A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: which clay? any advice?  (Read 545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

"I love swaps!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2008 10:16:18 PM »

new to polymer clay and ive been surfing the posts the past few days and i am absolutely obsessed with mini foods! any advice which clay to start with? is sculpey clay ok?

"I feel when I'm old I'll look at you and know the world was beautiful"

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008 08:46:16 AM »

My personal advice would be any brand but Sculpey.  I'm assuming that you're referring to Sculpey III here, but SuperSculpey and especially the original white Sculpey are similar in their disadvantages. 
All of those clays will be weaker after baking anywhere they're thin or projecting, so those areas will be much more breakable than other brands (round or highly-rounded shapes would be fine though because those shapes are inherently strong almost no matter what they're made from).
Also, generally those Sculpeys will be mooshier when they're raw so it will be harder to get good detail from them, and also to avoid fingerprints and to avoid shape distortion.

If you only want to make miniature sculpts (foods, etc.) with your polymer clay, that will be better for some of those problems since your pieces won't likely have as many (or as large) thin areas and projections.  But if they do have those areas, and then they're stressed (by being worn, for example), the same problems will arise.

The formulas for the different brands are almost all currently in flux, so the recommendations I make these days (for the newest versions of all clays) would be:

Kato Polyclay, Premo, FimoClassic, Cernit
...and FimoSoft

If you have naturally hot hands or if you work with your clay in a warm environment, I'd suggest Kato Polyclay or perhaps FimoClassic rather than the other 3. 

(If you want to paint over your clay rather than having the color in the clay in the regular way, then SuperSculpey-Firm, which is gray, is a good choice too.)

There's a brand new line called Studio by Sculpey which is different from all the others in certain ways.  It seems to be okay for shaping, but has a texture that's kind of fabric-y which for one thing makes it hard for it to stick to itself, and it's also bad for making canes.  It also comes only in kind of toned-down colors, which means no strong clear colors (those can also be good for mixing clays to create new colors).

If you want much more info about the various brands and lines of polymer clay, check out this page at my polymer clay "encyclopedia" website:

HTH, and welcome to polymer clay!

Diane B.

P.S.  If you want to check out lots of lessons on making miniature foods, take a look on these 2 pages at my polymer encyclopedia:
(...click on Foods...)
(...click on more Candies & Sweets...)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008 08:57:34 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008 04:20:35 AM »

I would suggest starting with Premo as it usually is not too soft and not too hard.

It might be a good idea to get a bar of each to see what you like best. Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012 03:30:16 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008 11:54:17 PM »

I prefer the firmer clays, such as Fimo Classic and Kato, although I've been pissed ever since Fimo changed their formula! I can't stand Sculpey or Premo- pure mush. Mind you, I know a ton of artists who use Premo pretty much exclusively. It's just personal preference- try both!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save an Image as a TIFF File in Photoshop CS3
How to Save an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Select Foreground and Background Colors in Photoshop CS3
How to Select Multiple Objects in Flash CS3
How to Select With a Marquee Tool in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...