A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The I-almost-lost-my-finger-for-these Mermaid Leggings. EDIT: Tutorial added!  (Read 40347 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , leggings  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008 10:02:53 PM »

lovin the leggings! and we know 100% that they were made in a totally safe, non-sweatshop environment, too. emphasis on "totally safe." take that, american apparel!
hope your finger gets better. i've certainly been scared into watching what i'm doing for a while now!
totally safe? Did you miss the part about the needle thru the finger?
the leggings are outrageous! They do look "little mermaid". It's more fun to say I made it myself. and the things we go thru for our crafts and fashion...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008 10:16:45 PM »

I am not a big leggings person, but this are awesome. I love the color and I love all things shiny!!!  Cheesy

Sorry about the finger, that looked painful. Sewing can be dangerous, especially needles left in a project, sewing machine needles and seam rippers.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karen09
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008 10:18:22 PM »

Shocked omg! those leggings look fabulous!!! btw how did u get the needle out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
stelloun
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008 11:43:22 PM »

I love your leggins, and wow i felt bad for you when I saw your finger!!!!
but its good if its getting better! on the other hand what great leggins I love their color its true it makes mermaid!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008 02:05:07 AM »

Great job on the leggings! Such a difficult fabric to work with too.

I did the exact same thing to my finger when I was in a Clothing class back when I was 14 or 15.  Needle went through twice and I stopped it while needle was still inside, had to hand-turn to get it out, and cut the seam. OWWWWIE!
I feel for you!

When it heals, it does become a fun story to tell though - how you literally put your blood into the making of the garment (mine was a cardigan).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Veghead
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008 02:09:52 AM »

I did the same finger thing in January. I didn't go to the Dr.'s. Just kept it clean and bandaged. It hurt for over a week though. I wouldnt go to Dr's because they would just do the same thing I did except charge me for it.
Cute pants, I dont wear leggings because I'm too old now since I already went through the 80's. But I do still love the look. U did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008 02:32:45 AM »

If you are worried about infection, soak it for as long as you can in a big bowl of the hottest water you can stand, with a bar of Dial antibacterial soap sitting in it, changing the water as it cools. The soap draws out infection, and esp since you have a little hole letting it in to the under nail surface, but then all that area under the nail to grow infection, you would want something like that to help you clean it out. This tip courtesy of your local, friendly Nurse Practitioner (aka my friend, who gives me lots of lovely advice like that Tongue)

The leggings rock, btw....not going anywhere near MY legs, but still rock! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emilylala
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008 04:28:49 AM »

just peroxide it. it fixes everything. i use it like the father uses windex in my big fat greek wedding. it kills germs and u can use it as mouth wash to brighten teeth its perfect. there is no need to go to the doctor, its a waste of money for a small ingury and it wont get infected if its kept clean and if it does your body will fix itself dont stress the worst that can happen is the nail will fall off and regrow. my fiances cockatoo bit me on the thumb really deep and it was fine it just grew back. 

in other news
i love the leggings they look so much better then the AA ones do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosetyler

My other vehicle is a TARDIS

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008 05:23:14 AM »

actually better than peroxide is plain old salt water. The salt kills germs but the peroxide also kills your own cells. It can cause scars etc. Although I have to agree it's great for teeth.

adorable leggings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykatt

Geek knitter <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008 05:53:20 AM »

I love your leggings! So cute! I'm a sucker for anything mermaid related! I'd be swimming all about the house! Smiley
Eh, grim injury! I would of gone to the doctors just for a check but I'm sure it's okay. On the bright side, great leggings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Singing Opera Teaches Pursuit of Excellence - Dan Street
Nick Catanese Interview
Learn About Stained Glass Art
Learn about Glass Art
The Art of Turkish Quilting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...