bit of a huge nerd and loving every minute.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2005 02:24:02 PM »

Hiii : ) This is my first picture post.. I hope everyone likes it.

I used the folded flower tutorial, and instead of making a pin using fabric, I used some left over origami paper and some of my favorite beads and made a maiko-style kanzashi (without the danglies because I ran out of paper....) The wig its in is a maiko-styled wig I won off of Yahoo Japan Auctions some time ago. Hope everyone likes Cheesy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/romancedinthepast/kanzashi1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/romancedinthepast/kanzashi2.jpg
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011 08:57:58 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm always open to Personal Swaps!

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
Gothic & Lolita - Crafting!
Labyrinth - Waiting on Partners Cheesy
ilikeshrimp
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005 02:45:02 PM »

thats very cute! the colors (and the wig) are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005 07:45:43 PM »

Hey!  that rocks!  I love it and it looks awesome on the katsura!  Which maiko hairstyle is that one done in?  Lucky you!  I need to get my hands on a katsura for some performances this year :]

Are you the same romancedinthepast from the ImmortalGeisha.com forums by any chance? :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
spillyjane
the jane of yr dreams

you can't take me nowhere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005 09:10:46 PM »

that's gorgeous!  may i ask what you used for the base?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitblog, SpillyJane Knits at http://spillyjane.blogspot.com.
romancedinthepast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005 05:37:40 AM »

Hey!  that rocks!  I love it and it looks awesome on the katsura!  Which maiko hairstyle is that one done in?  Lucky you!  I need to get my hands on a katsura for some performances this year :]

Are you the same romancedinthepast from the ImmortalGeisha.com forums by any chance? :]

^_^ I think it's the momoware.

theres a picture of a wig from some website that shows what the back of mine looks lilke.

Yesh, that's me over at IG. I don't talk very much though...

I am an avid kimono collector... I love traditional Japanese culture, it facinates me : ) I think the geisha are absolutely remarkable and the maiko are so adorable. I think they're my favorite of all the "classic" kimono looks. I love color and just the whole child-like persona of the maiko tickles me to death. They're gorgeous, but at the same time cute as pie!

Hmm... Katsura... depends on what price you want to pay. Every now and then they will come up on Ebay but they end up in the 300-400 range. If you go to yahoo japan auctions and type in かつら (Katsura) then you get a whole ton of wigs (both "normal wigs" and katsura) and you can find some for as low as $50 some times. You can go through a shopping service such as Crescent Trading to get it for you : ) Actually, there's a maiko wig up on Y!J right now, it's so cute, but the starting price is $300 >< I can't afford that right now...

I use my wigs and such for performances too : ) If you get one, the only problem is that some of the wigs have bigger "caps" than others... I have five wigs total. two of which fit me, the other three do not >< Its rather annoying really. So, if its possible, if you find one that interests you, try to ask the seller if they can measure the "cap" of the wig so you don't end up with one thats going to squeeze you senseless, nor will it fall off if you bend down to straighten your kimono hem : )

that's gorgeous!  may i ask what you used for the base?

Ok, for each little flower I made two disks of posterboard, about quarter size for the bigger flowers, penny sized for the smaller. I punched a hole in one of the two disks and took a peice of wire about 10 inches long, bent the top inch of it or so into a 90 degree angle and then put glue over it and put the top disk on so the wire was sandwhiched between the disks. When I was totally finished with all my flowers (I had nine total but I'm sure you can use whatever number you want : ) ) I took a thicker peice of wire and bent it into a U shape and took one half of my flowers (2 of the big ones and two of the small ones) and using embroidery floss, I wrapped them to one of the two "legs" of teh U, leaving about an inch of space in the middle. Then I took the rest of the flowers and did the same to the other side. I can make a photo tutorial if anyone needs me to.

: ) Thank you for all the wonderful comments.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005 11:41:49 AM by romancedinthepast » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
Ayame
Psycho Jrocker

Hurry up hurry up wrist cut show

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005 05:11:22 PM »

Oh. MY GOSH! Those are so gorgeous!!! You collect kimonos?  Shocked I've been dying for one for special occasions! Pray tell, where do you get them?  Smiley The geisha and maiko are really quite amazing I believe. I love your origami kanzashi! If I could have one, I'd wear it everyday!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
romancedinthepast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005 06:36:32 PM »

Hee thank you very much Cheesy Thats so kind of you.

Actually, my hair is just barely long enough to be pulled into a pony tail.... but I'm going to make more of these flowers and attach them to little hair clips so I can wear them. It really isn't that hard to make them, just time consuming. I must have sat there for five hours just doing nothing but watching movies and folding paper. ><

Yes, I collect kimono : ) It's somewhat of a passion of mine. Get me going, I'll never stop I swear!! Theres lots of places you can get them, if you use ebay you can find litterally hundreds of kimono for good prices. My favorite kimono place though is Ichiroya.com. I'm friends with the owners and they are just wonderful people. If you're looking for something in particular, you can always email them and ask if they have it or if they can find it for you. I think one of the things that pulls me in is that every kimono is unique, and they all have a story. Not to mention, there is always something new to learn... every time I learn a new obi style I just have a party. Makes me so happy!

Ok, I'll quit that. Btw, you're into Jrock? I used to be a huge, huge fan of it. Who is your favorite band?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
.:popsi:.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005 04:33:59 AM »

those are absolutely beautiful Shocked a photo tutorial would be awesome, if you don't mind doing one of course.  i've always been fascinated with traditional japanese culture, but have only recently started trying to replicate some of the things that inspire me - this site has been a great help with that (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005 06:45:18 AM »

Aw, you should post more on the IG forums :]  My nick is ImmortalGeisha over there ;P  PucchiMaiko is my crafting side :]

I think I may have seen that particular katsura up for sale on yahoo Japan.  I check quite often for katsura - but, it really depends on what our budget is like here that particular month in order for me to bid on them.  I do need one by May at the latest this year though - as we have a few big Taiko concerts coming up with costumes, etc. I was thinking of getting one of the wedding katsura - as those are listed all the time, and restyling it (I purchased a complete set of traditional hair styling combs from yahoo Japan through Crescent Trading a few months ago) - but...I think I'd rather pay the extra money and get one that is made of real hair.  Many of the wedding ones (especially  new ones) seem to be made from synthetic hair - which is really difficult to restyle.  urgh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
romancedinthepast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005 08:24:12 AM »

You own that site? Oh, wow... I didn't realize that was you ^^;; Thank you for the invitation... I'll try to post a little more : )

Are they really made of synthetic hair?? the "youngest" one I have is 15 years... if any of them are sythentic I didn't even realize it. I was thinking about taking it down and using it as a base for a Japanese Princess wig, but I wouldn't even know where to start with that. I won a Juni Hitoe set some time ago off of ebay (after searching for what seemed like forever..) and I do a lot of performances with my kimono. I would like to incorporate that particular costume in, but I think it would look a little odd with a modern hairstyle ^^;;

What sort of performances do you do...? I was looking around here on Craftster and I saw that amazing Tayuu costume you put together. I'm very impressed : )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:
Fill a Mug - Crafting!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...