A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From Shoeboxes to Crafty Boxes!  (Read 3289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KonichiwaKay
« on: June 14, 2008 10:06:28 PM »

In order to keep track and organize all my craft supplies and projects, I tend to keep everything in shoe boxes. However, all the random shoe box colors seemed to make the area look cluttered so I came up with a way to try and make them blend in with everything and look a little more aesthetically pleasing!

I found some cute 1$/yard material at Walmart so I bought about 1/2 to 3/4 of a yard of each material and some Fabri-tac (originally I was going to use Liquid starch but I wasn't quite sure how I'd manage to get the damp material to stay formed around the boxes). Once I got home I used newspaper to create a pattern from the boxes so that I would know how to cut the material, once I did that I wrapped the material around the boxes and VOILA! ^^

Before Pic:

After Pic:

It occurred to me while I was working on the boxes that it probably would have been a little easier to use wrapping paper instead of fabric Tongue, but at the same time, I  think the fabric adds just a little more interest.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008 09:40:46 PM by KonichiwaKay » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CupcakeChelsea

Personal Swap Friendly! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008 10:19:45 PM »

Cute! I like fabric instead of wrapping paper anyway. It just adds a little something something  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Today I woke up feeling lovely, happiness overflowin' knowin' somebody loves me."

Hi I'm Chelsea, I'd love to meet you!
megarobertson
I make it Rain dear!

Jennifer Perkins is my Hero!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008 10:23:05 PM »

Cute fabric! I know what you mean by all those different boxes making it look cluttered. This is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everyone's a photographer.
My Wist:http://wists.com/megarobertson
sunshyn_stef
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008 10:28:29 PM »

Well aren't you smart!  I need to stop spending money on plastic bins.  Smiley  They look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.FeetPrints.net ...my crafts, my family, my life

Handmade gifts of Aloha ~ www.AlohaDesigns.ne t
acire

om mani padme hum!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008 11:34:48 PM »

So funny, I have boxes exactly like those (pre-craft) sitting here and I hadn't thrown them away yet because I was sure they'd have some use! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mssyfshy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008 02:52:39 AM »

The fabric looks great and will make them last longer than the paper would've.
Great Job.
 When my kids were still in diapers I use to reuse the plastic boxes that the wipes came in for craft stuff. They stacked nicely and the lids were hinged. I've also seen people cover laundry detergent boxes (the big ones with a handle) with paper or fabric those would be nice for bigger items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008 06:14:11 AM »

I like em, and I bet the fabric will hold up longer than wrapping paper would, good job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
smalleah
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008 08:42:57 AM »

What a great idea... I keep all of my dress shoes in their original boxes to keep them dust free and prevent them from getting crushed in my closet - I'm definitely going to check the fabric clearance rack and my mom's scrap bin to cover all of my ugly shoe boxes. I'd love it if they all matched.
(My closet is organized by color. This would make me so happy to have all of the boxes color coordinated too! Yeah... I'm OCD) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008 01:19:23 PM »

Cute fabrics, carpet tape works great to for securing the fabric, and you don't have to wait for it to dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
aspatria

I like road trips!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008 06:09:05 PM »

The fabric definitely will last longer than wrapping paper. I tried the paper at my last place, and it tore horribly and got really bulky at the corners. When we moved, I used the boxes to hold stuff at our yard sale instead of bringing them with us. Your version looks much, much better - I love the fabric Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thai Chicken Pasta Recipe
How to Make a Maki Roll
The Cuisine of the Filipino American Community
The Cuisine of the Thai American Community
How to Prepare a Durian
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...