A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How long did it take you to master it?  (Read 1048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aznbarbdoll
« on: June 14, 2008 09:36:46 PM »

I tried polymer clay for the first time today, and I failed at trying to make a cupcake even with looking at a tutorial. So do I completely suck? Or is it one of those patience is a virtue thing?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008 09:37:12 PM by aznbarbdoll » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilysa
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008 04:17:29 AM »

You do not suck, it is all a learning experience. Keep playing with the clay and you will succeed. It takes time to master anything you do, so don't expect to get everything right the first time, heck I have been working with polymer clay for 19 years and I still don't get everything right.LOL

I am happy to answer any questions you might have. Don't give up, just have fun with it.
Regards,
Ilysa
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012 03:30:24 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008 10:15:54 AM »

Many things take a bit of patience and just familiarity with the materials and handling methods!
Sometimes you can luck into a good combination of those things as well as being able to apply what you might already know from a lifetime of using your hands, etc., but that doesn't always happen either.   Everyone can learn though, regardless of what they bring to the experience. 
It's also true that craftsmen and artists always improve (and can more easily innovate as well) after they've done bascially the same thing a number of times, so that can be a factor too --and even when they're doing things that look great to others, they may feel that they haven't "mastered" it at all.   

So the best thing might be to just try again.  If you're still having significant problems, try to figure out just what isn't working the way you want.  Describe those things here, or just work on them on your own.  If, for example, your shapes aren't coming out the way you want, the problem could be anything from using too-soft clay (certain brands, heat of your hands or the air, not letting the clay rest, etc.) to pressing/rolling/pushing too hard or not hard enough, or not having started with a smooth ball/log/sheet of clay to begin with, and more.  Once you identify the problem, you may understand what to do instead or people may offer suggestions. 

It's also true that some people are just very precise and detail oriented in all kinds of things they do whereas others are more "organic" and don't worry about exactly straight lines, etc... so it may not be appropriate for you to be trying do something exactly the same way someone has has unless you just want to. 

Anyway, why don't you give more specifics about just what didn't work out the way you wanted?

P.S.  Patience is a virtue in almost everything, but patience may not feel boring and onerous if you're enjoying yourself ("playing") and/or you know you're figuring things out and learning about the material/technique.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008 10:34:00 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 01:29:50 PM »

I don't think that one can ever truly master polymer clay.  There are so many different things that can be done.  The possibilities are nearly endless.

Don't get discouraged!  You just started.  Have a look at some different tutorials.  Try different techniques.  Some people have better luck with canework than sculpting.  You might want to give that a try.  Keep trying.  The good thing about polymer clay is that if you mess up, you can just smash it back into a ball and start over.  And, if all else fails, marble the colors together, roll it into a ball, poke a hole, and make a bead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
aznbarbdoll
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 07:11:56 PM »

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement, I'm getting better at it and trying new things. I will post some of the stuff I've made soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitten59
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008 12:04:23 AM »

Hey, don't give up, you just started! It sounds simplistic, but the more you do it, the better you get- it's true. I picked up my first bar of clay in 2004 and pretty much never put it down  Wink. I clay every single day, even on vacation....not just because it's how I make my money, but also because I love it. I look back at some of my first pieces and I cringe, lol!! Now, I teach people how to make stuff in magazines Shocked ! I will never finish learning, ever. There is no such thing  Wink. Keep it up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purplewitchhazel
Why is there cat fur up my nose?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008 04:29:45 PM »

Going by personal experience, i think it really depends not so much on you being a first timer, but how creative you are, and how easily you pick things up.

On my first attempts i made strawberry earrings, blended swirl beads for a necklace, and a black/pink fimo skull (which is mentioned in the clay craftalong voting thingie)

Fortunately for me i can do everything on a first attempt, even if i never try it again! Lol

Don't get discouraged, just keep trying and experiment. Or you can wait a bit till you get some inspiration  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Bacon Swiss Dip with Toast Rounds Recipe
Ham-Seasoned Soup Beans with Cornbread Recipe
Sizzling Filet Mignon Steak Sandwich Recipe
Gorgeous and Tasty Deep-Fried Shrimp Recipe
Oven Barbecued Chicken Breasts Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...