A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Score! Look at the yarn I got!  (Read 5419 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

judifruit
« on: February 07, 2005 01:01:09 PM »

I went in search at my local thrift store also, and low and behold I found yarn too!

There were some full skeins (they appeared so, at least) and some not full, but all were $0.99 or less for decent colors, I bought all 5 skeins and paid less than $4.  I did, however, pass up the bright neon orange skein.  Wink 

This was a local thrift shop, I'm imagining with anticipation what I might find at the larger "chain" stores.
Thanks for the thrift shop suggestion! Score!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danajill
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005 01:03:11 PM »

my thrift store has craptastic rug yarn Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeekMagnet
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005 02:54:23 PM »

im so jealous, there are 5 thrift stores in my area and i can never find any yarn and if i do, it's neon orange or flesh peach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005 03:12:15 PM »

Where do you live that you get yarn at the thrift shop?!  I'm in Northern NJ, and I have yet to see yarn at the local Goodwill... or any Goodwill for that matter.

I did, however, pull in a bigass load of yarn from my mom's friend last night.  Most of it is old and label-less, and smells like it's been sitting in her closet for 10+ years (funny, it has been), but it was free.

If it's free, it's for me!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005 10:16:55 AM »

I can never find yarn in thrift stores either.  But I can always seem to find at least one great angora or mohair sweater that's just begging to get recycled and crocheted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Nanashi04
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006 12:58:46 PM »

My ebay yarn arrived today - ever prettier than I expected! ^^ It's silk, made in Napal from scraps of saris. It's simply gorgeous... and I've got six good sized balls of it.

Now I just need to think of what to do with it... I have a few ideas.  Grin

The color is really a lot better than these pics show... but I had to do my best without the sun. Sad
(t-storms all day today)

The last one is a little blurry, but you can see the colors a lot better.

*Edit*

I forgot to ask... the only downfall of this yarn is that it smells a little, um, funky. Any ideas for that?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011 12:44:06 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm hungry.
http://nanashi04.livejournal.com/

I just got a big box of fat quarters... lotsa interesting stuff... always open to personal swaps! Wink
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006 04:55:19 PM »

If all you got was one ball - then it's probably going to end up as a scarf or hat - or jewelry.  Lots of jewelry - neclaces, bracelets - hey, you could even do a foot thong or something.

Very pretty though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Nanashi04
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006 09:32:49 PM »

Nope, I've got 6 of 'em.  Grin

Still not sure what it'll be though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm hungry.

I just got a big box of fat quarters... lotsa interesting stuff... always open to personal swaps! Wink
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006 04:32:40 AM »

Now that's something to work with - how about a nice summery top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Vrinda
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006 07:34:43 AM »

Ooooh, I want some of that soooo bad!! Shocked

The possiblilities are endless....I think that yarn that lovely deserves to be used for something you'll use a lot, so what are you either in most need of or what delicious extra would you use most? Personally I think I would make a bag out of some of it, but only coz i saw a bag made of sari silk about a year ago that I managed to not buy but have been regretting ever since Roll Eyes

I also like craftydeb's idea of a summery top....it could be reeally nice Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nanashi04
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006 08:25:29 PM »

Well, I showed it to my Father, and now I'm working up a small throw for him. June 30 is the 3-year aniversary of a bad wreck he was in (deer vs motorcycle), so I'm doing a filet deer. It's working up beautifully so far. Smiley

The folks I bought it from on ebay have a store, there's a few more balls of the stuff there. Smiley
Looks like it goes for $5 a ball.
http://stores.ebay.com/Nepali-Trading-Post
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm hungry.

Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006 07:36:31 PM »

I went to Value Village and once again I scored on some yarn see:

I got alot of variegated yarns this time which I love yarn in those colors.  It only costed me 20 big ones which is cool compared to going to Hobby Lobby or Michael's or even Wal Mart. I wouldn't have gotten this much yarn for $20 there. Man I am so going there maybe every other week to see what I can get. The bag on the lower left side has a latch hook project in it which I do that also and along with yarns, I got threads too, and a zipper as well as what looked like someone started but never finished a scarf. Oh I can't wait to dig into these bags.

Upon digging through the bags I found this stuff:

does anyone know the name of this type of yarn? I know it has the bumps in it but what is the name of it?

whoever had this yarn managed to make one sock it is huge on my foot when I tried it on but it is cool looking so I'm going to keep it. I have no idea how to make socks.

they had also started on this scarf too but didn't finish it. I may just unravel it and make a 12" sqaure out of this yarn I like the color of it.

also what is the name of this yarn too? It's awful soft, I got that skien a white color one two magenta type colors and another with that color browns and reds. I also found another J hook and some chenille pipe cleaners. So I really did score on this haul of yarn.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006 07:17:15 PM by Aelita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Avian Flight
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006 08:32:24 PM »

omg you are so lucky!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
sarah-

Feeling the need to crochet...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006 03:19:52 AM »

WOW! You are really lucky! That's so cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah -

http://www.wists.com/sarah-
teamo.etsy.com - Miniature bears now available!

