A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Illusion Knitting Tutorial  (Read 11261 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2008 05:23:59 PM »

So...I decided to put this as a new post so everyone could check it out.  This is my first time doing a tutorial so be patient with me.  First off...This is the scarf that started it all...

You can read all about it at my other post (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248899.0).

So...I started out by figuring out what I wanted to make.  I decided on the Patriot's logo because:

1.  If he went to a Pat's game, he might need a scarf and he's too manly to wear a hat (I'm working so hard on that). 
2.  It was simple and would look good in two colors.

With illusion knitting you are just making fancy stripes so make sure you K.I.S.S (keep it simple sweetie).

I am a child of the digital age and like doing things on my computer.  This is mainly because I lose stuff like mad and this allows me to have a backup.  So, once I decided what I wanted, I went out and found a picture of the Pats logo.  I am sure you could scan in your own image.  I saved it to my computer.  You can save it as a GIF, JPEG, or PNG.  I think mine was a JPEG.  I'll check once I am back on my other computer. 

Once you have your picture go to Knit Pro (http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/).  If you haven't used this, start.  It is an awesome free program that will convert your picture into a chart for crochet, knitting, cross stitch, or needlepoint.  I, of course, chose knitting.  Knitting has two options (portrait or landscape) and I went with landscape.  I can't remember which grid size I chose, but that depends on your gauge and how large you want the finished project to be.  With a 6'4" bf, I wanted a pretty long scarf.  Now, all you have to do is click where is says browse and upload the picture from your computer.  After you do all of that, click okay...and magically a pattern comes up.

Now...the slightly tricky bit and time consuming bit.  There were a couple problems:

1.  Even though my picture was navy and white, I had some squares that were inbetween colors.  Remember, this is a two color project.

2.  Since I had never done illusion knitting before, I really didn't want to rely on my memory to make sure I didn't miss rows.

Now, if you aren't as nuts as I am skip this part!  Seriously, it took a while.  Granted, now I have a pattern forever.

I opened excel and made the squares really small.  I color coded so I wouldn't botch.  I'll put a mini design up to show you what I mean if you need.

Basically, with your pattern, you just keep repeating four rows.  It is like stretching your knit pattern out into four rows so it ends up being a lot longer and really lends itself to scarves:

1.  Knit across in background color( on mine this was blue).  Remember how I told you that you had to pick two colors?  Well, one is the background color and one is pattern color.
2.  Follow pattern using in the background color.  The places that are going to be background in the end are knit (because we are on the back of the work, they will be raised up when we flip the work) and the ones that are going to be part of your awesome illusion are purled (so they will be overshadowed by the second color when we get to it).

Hope I haven't lost anyone.  You should have two rows knit in your background color now.  DO NOT CUT YOUR BACKGROUND COLOR!  Just string it up the side as you go.

3.  Knit across in your pattern color (on mine this was a natural color).
4.  Follow the pattern using the pattern color.  This is the reverse of step 2 above.  Where you purled above, you'll knit now and vice versa.  This is all about getting certain stitches to stand up and others to lie down in a pattern.

Wow....You just finished the first row of your pattern.  Now, repeat steps 1-4 for row 2 and so forth.

I am a little nuts about some things so I took my pattern and put it into excel.  Basically, I made the squares in excel really small and color coded where I was supposed to knit and purl with my background color and where I was supposed to knit and purl with my pattern color.  This took a lot of time, but I think it helped me where it was my first illusion piece.

So...I hope this wasn't too confusing.  I will be happy to answer any questions.  I also found, as I was trying to come up with clear directions this site (http://www.instructables.com/id/Shadow-or-Illusion-Knitting/) that had nice picture directions. 

Get as creative as you want with this.  Remember, the point is making it your own cutom design.  Well, thank you for keeping on reading and hit 'this rocks' if my tutorial is at all good and or inspiring.  Grin

I forgot so I am editing...You might want to knit a few rows just in stripes to start....and remember to do some in garter stitch on the edges if you don't want it to roll.  Although, that only matters if you'll have parts that are plain stockinette....Sorry about the rambling.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008 05:31:38 PM by Rumpazel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
HermioneJ
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008 05:27:08 PM »

Oh man, thanks for the tutorial!
I've not tried illusion knitting yet, and I will with your tutorial.
The link to the program's great too!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
black and white photo
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008 05:29:08 PM »

Wow, deffinatly amazing work.  i am really glad that you took the time and dedicated yourself to this project.  i know if i had done that i would probably have given up after the first few rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008 05:29:29 PM »

Thank you.... Grin

If you make something with it, post it here so the inspiration will spread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008 05:41:39 PM »

Awesome!  You did a great job on that!

I wish I knew how to do Illusion Crochet though.
That website you provided sounds awesome.....I'll have to bookmark that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twylag
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008 05:43:50 PM »

too cool!  makes me want to try knit the word "princess" into a scarf for miss-priss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008 02:44:33 PM »

You could totally knit princess....Just design the word (by hand or computer, then follow the steps)....Post it here if you do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...