A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My pleated skirt for blending in with African animals...  (Read 17300 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , african  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2005 01:16:43 PM »

This is the new skirt I made for when I mysteriously find myself stranded in Africa, in desperate need of some camouflage:

Close-up of the back showing how the pleat covers the zip:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/6442animal3.jpg

Could work pretty well, don't you think?  Wink

I made it from a 50c pillowcase I found at the Sallies. The zip was also an op-shop purchase (10c), so the most expensive thing on it is the fancy hook & eye closure. The skirt would probably be much better for African winters than summers as it's that warm and slightly furry material that kids pj's are made of (flannel??), but unfortunately, this material does not hold pleats very well.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011 10:08:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Ayame
Psycho Jrocker

Hurry up hurry up wrist cut show

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005 01:34:19 PM »

Really cute  Smiley Hee, blending in indeed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shanaew

This is me, Stewie. I'm so cute.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005 02:02:34 PM »

kool skirt. how did u do the waistband thingy? i need camoflauge also pink or blue will be appreciated where can i find some? Ebay has none. Cuz im 12 and i wanna be a fashion designer. i made me a white pleated skirt yesterday. Kool skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tangerine420
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005 09:21:09 PM »

that is so adorable, I am jealous- I want one!! :O
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marim
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005 06:07:29 AM »

I really love the size of your pleats.  Could you let us know what the measurements were?  Also I like your idea for the closure.  I really wanted to try making a pleated skirt and now you've given me the courage (since it might be able to cover a crappy zipper job!). 

I keep reading on the board that to make the pleats stick around it helps to sew down the sides of them.  Does that mean to sew a little ways down the tops of each edge?  Trapping the pleats even more?  It seems to me as if that might look funny.  Does anyone understand what that means?  Maybe she could do it to this skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005 11:19:23 AM »

I keep reading on the board that to make the pleats stick around it helps to sew down the sides of them.  Does that mean to sew a little ways down the tops of each edge?  Trapping the pleats even more?  It seems to me as if that might look funny.  Does anyone understand what that means?  Maybe she could do it to this skirt.

Well, I don't know if this is what you mean, but for a lot of pleated skirts I've seen the pleat part is sewn down vertically on the edge about halfway or less, so it sticks down a little more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
jan_on_ice

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005 06:25:15 PM »

I really love the size of your pleats.  Could you let us know what the measurements were? 

I actually don't really like the size of my pleats! I wanted to do box pleats but there isn't all that much material in a pillowcase!!

I don't really know how to explain this so I'll do a pic instead:

<--------- 8cm--------->
      ___________________                    ________________
      |__                         __|                  |__
______|                       |_______________|
      <->                             <---6cm--->
     2cm                        <-------8cm-------->

I keep reading on the board that to make the pleats stick around it helps to sew down the sides of them. Does that mean to sew a little ways down the tops of each edge? Trapping the pleats even more? It seems to me as if that might look funny. Does anyone understand what that means? Maybe she could do it to this skirt.

I think that sewing vertically down the pleats is only for when there isn't a horizontal waistband like what I've got. It acts to make the pleats lie flat along your tummy, and would look weird if I did it on my skirt (trust me, I tried it Wink)

kool skirt. how did u do the waistband thingy?

Theres a tutorial around here somewhere that tells you how to do it, but basically you work out how tall you want it to be (say, starting at your waist and going down to your hips), then measure your waist and hips, and draw a pattern like a trapezoid (??). Well, like this:
  _____
/______\  and cut one for the front and two halves for the back (if you want a back zip), and the same for the lining (if you want lining). Sew the 3 pieces together at the side seams, (do the same for the lining). Put the waistband right sides together with the lining, sew along the top, flip the right way out. Then put the whole waistband right sides together with the pleated material, and sew along the bottom of the waistband (top of the pleats). Hope that makes sense!! If not, have a look and see if there's a tutorial somewhere.  Cheesy

And thanks for all the nice comments everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
imyourdensity

i had my back turned

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005 03:43:17 PM »

that is adorable! and very good camoflauge i might add. but i recommend keeping a safe distance from tigers. they might notice you and ive heard theyre very aggressive cuddlers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frends are for lovers
jan_on_ice

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005 10:41:00 PM »

but i recommend keeping a safe distance from tigers. they might notice you and ive heard theyre very aggressive cuddlers.

Yes, you're right, but I like them that way  Shocked Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
quaint eccentric
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005 01:59:29 AM »

oohh how cute! i love the material its so fun. Cheesy hippos are the bestest animals in the world
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when we are born we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools - william shakespeare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macho Makeover - Basic Adjustments 2
Photoshop Tutorial - Split Toning with Gradient Maps
How to Patch, Clone and Heal in Photoshop
How to Selectively Colorize an Image in Photoshop Part 1
How to make Lenoir Lashes in Photoshop - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...