A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
799 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding Planner & Planning Scrapbook  (Read 14760 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*MAR*
« on: June 16, 2008 09:55:04 AM »

Hello! I thought some other brides might find a couple things I did for our wedding helpful. One was I made my own version of the ubiquitous wedding planning book to keep us on schedule and the other was a scrapbook for the planning, to keep all those tidbits arranged for a look back later.

A) The Wedding Planner

I wasn't able to find a wedding planner on the market that suited my needs so I created my own. There are a few websites that were helpful, I just printed up the planning pages that I needed from them and added the ones that I needed but couldn't find. I printed up an inspirational picture and added letters. I carried this thing around with me to every appointment and interview I had during this period. It was my planning bible.

I put folders inside and saved every card we rec'd and marked on the back of each when I had finished writing the thank you. I never had to worry "Did I send Mr. & Mrs. Unnecessary Crystal Thing their thank you?", I knew I had if it was written on the back of the card. I kept one folder for each event. Local Wedding Shower, Michigan Wedding Shower, Chicago Wedding, Michigan Reception.

I added business card pages and could find anyone's business card immediately.
A very helpful $3 purchase.

I used these websites to print up pages that corresponded to our particular planning needs:
http://desenolab.toky.com/planner/timeline.html
http://www.howstuffworks.com/how-to-plan-a-wedding.htm
http://www.diybride.com/forums/index.php?sid=23829c1c58a0dbcc1c676f05f5a8a322

My particular binder had tabs & sections for all of these topics:
Marriage License Info, Budget, Financial Planning & Payment Dates, Important Phone Numbers, Ring/Jeweler Information, Florist/Flowers, Photographer, Rhearsal, Ceremony/Vows, Officiant, Reception Site, Seating Floorplans, Caterer, Baker Gowns/Alterations, Registrations Info, Shower, Brunch, Honeymoon, Rentals, Thank You's.

B) The Wedding Planning Scrapbook

This is fairly self explanatory. I had a lot of bits and bobs that I wanted to hold onto because I planned and designed and produced most everything for our wedding. In this scrapbook I kept copies of Save the Dates, Invitations, photos of us getting our marriage license, Engagement Photos, planning style sheets, photos of wedding showers & copies of invites, and I pressed flowers from my bridal bouquet and put them in glassine envelopes on a page with photos of our wedding flowers and my Mom and I creating the bouquets. I needed this extra scrapbook for all the things that just weren't in the scope of the wedding album and it made it possible for me to shove actual cards and notes into. This would be a GREAT thing to do for a bride if you're a bridesmaid, just save things along the way and photograph as many details as you can.

Cheap-o $5 scrapbook from the dollar store with one of our engagement photos in the front:

I kept buying scrapbook paper in each of our wedding reception's colours everytime JoAnn's or Michaels had a big sale and then just used whichever felt right:

These pages showed all the bits of paper I collected and swatches of fabric and inspiration ideas for the look of the wedding, I did this for both receptions because they were different colour schemes:
Chicago Wedding & Reception:

Michigan reception:

Copies of the invites, rsvps, menu, ceremony program:

Pressed flowers from the bouquet saved in glassine envelopes and showing us making them:

Newspaper clippings:

Shower photos and saved invitations:

Colour shift and second reception:

Second reception's invites, handmade:

Wow, if you made it THIS far, you're a real trooper!
 Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008 10:19:56 AM by *MAR* » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vixin
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008 10:09:15 AM »

wow  this is fantastic, im definately going to make a wedding planner like that for when im planning my wedding
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyPop
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008 11:53:59 AM »

Awesome, thanks for sharing this - it's now bookmarked!

