A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: COMPLETELY RANDOM SWAP - CLOSED EARLY FULL UP!  (Read 28042 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008 09:04:28 AM »

I just love to craft for ANYONE!!!!!! 
Oh me too!!!!  That is why I'm addicted to swaps.  Cheesy

I am so glad I had a spot open to join this swap!
Now the long wait till partners...
I think I'll go pre-stalking.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ManifestContent
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008 09:35:46 AM »

I'm all excited and already working on my list!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps - Just send me a message

My Wists!

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing"      -Dali
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008 10:07:00 AM »

I really really want to do this... but I would feel bad if somebody got paired with me and thought .."OMG, I'm crafting for my mother"... hmm.. any other olders signed up?Huh

I craft for the love of crafting too and firmly believe when it comes to crafting age ain't nothing but a number!!!  Not to mention in my group of friends, the majority are old enough to be my mom (wait one of them IS my mom :O!!!)  Please please please don't let that feeling keep you from playing!!!  I can't imagine anyone that wouldn't enjoy having you as a partner!  (Yes I stalked you lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008 10:27:28 AM »

HAAA  I stalked her too!!!!  No kidding what a great lady!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008 02:03:22 PM »

6-10 points equals ?
i like random.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008 02:14:20 PM »

6-10 points equals ?

I was curious about this to.
In the discussion thread it was explained as...

i dont know if there's a link anywhere, but from all I know, a small is worth 1 pt, a medium worth 2 pts and a large worth 3 points. so 6-10 pts would be 6 smalls or 2 larges and 4 smalls, etc.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008 03:31:28 PM »

I was definitely just about to respond, and then saw that I had been quoted...

Tongue NOW i feel cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008 03:57:12 PM »

The Short answer based off craftster guidelines
1 point is equal to any of the following 3 things
1 craftster small, 1 hour of crafting time or $10
so 2 points is a craftster medium, 2 hours of crafting time or $20
3 points is a craftster large, 3 hours of crafting time or $30

1 small 1 medium and 1 large would be equivalent to 6 points, or 3 smalls 2 mediums and 1 large would equal 10 points, which is our point range, if you crafted 10 smalls that would be 10 points, or 5 mediums would be 10 points, 3 larges and 1 small would be 10 points, etc... 

I have seen different arguments on what the $ value means (some say it's the cost of materials, some say it's the final value of the finished piece)

My personal take on the number system vs set sizes (and this might be a wordy post lol)  But I think it might be helpful to others in other ways too Smiley

I prefer points because my ideas don't come necessarily come to fit a particular size.  And I don't like feeling like I should have to alter my ideas to fit a size guideline set by someone else lol, and I don't want (as an organizer) to limit anyone else's creativity in that same way. 

Also I find many times my crafts could fall in all 3 categories, for a recent swap I made a floral scarf.  The materials were not substansial (at very most like $5 total used material in the item, but much of it was scrap yarn so really it was free from other projects)  The scarf was completely freeform, roughly 10 feet long and all worked on the piece, because of the way I did it, it took me about 6 hours to complete it. 

Using this scarf as an example,  based on $ value of materials it was a small, based on time invested it was an XXXL, based on craftster item size guidelines it was a medium (scarves fall there If I am remembering correctly)  If I were to sell it the price basis would be in the Large to XL range ($30 to $40 or more).  So it makes it really hard to determine where something falls all too frequently for me. 

So I take the categories it could fall into and average them to determine what size the item is when finished.  Then i consider the way I would feel if I received such a thing in the mail myself, would I feel like I had received a small or a medium or a large? 

And after I determine a size, I also factor in my 'crafting ability' in different areas.  In some areas I am an expert, and in other areas I am a novice.  I try to consider how my experience might look to someone that is more experienced than me.  I also try to consider that what took me X hours as a novice, someone else with more experience, may have been able to create the same item in 1/2 the time it took me.  So I factor that in too. 

In regards to the scarf, I did decide it was a large.  But felt a little silly about that because it wasn't as substantial as other things I had done, and again I am a novice in that craft.  (only seriously crocheting for a few months)  I then compensated for my weaknesses in that craft with extras I knew my partner would enjoy. 

On the receiving end, however, I consider 2 things in a swap "Did my partner make this item with me in mind?" and "was it made with love?"  If the answer to those two questions is yes it's almost a guarantee that I will love whatever they have sent me.  It's not about the money spent to buy the supplies for me, but it's about the thought and time someone put into creating something just for me.  And that completely rocks. 

Anyway that is just my 2 cents (and the reason the swaps I organize are on a point basis vs a set size basis, and in the case of this swap, it just leaves it open for even more random goodness!)  I wouldn't typically post this so publicly, but I really am curious about how others feel about sizes, and what methods you may or may not use to determine what size you consider something to be when finished. 

April

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008 03:58:09 PM by GothChics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008 05:28:42 PM »

WOW!!! What a response.

I completely understand the difficulty of deciding what size an item is.
I think you have done a great job describing this dilemma.

Size is alway hard for me.
I have gone by the description of size (i.e. a scarf is a medium) most often.
But really, in swaps I usually go with what I first think of or am inspired by; then I go from there, regardless of size.

I go overboard most of the time, but I try to keep a good communication with my partner and tell them that I am please with just the guidelines, for going overboard is my weakness. (Plus, I'm the one getting all the fun of crafting the items.)

I always try to think of my partner.  I always try to think of what they may like (or stalk).  I always craft my best and explore new venues when called for.  That way I figure my partner will be pleased.

I think GothChics expressed my sentiments best of how I judge size or my goodies "Did my partner make this item with me in mind?" and "was it made with love?"  The thoughtfulness and effort of my partner always amazes me, and that is what I love about swaps and their rewards.

Gee, I hope that makes sense.
And KUDOS GothChics!  I loved your post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008 05:44:15 PM »

I tend to base my sizes off of time. Since time is easy to measure and its one thing I don't have enough of so it must be valuable  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Performa 13: Shingerviews – Ryan McNamara
Hottest New Toys For The Summer
Give Your Settlers of Catan Game Board a Magnetic Upgrade
Vote For New Monopoly Pieces
Shaheen Wirk on What Performing Artists Teach About Preparation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...