A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: odd request...crochet deer head?  (Read 2454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaisleyMoose
« on: June 16, 2008 03:16:27 PM »

One of my best friends has a deer head in his room at home and I thought that for his birthday I'd crochet (or knit) him a small one for his dorm room (with a Santa hat too! he puts one on his deer head as well as various other hats).

I have a deer pattern from the book Amigurumi: Super Happy Crochet Cute by Elisabeth A. Doherty but was looking for something more buck like (but I might just add antlers [I could make these out of amigurumi tubes with pipe cleaners inside and just sew on more tube pieces branching off, right?] on top of it and call it a day!). Then I thought maybe I could modify a cow pattern but I'm new to crochet so I'm not too good at making things up. Any ideas?

Also I need to knit or crochet a "mounting board" for the head (y'know what I mean, right?). Could I just crochet something flat in rows and increase that the beginning and end of rows to get the right shape? If there's a better way to go about shaping, please let me know! Alternately, if any of you know of a knitting technique or pattern, I can knit too.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008 03:27:39 PM by PaisleyMoose - Reason: book titles are important » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008 05:41:26 PM »

For the head board I'd do what you described, but find yourself some cardboard. Cut it to the shape you want, try to match it when you make your form. Then you can make two of the headboard pieces and stitch them together with the cardboard inside. That would let him hang it without too much trouble, I'd think. And antlers as amigirumi tubes would probably work fine. Smiley Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008 03:43:25 PM »

Oh thank you! I think I'm going to end up double knitting the head board but I really like the cardboard idea to help shape and then insert.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 07:27:13 AM »

The pattern your talking about in the super happy crochet book, you know how it dont have antlers and its a baby fawn.  I found an actuall deer head pattern with antlers!!!  yes yes yes!  It looks just like a deer too, unlike the other one you are going to do which looks more like a little fawn.  Oh and its FREE!  Heres the link:  http://www.roxycraft.com/crochet_rory_reindeer.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 10:36:20 AM »

thanks SO much missmoppet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wawamommy
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008 09:00:58 PM »

LOL!  I just bought 2 patterns off of ebay, one for a tiny deer head, the other for a moose head.  They are vintage, and were relatively inexpensive, a couple of bucks with shipping I think.  They once were a part of a magazine.  Maybe this is another option for you, in case the aformentioned suggestions don't work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Sandra Gulland
Meet Author Michael Katakis
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Anthony McCarten Talks About Show of Hands
Will Bunch Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...