A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 9 patch madness  (Read 1549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chinarockfishakm

Ralphie Jr. (Christmas Story)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 16, 2008 11:21:13 AM »

I got 3 packs of charm squares (Tula Pink-Flutterby) and im making a dissapearing nine patch out of them. I want to make it as random as possible. Im sewing the strips of 3 blocks together first out of blocks chosen randomly from a bag. Then im going to put the strips in a bag and sew them together into the nine patch as I pick them randomly again. Im not going for any kind of pattern here at all. Has anyone else done this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft-ish Blog: http://notimeforcrafting.blogspot.com/

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
grandmaluvs_alex
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008 05:59:55 PM »

I haven't tried this for quilting, but I have a knitted blanket work in progress using the same principle. I got the pattern from a website, though for the life of me I can remember where. I lost the pattern that I printed out; it's a good thing it's a simple pattern, lol! I've had it going for quite some time, since it uses leftover scraps from yarn projects.

The idea is to put small balls of yarn, only a few yards apiece, into a bag. Reach in with out looking, and what you pull out is what you use, no matter what color it is. I think it's a heck of a lot of fun, definately makes for some interesting results!

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work using fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008 07:50:49 PM »

Maybe it would help to separate the fabrics into a "dark" bag and a "light" bag. 

From this website, it seems that its more dramatic if your "X" in the square is dark and the other four squares are light. 

I like your idea of the stripes too.  Can't wait to see photos of the finished product.

BTW, thanks for posting this link.  I've seen examples of this and didn't know what it was.  When I google'd the name, I was like, "OH WOW!  THAT'S that pattern!  That's how you do it!"  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008 12:08:11 PM by rainylakechick - Reason: edited to fix the URL » THIS ROCKS   Logged

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008 09:51:26 PM »

I did this same thing last month, and I love the way it came out.  I tried to make it random but I did make a concerted effort to put the prints I liked the best in the four corners so they would appear big in the quilt.  I also tried to put solids in the center so they would be the smallest when cut up. 

I used four of Moda's Fresh Squeezed charm packs.  I went through one charm pack at a time and made all my blocks, then cut those up, and then mixed then with the other cut up blocks from that set.  When 1 charm pack was assembled into the disappearing nine patch blocks I set that aside and started a fresh charm square pack.  When I had all four charm packs assembled into the blocks I mixed them up into the quilt top.  I haven't posted it here because it is just a top currently.  I still need to add backing and quilt it!
There is a picture of the finished top below on my blog.
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com/2008/05/fresh-squeezed-disappearing-nine-patch_28.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
chinarockfishakm

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008 06:28:22 AM »

I decided it would be a bit small using only 3 packs so I just bought 2 more. THis will make it more usable I think. In the meantime I will keep cutting the blocks I have already done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone wanna help a good cause and buy a sonography class cookbook so I can go to a seminar in September? They are $15 alone, and $20 with handmade potholders. PM me!
SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008 08:02:44 AM »

I haven't made a disappearing nine patch, but I used this same technique for the Marquee quilt from "The Modern Quilt Workshop."  I had to sew a million strips of greens together and I wanted them to be as random as possible.  I threw them in a tub, mixed them up and then blindly grabbed a strip to sew.  It turned out AWESOME so this technique definitely works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008 12:10:19 PM »

audrey1999, very cool quilt top! 

I don't know about you guys, but I am so logical in my thought process, it actually hurts my brain to make something appear random.  So much more thought, time, and frustration go into a "random" quilt than a quilt that is organized and repeating! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

E.D.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008 09:06:16 PM »

I agree with rainylakechick nothing is quite so challenging as just being random.  So far when ever I do a "random" quilt I still end up laying the whole thing out and shuffling blocks until it looks right.  I like the idea of the throwing it all into a bag it forces you to do things you wouldn't normally do.  Can't wait to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chinarockfishakm

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008 06:14:34 AM »

even after I cut the squares from the 9 patch im going to throw those in a bag and arrage randomly too. I like order and symmetry too so it will be interesting to see if I can just leave it alone. HAHA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008 06:17:28 AM »

even after I cut the squares from the 9 patch im going to throw those in a bag and arrage randomly too. I like order and symmetry too so it will be interesting to see if I can just leave it alone. HAHA!

hahahaha, I wish you the best of luck -- to leave it alone!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Neutralizing and Conditioning
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Processing the Relaxer
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Applying the Relaxer
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Pre-Treatment
Learn to Texturize Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...