A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CALLING ALL MOTHERS! i need your advice.  (Read 3113 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LifeInNeon
Ich heie Superphantastisch!

"Shes never even seen her box!"

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008 02:10:29 PM »

one of my bestest friend is about 8 moths pregnant with a little girl. my friend is only 20(her styles kinda edgy-ish) but shes had a lot of expierence with babys and children and everything that goes along with it all.
so heres my question, being a mom, what were somethings(homemade) that you got at your baby shower and really loved/found to be useful?
I was thinking about making like a crib bedset(she was telling me how expensive they were). would that have been something you would have liked? also with the ones you have had was there an thing you could think that would make them better?(ie. plastic lining, more cushion, less cushion, easier ways to get it to stay on, different material) im sure at 3am some thought rolled through you head about how thing could be easier, thats what i want to know. actually i want to know anything you think may help. Huh i dont know anything about being a new parent, or babies, or anything of the sort. ive never even held an infant.
so anything you found useful, anything you wish you had, any advice at all would be so great and so appreciated.

also i was thinking of making a baby bag for her and her husband, something cute but still unisex so he wont feel weird carring it. so my question for you is: what would you like in a baby/diaper bag? how many pockets? dirty diaper storage? bottle cubbys? binky pouchs? and so on. so if you could give a discription of your dream babybags that be awesome!

thank you all so much for your time and input,
manda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The scissors have learned to run on their own, I fear this might be fatal.
frix220

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008 09:29:38 PM »

Check this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=196557.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BRAND NEW-- frix220.etsy.com
canamharris
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008 01:24:38 PM »

gift ideas:
I got lots of blankets that were homemade. some were really nice, and some not so much (i.e. knited rainbow colored one that was just scary/wrong). My favorite was just large colorful ones to lay on the floor for the baby to lay on. They do alot of laying when young. Its helpful to include fun textures and pull things to explore as well. contrast is a plus since it stimulates them too.
After that I went on a crafting escapade for my wee one (turning a year next week!)
Here are some favorites i've made for myself and friends:
-taking plain onsies and embroiderying them with cool things. I've done this with a plain baby sweatshirt too! Or you can stencil or applique them too to make them super cool
-Breastfeeding cover up was a must! I was not going to spend like $30 on one either. I origionally made one using a tut on here but am now making one for a friend using this tut
http://www.breastfeeding123.com/free-pattern-to-sew-your-own-nursing-cover/
-a diaper case. Sometimes you don't want to grab every little thing when running a quick errand, so making one of these can be really useful. I also made an easy basic changing pad to fit in it too. Mine looks like this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=249635.0
-a felt name book. I did this for my friend's kid when he turned one. It spelled out his name with something. His name was Micah and I did M is for monkey, on to H is for home.

I know those are all basic ideas but they are some of my favorites.

Baby bag question- We have one that is like a sling back pack sorta thing. It's very unisex and my husband likes how it just swings on like a one armed backpack. (it looks like this to be exact: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266869_
I have another one that I use that is smaller which he hates. Its more like a canvas tote shape. I think to him it feels too pursey. Bottle storage is a must. I've never used dirty diaper storage cause I just find the nearest garbage can to chuck it in. Ours has a nice pouch on the strap for stuff that I always used for her soother (or binky as some call it). I find that as they get older you need to make sure you have either a section or room to throw in a small cooler pouch with food. (I make my own baby food so I do this, if you don't make your own then you need an area for baby jars). I think having an easy section to put toys and clothes in is a must. Ours has an odd shape to it which makes it hard to fit everything in it comfortably. I like having an area for just diaper stuff (like using the diaper pouch/case idea). Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008 06:38:42 PM »

I'm not a parent, but have heard from my friends who are that getting clothes for age 6 mos. and beyond is very helpful.  The parents are often inundated with so many items for newborns, the babies never get to wear them.  If the baby is big at birth, they might not fit in them at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnjaV
Give me a coke and I *might* be nice to you...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008 08:43:13 PM »

I have 2 kids..  The things that I would have liked for someone else to 'pick' or make for me, wouldn't have been my bedding.  By 8m, I had already picked out the set I wanted (weather or not I could afford it was a totally different story! haha)  Plus if its a cost thing, she can go to stores like Babies R US and Target and just get simple plain colored sheets and accessories seperate for not a lot..  (And I never had any trouble with fits, or anything like that!)

Anyway, home made things that I would have enjoyed (or did enjoy getting) are:

Take a travel deal of wipies and having it nicely covered with a pretty/funky print..
A quick trip bag (not a huge diaper bag, but a small bag for quick trips around, maybe with a matching changing pad??)
A ring sling (or other sling type carrier!)
Bigger sized blankets for tummy time (maybe with taggie type ribbons on it!)
The boutique like burp rags (basically cloth diapers with the pretty flannel sewn over to soften, or pretty ribbons, etc..)
If its a girl, little pretty diaper covers
Pretty pacifier clips (to attach them to their shirt, so they don't fall on the ground (watch length, so its not a choking hazard!)