Per the other thread, I found a really awesome binder on Etsy that was sold out. I contacted the seller about doing a custom one, but if I don't hear anything, I'm heading to Office Depot this weekend and getting the supplies to DIY. This post (especially divider topics) will be very helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teaparty

Crafting as thesis therapy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008 03:33:56 PM »

Why did I never think to check how stuff works.com?
helpful.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampires may be very sexy. Distraction by a sexy vampire may interfere with proper use of Vampire Detector. Vampire Detector is not responsible for sexy vampires.
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008 07:11:34 AM »

Wow! I like this so much that I plan on making 3: for the bride, for her mother, and for me (mother of groom). Then we can plan on meeting up regularly and sharing what we found. We'll keep the bride's book as the main one, and the moms' books as idea collectors. We have time on our side, too: May 2009 is the target.
THANKS for sharing your wonderful ideas and beautiful wedding with us!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008 11:08:08 AM »

I'm glad this idea could help y'all. I know that the planners on the market were worse than useless for my situation. BTW, I also did pocket style sheets for my Mother In Law to-be, with all the colours for both events, at her request. I didn't take pictures of them, but this is the basic premise; I took two blank folding greeting cards, glued & taped in all the different ribbon swatches, fabric swatches, paint colours, one for each of our receptions. So, when she went shopping to buy her Mother of the Groom dresses for our Chicago wedding and Michigan reception, she had the colours for each event right there in her purse and could say "yes, that works with the colours" or "no way!". That worked out wonderfully for her and she was BY FAR the most perfectly colour-matched person at both events. I was very impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*MAR*
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008 11:16:28 AM »

Awesome, thanks for sharing this - it's now bookmarked!

Per the other thread, I found a really awesome binder on Etsy that was sold out. I contacted the seller about doing a custom one, but if I don't hear anything, I'm heading to Office Depot this weekend and getting the supplies to DIY. This post (especially divider topics) will be very helpful.

Kick it over here BabyPop!
(Sorry, I could NOT help myself!)
I can't wait to see the custom binder you come up with. That is a great idea!
I also invested in a three hole punch, I used it about a thousand times.
But, that depends on what sort of binder you end up with.
If you don't hear back from the Etsy seller you may also be able to find a binder with a paper substrate and could decoupage the cover to suit the bride.
Either way, this is going to be a very helpful, thoughtful and cool gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BabyPop
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008 11:51:13 AM »

Well I will be working on this over the weekend and probably next week, too. The custom one at Etsy was going to be close to $75...which...it was beautiful and I know it would be worth the price, but that is just way out of my  price range.

However my sister and her fiancee are going back and forth about big wedding v. small wedding (he wants small, immediate family only....we have a LARGE immediate and extended family and are a lot closer to them all than he is with his, so my sister wants large)...I guess I can still do a binder for her that will get used either way. It is funny though b/c she only wanted me as a bridesmaid but he wants several men as groomsmen so she has to add more bridesmaids...what a pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008 07:48:36 PM »

Mar! I love your little scrapbook thingie. I'm always in awe of people who make really pretty scrapbooks, cuz mine always look stupid haha. And I'm really glad you listed all the sections in your book; I have a wedding binder that I never use cuz I just feel it's not very organized. Maybe I'll get off my arse tomorrow and do that. Yay for you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
*MAR*
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008 10:01:11 AM »

Thanks Kster! I don't know how "good" my scrapbook looks, but at least I was able to DO something with the little extras that I had collected through the process. It is a fun book to look back on, too. I still need to properly scrapbook the Michigan wedding shower. I sort of lost steam at that point! I am going to take it the next time we head to visit DH's family, because one of his Aunts is the ultimate scrapbooker. Maybe she can inspire me again and I can play with all her scrapbooking toys.

Hey Kster, I also wanted to tell you I finally got around to getting my husband and I's version of our wedding album done. I did this one on MyPublisher too. We just got it yesterday. 100 pages! The most you can do. But, it does encompass both our Chicago wedding/reception and our Michigan reception. So, there was ALOT to pack in there. Here's the link if you wanna check it out. It took me foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eever to edit all those photos and lay everything out, but I am pretty pleased with it! So, when the time comes and you get to your wedding album, this is a lot cheaper than having your photographer do it and looks nice.
http://www.mypublisher.com/bookshelf/bookviewer.py?d=tq%3Ey-cppl%60je%3E3362543
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Natural Mask for Dry Hair
Carolina Herrera Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Tracy Reese Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Hair Extensions Backstage at the Nicole Miller Fall 2012 Fashion Week Show
Hair Straightening Tips With Heidi Klum
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...