A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: selling patterns  (Read 790 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilMissPink
« on: June 18, 2008 07:53:18 AM »

how much do knit/crochet patterns generally cost?? i dont even use free ones so idk  Cheesy

i also dont plan on writing them the traditional way (short hand, row by row, etc.) instead i plan on giving step by step pictures and guidelines rather than specific instructions [cast on 100, 110, 120 stitches].

can anyone give me a general price range?? is $20 too little? too much? thanks

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008 10:51:41 AM »

I would say it depends on the pattern, and also on the type of instructions you have.  For example, the the pattern for the top I designed is only in XS because I don't know sizing tricks.  I just offer mine for free because it requires so many mods to make it fit. 

I know that I wouldn't pay $20 for a pattern, but I basically only use free ones.  But $20 seems high to me.  Especially if the instructions are going to be in pictures and not actual pattern form...that requires more calculations and work from the buyer/knitter.  I would suggest less than $10, but maybe someone else will have some input.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xohsweetnothin
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008 08:34:22 PM »

I wouldn't pay 20 for a pattern, it just seems like WAY too much to me.. but then again I get most of my patterns for free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Nothing is free. Even the birds are chained to the sky."
Riki
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008 09:05:32 PM »

I have purchased several patterns on line - some were PDF files that I could download immediately (my favorite kind) and some had to be mailed. The most expensive was $7.50 and the cheapest was $5. All of these patterns were from established designers and companies.

Riki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissTaken

Walter & Perry 4-ever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008 09:40:13 PM »

Riki is right.  I've seen them for $4.50-$7.50.  Full books (with photos and play by play) cost around $15-$25, so I agree that $20 is way too much.  Good luck with your patterns.  I love the idea of nontraditional instructions, so once you have them going let us all know.  I'd definitely be interested, and I'm sure other people would be too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissPink
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008 06:26:32 AM »

ok thanks. i wish i could give you an example of what i mean. the finished pattern will end up around 20 pages, which is a lot more work for me but actually less work for whoever buys the pattern because like i said its not specific so you can make it to your own measurements but at the same time you wont have to grab a calculator and figure it out yourself (I also leave spaces throughout the pattern for the person to write in their measurements and gauge, so the math will practically do itself). there will also be tons of pictures, just to be clear because i use a lot of methods that arent really familiar (just came up with them myself). so i figured a little more pricey would be appropriate but i guess not i see what you mean. thanks

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
StitchMarkers4U
Knitter

Wiccan 4 Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008 07:06:48 AM »

All the patterns I have bought have been between $1 (washcloths) and $5.

I have seen a pattern for Soakers that sales for $12. But that includes like 4 different patterns and options for making them many different ways.
(I haven't bought it but I know someone who has it. I WILL NOT pay $12 a  pattern.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is like a gifted bag of yarn!
You never know what your going to get!
But you love it anyways!
honeydew
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008 06:21:40 PM »

For $20, there had better be extensive but very legible charts, yarn sub suggestions, no errors, a wide array of sizing options, and (of course) an interesting finished product.  for perspective: $20 buys three issues of interweave knits off the newstand, it will buy a pattern booklet or two from a source like rowan or berocco, etc.  lots of patterns, in hardcopy format with pretty pictures.

alternatively, you could market your patterns as a training course -- not just a pattern, if you're writing up guidelines that will help teach techniques (i.e., detailed writeup of how to do double-knitting in order to create the project, or something like that).  the soaker pattern referenced above includes a lot of pictures, a lot more sizes than you think 'babies' would need, and very detailed instructions with photos for short rows, picot hems, picking up stitches, making a knitted hem, a peasant lace stitch pattern -- plus, theresa makes herself available in various forums for pattern support (and she gets asked a lot of questions, which she always answers gracefully). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mary Alice Monroe Talks About Time Is a River
Kathy Ireland Talks About Real Solutions for Busy Moms Devotional
Riku Campo Talks About Best in Beauty
Zoe FitzGerald Carter Talks About Imperfect Endings
Hunts the Cool Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...