Im drawing a blank at the moment on anything else, but I'll come back if I think of anything else!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Credu.Afon
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008 10:48:41 AM »

A bobby pillow..they are SO helpfull for holding the baby..exspecialy for the dad who it might not come as natural how to hold the baby when feeding them. Little cotton wash clothes..to wash the baby and some babys cant use whipes and what not so just incase that happens she will have lots of whipes to use.
as for the diaper bag...lots of pockets help but the most helpful part ive noticed is a plastic bag that you can throw things in and if they spill or leak it wont get all over the bag and everything else...so try to include one or two of them kind of bags. AND if possible a cool pack..like a lunch bag type to hold bottles in and keep them cool.
also if you make bibs...the ones with the little pocket at the bottom help SO Much for clean up..at least for me they have lol..it catches a lot of things instead of it getting everywhere.
and for her being a first time mom and young shes going to have a lot on her hands so a big help im sure is after the baby make her dinner and snacks for her to just grab and it..its crazy how you forget to eat or even when you want to eat...its just to much work the first few weeks Smiley

also..for whoever said bigger clothes...that is such a great idea. my cousins baby fit into 6month clothes when he was born and never got to wear the clothes everyone got for her at the baby shower..onsies are always great tho because if anything you can just cut off the snaps and its a tshirt Smiley

try going to thrift shops for clothes and you can recon them or even pull them apart and use it for a pattern...much cheaper then going and buying a pattern and material..Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinklrt
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008 12:32:27 PM »

I liked getting gifts that were practical, yet a little more extravagant than I would buy for myself. Think baby boutique stuff - embellished burp cloths, diaper/wipe case, paci clips, taggie blankies, bibs, pacifier purses, etc.

My favorite homemade baby items for my most recent baby included extra-large burp cloths (super-easy to make, mine are two rectangles of flannel with decorative topstitching) and an extra-large receiving blanket for swaddling. The receiving blankets you typically find in stores are useless for swaddling after just a few weeks. Most of the ones you find in the multi-packs are 30"x30" - I think the one I made and used daily was at least 36"x36".

Diaper bags are tricky because everyone has their own preference for what they want in a bag. What about some diaper bag accessories? If you have some sort of waterproof fabric, you could sew a zippered wet bag for dirty/wet clothes. That would be a lot nicer than the typical cheap vinyl bags that come with most diaper bags. I also carry a small zippered pouch in my diaper bag with my own personal items like chapstick, nursing pads, tampons, etc. It is easy to move from the diaper bag to a purse if I go somewhere without the baby.

Unless your friend has specifically asked you to make her bedding set, I don't know that I would do that as a gift. Most new moms want to pick out their bedding themselves. My mom sewed crib bedding for both of my kids, but with fabric that I picked and to my specifications. If you really want to do a crib set, maybe get her to go shopping for the fabric and pattern with you so that it's still "her" choice?

Clothes can be difficult because you can't always predict what size the baby will be during the appropriate season. Things like onesies, socks, sleepers, etc. can be used year-round and would be easy to buy in larger sizes. I appreciated getting things that were either 3-6 month or 6-9 month sizes since my kids both outgrew 0-3 month clothes quickly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008 12:40:47 PM by pinklrt » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jacsar
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008 07:53:49 PM »

We received a lot of gifts for our daughter (now 1). 
What I liked most were:
Pretty handmade blankets (some in very trendy patterns)

Bigger clothes, like 1 yr old stuff, in cool and trendy patterns (check out http://www.infashionkids.com  or http://stores.sophiasstyle.com)-  (you can buy now for next year)

Baby Legs (you could even sew these- or knit them)- these drew so much attention everywhere we went, and they're so practical for new crawlers and little dresses (instead of wearing tights) http://babylegs.net/newWeb/home.php?main=home&sub=home    We still use these (I have a dozen pair), here's a picture of her wearing some darker ones to go with a black onesie.

Squeaky shoes- you can find these at a lot of places buy for when she'll be about a year old (size 4 or 5)

Robeez shoes- very hip and trendy.

Books

Homemade car seat cozy (it's cold up here in Canada!)

Also, I have made tutus for little girls that were a big hit. They look great on little babies, especially for photos.

Good luck.  Let us know what you pick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacqui
citizengeek
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008 10:55:29 AM »

I loved my nursing cover and sleep sacks.  Plus, we were given some great flannel blankets (about 3/4 a yard in size with hemmed edges) and used them all the time

One of my husband's co-workers gave us some really basic looking bibs that were made out of old towels and had snap closures.  These were our hands-down favorite bibs.  They were thick and absorbent, dark in color (so stains were never a concern), soft, and HUGE.  We often used our cute boutique bibs when out of the house because we didn't want to risk losing any of those awesome terry-cloth ones in transit.

I would recommend against crib sets- particularly bumpers.  They're not really recommended anymore because of suffocation and other serious injury risks.  The materials should be flame resistant and closely fitted to the mattress and crib.  It's a pretty stressful project to meet all the safety requirements.  Even though I sew, I bought all my daily-use infant bedding for peace of mind.

A pretty name bunting for the nursery also makes a lovely gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harlequin1031
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008 04:10:29 PM »

Diaper bags so rarely have enough pockets...here's what I carry in mine:

one change of clothes for baby
4-5 diapers
travel baby wipes container
sometimes petrolium jelly for diaper rashes
bottles/sippycups (those who give formula need a place for that too-also pacifiers for those who use them)
granola bars/nuts for mom
snacks and baby food for baby
a toy or two
small baby book

My diaper bag also has a detachable purse, which is AWESOME!  It has two little loops that have snaps and open into straight straps to connect/disconnect the purse......so I can have all my personal stuff with me w/o having to carry both a diaper bag and a purse, but don't have to transfer stuff, I just disconnect it when I want to go out myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Curly Hair
Learn About Hair Brushes
Learn About Hair Combs
Learn About Hair Rollers
How to Create an Upward Roll with Curls Underneath
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...