A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
792 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clean-Along Its time for a major cleanup and redo- Post Your Own Pics  (Read 35407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kleinsch
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2008 06:32:35 AM »

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this post long enough to be inspired to clean my own craft room AND paint it (pics to come later!).  Everyone's work is so fantastic!

However, I have NO furniture in my craft room except one lone bookcase (because we moved from house where I had a "craft corner" that precluded any furniture. Now I am so lucky to have an entire closet, er, little room).  I am spinning my wheels about getting shelving and cabinets--I am so messy I can't cope with open shelving.  Everything must be hidden behind cabinet doors! Else I will go mad.  Anyone have pointers to good cupboards online?  I guess I could do Ikea, even though I'm so bad at reading pictures. And we don't live in a state with an Ikea store, I'm pretty sure. (Awwww.)

Also, does anyone have a good system for storing their yarn stash?? I don't have a huge one, and if pressed, I could actually get rid of much of it.  But it would be nice to keep some of it--where I can see it and have access to it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
edud

live by the sleeves of 1989

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2008 07:43:24 AM »

Also, does anyone have a good system for storing their yarn stash?? I don't have a huge one, and if pressed, I could actually get rid of much of it.  But it would be nice to keep some of it--where I can see it and have access to it. 

I am also looking for good yarn-stash-management ideas. Right now I have yarn that is already designated for projects in a giant Rubbermaid container in the closet, since I just have to get on knitting that stuff, and the yarn which still seeks inspiration stacked in milk crates. The only problem with that is it rolls out easily. I have a more active stash basket in my living room but those can easily get messy.

And NyteRayn, I bought my comic boards and am chugging away on that. I LOVE them. I might not use it for all my fabric, as I picked up this old wooden cigarette pack holder, and I'd like to use it as well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2008 08:15:36 AM »

this might be stupid, but would wine storage work for yarn?  they seem roughly the same size, unless you have balls not skeins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Whilow

Addicted to Swap Galleries.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2008 10:23:01 AM »

Sorry, I have been lurking here.  Everyone is doing such a great job with there rooms.

nataluna -- I saw someone do that on the below link.  It's the 6th picture.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=250918.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life beats down and crushes the soul, and art reminds you that you have one.
~Stella Adler~

Sing as if no one is listening.  Dance as if no one is watching.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
parallax
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2008 11:18:22 AM »

Alright.  Shame is a great motivator.

Our extra bedroom has become a disaster area of sewing explosions and I really need to get it cleaned up.  I've avoided taking pics before because of embarassment but I'm hoping to shame myself into organization.  We've been having weekly D&D games at our apartment and I always close that door and hope no one ever goes in!!! 
I'm also doing a crapton of sewing for my October wedding...which is why it's in such a messy state but also makes it very, very hard to get the sewing done well.

So here goes:

Walking in the door:

From the other side:

So that's the disaster.
I'm pretty overwhelmed and don't have much of a list.  I'm just trying to spend a half hour every day cleaning up.  With all the other stuff and checklists I've got going on, I'm not sure how I'm going to manage this but I know I have to!  The FH is encouraging me to register for rubbermaid bins and other sorts of organizational storage stuff.  And a Rowenta iron Wink so yeah, I gotta get this cleaned up.
A few things I know I need to do:
1) trip to the Salvation Army!  I have about 5 bags of clothing and a huge box of old electronics to donate
2) get all the unusable scraps, bits of thread and ribbon etc in the garbage
3) get all the fabric in the wire bins and all the pattern pieces in the pattern box
4) the divider thing in the corner is hiding a pile of FH's crap that also needs to be sold/donated/thrown away
5) Curtains!  I want curtains!

Aw man, this is gonna be an interesting process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimberly_Star
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2008 12:07:14 PM »

I get a boo for going backwards.  Here's my to do list:

Sort yarn: plan projects for everything in there or get rid of it.
Sort scrapbooking supplies
Organize files
Sort through each closet shelf - determine what to keep and what to sell/donate
Sort through clothes - determine what to keep and what to sell/donate
Have yard sale!  (Planned for Sep. 6th)
Plan closet organization
Buy organizers
Get rid of big craft cabinet - move items in it to back of closet
Move filing cabinet to closet
Buy/build corner desk that will accomodate computer and sewing machine
Buy/build bookcase for books that are in master bedroom
Paint
Make curtains for closet
Make curtains for windows
Bed linens
Headboard
Buy/build at least one bedside table

Well, #1 is sort yarn.  And what do I do?  Go buy more yarn.  Sheesh.  One of these days.  Oh, and the yard sale has been moved back to Sep. 26 which means 20 more days with all of this clutter.  Boo again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimberly_Star
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2008 05:31:28 PM »

This is what I'm thinking of for my craft room.  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675

I would really like to put the yarn in the closet, but that may not be possible.  I'm planning on putting this against a wall and using it for books and knick-knacks, but it would be great for yarn.  You could have a cubby for each type; wool, acrylic, fancy, etc.  They even sell drawers and "cabinet doors" that fit inside so you could store your hooks/needles, stitch markers, etc. right next to your yarn.  They also sell a more narrow one with only two columns rather than four.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008 05:32:52 PM by Kimberly_Star » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2008 01:05:38 AM »

Target has some great shelves with doors and drawers and then 'cubbies' that I Think are made for shoes that would be excellent for yarn storage.  They are around $25 per thingie but really do help eliminate clutter Smiley  might help someone looking for ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
photojenn
Clothing Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2008 05:27:37 AM »

Another great idea that I noticed a lot of people use around here is wire shelving.  I just picked some up last weekend similar to these:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E4bOkOqmL._SS260_.jpg
They were $15 for 6 interlocking cubes and you can use the previously mentioned baskets with them.  I used one set in the bedroom closet for clothes and one set in the craft room for fabric.  Definitely a great purchase!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008 01:06:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Changed hotlinked image to link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2008 06:35:44 AM »

WOW! Where did you get them for 6/$15...that sounds like a reasonable price!
That ikea sjhelving system was a work surface you can attach right to the front of it! I thought it was pretty cool!

OK...here is my to do in this room for today and tommorrow....

1.trash out (not really much, but I will check)
2. throw out/give away old magazines in HUGE red tub working on now...
3. get all scrapbooking supplies put up in white cabinet
4. put guitar/amp back in music room
5. carry out consignment clothes to study-start listing
6. load boxes of donate junk
7. put away all fabric scraps
8. finish empying bookshelves-need boxes
9. fold fabric on shelf
10. rearrange couch/chair
11. rearrange craft side
12. continue sorting and culling
added for the weekend...
13. get pictures on wall
14. get shelving hung
15. tidy wiring
16. tackle "corner of doom"

I will update later  Wink
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008 06:23:39 AM by sweetiepickles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Wings
How to make a Ham & Onion Omelet
How to make Mac Attack
NY Strip Steak & Potatoes with Chef John Schenk
How to Cook a Tuna Fish
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Favorite Vegan Recipes
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...