I'd love to do a personal swap! - PM me!
kjtendyke
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006 02:01:15 PM »

Wow! That's a lot of yarn.
What are you going to do with it all?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trispiral
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006 09:55:14 PM »

The bottom one looks like homespun.

Same color as the homespun I started on actually. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006 10:19:11 PM »

oh okay and any ideas on the pink one? It has what looks like bubbles all through out it and it is really soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

Trispiral
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006 10:37:45 PM »

Not a clue. Sad

The picture looks a lot like Bernats Baby Coordinates ( http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=babycoordinates ) but it's really not that easy to tell in that picture.

Congratulations on the finds though. I need a store like that around me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006 07:23:06 AM »

OMG Trispiral ur a genius it is part of the Bernat's baby yarn family it is called "Baby Bubbles" it does have what looks like bubbles in it. I don't know what to do with it though thanx alot for your help Trispiral
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trispiral
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006 09:34:17 AM »

You definitely got a good find there then! I just went to the store the other day to get 2 6oz skeins of Bernats and 3 6oz skeins of Homespun the other day and spent more than you did on the whole kit and caboodle!

My love of soft yarn has finally paid off and helped someone. Smiley

I can't wait to see what you do with all that yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006 10:08:54 AM »

Oh and I also got this too:

it's real thick and I have no idea what to make with this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hookin Flamingo

What were you saying again?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006 10:48:28 AM »

Oh and I also got this too:
it's real thick and I have no idea what to make with this.
The peaches n cream cotton is WONDERFUL!!!!
I use it to make wash clothes and scrubbies for the bath.
If you would like to you can PM me and I can pass you on some great bath type patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to make you a journal for a personal swap. PM me!
My wist: http://www.wists.com/hookinflamingo
My blog: http://thehappyhookinflamingo.blogspot.com/

Dorkariffic asked me to the hoe down *blushes* I feel like Cinderella going to the ball *GRIN*
Trispiral
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006 11:02:14 AM »

To me, possibilities are endless. I do a lot of original work though. I can't pay attention to patterns long enough to ever finish them. Smiley

With my thick yarns I tend to make things like purses with tight stitching, or ponchos & wraps with very loose big stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006 09:30:02 PM »

The pink one looks like a boucle type yarn to me.  But your photo is far away from the yarn, so it's hard to tell.  The bottom one is definately Lion Homespun...love that yarn!  So soft and delicious!
As for peaches n'cream: I make dishcloths out of it!
Hope that helps.
BTW:  What is Value Village?  What other stores is it like?  I live in Texas and would love to be able to buy yarn in big bags like that for cheap!  Would goodwill have anything like that do you think?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
Melesse
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006 12:48:22 PM »

So I got up obscenely early this morning and decided to head out to the Yarn Factory Outlet in Listowel. I had my list of things I wanted to make and I spent about an hour there picking them out. I just can't keep to myself how awesome some of my finds were!

I got 5 skeins of Patons Nuance in Marble, and some unknown black sock yarn  for 70 cents an ounce, various baby yarns at 35 cents an ounce. But my real find that has me squeeing in delight are the mill end cones.

I got roughly 5 pounds of Bernat Cool Crochet in Chocolate:

And dude... over 8 pounds (the scale tipped over at 8 ) of Patons SWS in Natural Geranium:

(I've been rolling balls off the cone this afternoon in anticipation of starting some Happy Hooker bunny slippers.)

Squee!

[edit, hah, I forgot. The cones were $15 each.]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006 12:51:13 PM by Melesse » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006 12:50:15 PM »

wow, thats some gorgeous yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
McJulie-O
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006 01:42:50 PM »

Good for you! That looks like quite a deal!  The geranium looks particularly pretty (and I'm not a "pink" person at all!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006 02:46:38 PM »

how awesome. i wish we had something like around here to buy yarn like that. I really like the chocolate yarn you bought. I am really into dark brown right now. happy hooking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pm me if you want to do a personal swap

swap partners check out my wist http://www.wists.com/crochetfairy

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.yarnfreak.blogspot.com')
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006 04:52:16 PM »

<--vows out of sheer envy to make it to Brown Sheep Company's factory store sometime this or next year to buy mill ends and seconds. 

I swear it, and so it shall be done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
leesespieces
lisa a crochet!

