A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,776
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's talk about cooking unusual meats (tongue, knuckles, rabbit etc)  (Read 5731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008 05:07:50 AM »

For example, tongue.  I have been told it's quite tasty, and it's appealing in the 'using the whole animal' idea of less wastefulness.  I found some at the latin meat markets but it had so much blood (and was so expensive) I lost my nerve.  Then I found it at an American supermarket but again, the look of tongue- all hairy and tounge-y looking- made me again turn away.  I know you shave this part off.  Could a butcher do this for me, do you think, or should I just get over it!

Rabbit (This seems like something that should be eaten more often, there are so many of them everywhere?)
Knuckles- I see this a lot in Julia Child's books but I can't find it anywhere, or much info on what you do to prepare it?  It looks like she sticks them in stocks to add flavor, maybe?
Blood- I see vats of it in the markets and wonder if it's safe or could make up anything good.
Livers- It looks pretty healthy but I can't find it anywhere.
Oxtail- Again, I have no idea what this would taste like or where to find it.

Tongue is quite good (apparently makes great sandwiches)

Rabbit is really good, especially in pie

Knuckles, i've only ever had them on the continent but they're good, alot of meat, usually served with saurkraut (cabbage), i'm fairly sure they boil them up with some veg etc

Blood, make it into Black Pudding (or blood sausage as it's sometimes known in other parts) it's very tastey, i think we should get some in for our visitors this weekend

Livers and Oxtail i've never knowingly eaten but i am assured they're very good

You tried Haggis? proper haggis is very tastey, cheap haggis usually has too much barley in it and other stuff that shouldn't be there or just doesn't taste nice

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
A Needle In A HAystack

Old....but not dead yet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008 05:29:34 AM »

Gosh .. that last pic sort of looks like some one mutilated Mick Jaggar....

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008 09:32:49 AM »

In Montreal I can get a horseburger but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Smiley

I buy it on a regular basis... It is a lot leaner and is more healthy than beef. We use it it anything that we would use ground beef in.

Natural living Mama of three boys and a beautiful girl...
I blog about my crafts (needle felting and spinning) parenting, recipes and more.
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008 07:04:21 PM »

Being from a rural area with a pretty bad economic situation, so there are quite a few things we eat on a pretty regular basis that other people seem to find weird. I was actually surprised the first time I had a friend over for dinner and she got squeamish over rabbit stew.

We regularly have rabbit, bear, venison, grouse, pretty much any sort of game animal available here. I've had moose, elk, and buffalo cross my dinner table, but that's not nearly as common since it's not something we can get from the back forty, lol.

Gaze upon the uselessness and tremble..
Avian Flight
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008 11:28:19 PM »

i'm surprised no one mentioned chicken feet yet. it's rubbery, sorta like cartilage, but can be cooked so that the meat? can fall off the bones. in chinese restaurants you can order it during dim sum hours. cooked in a sweet and spicy sauce - it's soft and delish. my mom makes another dish that results in it being chewy/bouncy. it's hard to describe. she boils it and then tosses it in sesame oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds then chills it until cold.

i actually like tripe. i try not to think of what it is.

i've had rabbit twice in my life. it tastes good, like chicken but i avoid eating it because bunnies are cute.

had ostrich once in a thai restaurant - tasted like beef.

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008 05:33:11 AM »

Mmmmm, liver. Beef liver that is. I loved it as a kid. Stopped eating it as an adult until I found I could get organic beef liver.
Haven't tried much else. My great grandfather used to eat pork brains in his scrambled eggs. I couldn't/wouldn't do that, but he liked it. But, then again, he was born in the 1880's. Food habits change over time. Smiley
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008 05:15:45 PM »

This is such a fun thread!  I recently have started buying some non-typical food item each week just to try it out and see what i like, so this gives me all sorts of ideas. Oh there are so many wonderful foods out there that are just waiting for us to try. 

I think the craziest thing i have ever eaten was a "crocodile burger" in Costa Rica that i didn't know was real crocodile until i was about half-way done with it!   it wasn't bad though, just a burger...

My favorite so far though is duck.  I wholeheartedly recommend it, holy smokes, with some sort of fruity glaze, mmmmm... 

greenspan still rocks my monetary policy
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008 07:28:58 PM »

The key to making liver mild and to help purge it some is to soak it in milk before you do anything else to it. Rinse, soak, dredge fry/sautee. Yummy!  Chicken livers are good as well.

Heart tends to be very good but it it very sink-your-teeth-into-it, not chewy, just full bodied.

My daughter loves to eat pho. The one she orders at the pho shop we go to has tendon, tripe, flat crispy, and just about every cut of beef.  Everyone we know freaks out that she loves the trip and tendon better than anything else in the soup.

Tripe is interesting.

Tongue is yummy.

Rabbit does indeed taste like chicken, but I am hung up on having had pet rabbits and therefore I abstain from it.

Deer and buffalo are goooood, but make me very ill.

Goat is good! And easy to cook.

Frog legs are yummy. Shark is good, but makes me sick. Shark fin soup is very interesting, the fin looks like glass noodles and are slightly crunchy. ( I had it at a friend of my mom's wedding. It was a culinary experience! A traditional Chinese wedding with more courses than I could count. )

It's been awhile.
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008 07:15:50 PM »

My mom ate tongue as a kid because it was cheap since it was basically leftovers. She has made it a couple times for us, but we mainly like it for shock value. I don't think she peels hers, it usually still looks tongue-like with the skin flaking off. But, yeah, it has gotten expensive and basically tastes like roast beef.
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008 10:35:04 AM »

Wow! I'm reading this and I'm guessing that you guys are all white ( american,european). I am Thai and have eaten beef tongue,chicken feet,chicken hearts, pork blood,liver (both beef and chicken), pig ears, feet,intestines,ox tail ( my fav!) and tripe. Also there is this part of the fish called the air bladder which i dried and then made in a soup. My husband has tried balut. (It's nasty.) And don't even get me started on what my grandfather has eaten!

(\_/) Help Mr. Rabbit take over.
(o.o) He eats the nonbelievers...
(> <) Copy Mr. Rabbit or be EATEN!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Flower Bouquet
Make It Easy: DIY Paper Flower Bouquet
DIY Colorful Leather-Wrapped Keychains
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...