"lisa's going to decorate it" - dirty dancing =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2006 07:18:44 AM »

oh my god... i am so jealous. i so wish we had a yarn shop close around here. i have to rely on michaels, joann's, and walmart if i want something quick, although we just went on vacation in wildwood (new jersey) and found a cute little yarn shop in cape may, and it supposedly has another one in northfield... which is still like 45 minutes away lol. but even so, they don't have those humungous mill ends!!!!! oh my god!!!! im drooling LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

decarillion
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2006 11:54:28 AM »

Wow, I LOVE the Cool Crochet yarn...best thing they've put out in ages!!! Seems the local WM is always out of the brown, interestingly enough...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melesse
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006 05:43:25 AM »

I've been arguing with myself to not go back and scoop up all the cones they have for the SWS (my budget can't take the shock). I've been rolling balls so it's more manageable to work with and working on the bunny slipper pattern from the happy hooker and I'm in *love* with the SWS. Which is unusual for me because i have this thing with wool -- when I handle it I get that shiver like when you bite down on tin foil or if you hear nails on a chalkboard. But I don't get that at all with this blend, it's awesome. Plus the colours are gorgeous.

Oh, btw, if you all get the chance to grope a skein of Patons Rumor, go for it. If I ever see that in a mill end cone I'm all over it, damn the budget! Smiley

Thanks for the comments guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irilab
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006 11:17:49 AM »

So I got up obscenely early this morning and decided to head out to the Yarn Factory Outlet in Listowel.

oww it's Listowel in Canada  Sad For a moment I thought you meant Listowel in Ireland, and I was getting all excited 'cause that's close to were the inlaws live, and we'll be there a christmas time... I could just picture myself coming back home with an extra bag full of yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyflower
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006 01:01:37 AM »

Gorgeous colours!

I'm surprised you find it easier to work with balls and not just straight off the cone, but maybe cones are different and yours is difficult. I've started a blanket and am working from a cone-it's fantastic as the wool doesn't go zooming off around the floor...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itesser

utor is totus pro bonus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2006 01:06:59 AM »

I... I... I think it's time for a road trip!  Great finds! I am seriously jealousified.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melesse
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2006 04:10:56 AM »

It's more about portability, really. I have a good dozen (maybe 2 dozen, I haven't counted recently, hee) projects on the go right now and in the mornings before I head out I'll grab the one that says "take me!" the loudest to work on when I'm sitting around somewhere. Plus when I roll my own balls they're flat bottom center pulls, those suckers don't roll.  Cheesy I've also been able to eliminate any knots in the yarn this way too -- hit a knot, thats the end of the ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quincy134
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006 06:32:40 AM »

That is an awesome find.  I just broke the bank at the Classic Elite outlet (http://www.hubmillsstore.com/) in Lowell, MA.  Those places are so dangerous for your wallet.

Can't wait to see the resulting projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkyflower
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006 12:50:30 AM »

It's more about portability, really. I have a good dozen (maybe 2 dozen, I haven't counted recently, hee) projects on the go right now and in the mornings before I head out I'll grab the one that says "take me!" the loudest to work on when I'm sitting around somewhere. Plus when I roll my own balls they're flat bottom center pulls, those suckers don't roll.  Cheesy I've also been able to eliminate any knots in the yarn this way too -- hit a knot, thats the end of the ball.

aaah that makes sense!!
note to self: learn how to do flat bottomed balls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2006 07:09:53 PM »

oh. my. god.  I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOOOOVE that sws yarn!! I'm just finishing up a osw I'm knitting with it in the blue and brown colors.  I bought the pink/green combination, too.  at MICHAELS!! for like $6/skein!!  this stuff is soooooo soft and gorgeous!! I'm all about soy yarn from now on.  just wish more companies made it, and that it wasn't soooo expensive!!  you lucky dog!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesa
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007 08:02:11 AM »

ok, have to brag a tiny little bit. went garage saling a couple weeks ago and got all this yarn for $7!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited! but, down side? I'm in an accelerated nursing program for the next 16 months and won't have time to use it.  Sad just more incentive to study hard and get done, right?!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2007 08:05:56 AM »

I just merged a bunch of posts about scoring yarn at thrift stores, etc. If you want to show off the yarn you scored at a thrift store or outlet, post it here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007 07:16:52 AM »

Here is my stash of threads that I've collected from different places, mostly eBay and yard sales. I am always looking for projects for them...

My son wants to add a smiley...  Grin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007 07:18:42 AM by italianchildhood » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
yelley
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007 11:53:10 AM »

i use the size 10 thread to make headbands and flowers and the size 3 thread to make hats. i think the 3 would make a nice bag too. really not sure what else i'd do with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://twocenthooker.blogspot.com/
http://www.wists.com/yelley
i'm yelley on ravelry... be my friend ^_^
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007 03:40:57 PM »

what about crocheting tops of dishtowels that you can button to the handle of your oven? and a purse would be kewl for the thicker thread. or you could crochet some doilies
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007 06:42:53 AM »

Thank you for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
vanillaxlight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007 07:57:57 AM »

I just merged a bunch of posts about scoring yarn at thrift stores, etc. If you want to show off the yarn you scored at a thrift store or outlet, post it here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crock Pot Pork Roast Tenderloin and Gravy Recipe
Easy and Elegant Benedictine Finger Sandwiches Recipe
Sunday Morning Sausage Gravy Recipe
Crispy Bacon Topped Baked Beans Recipe
Extra Sloppy Joe Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...