A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A couch fit for a monkey couch potato  (Read 1418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

La Maestra
« on: June 12, 2008 08:44:27 PM »

I was unpacking a recent package, and found these sweet little foam corners protecting the edges.

They were so thick and hard, and not accepted by our recycling program - I hated to toss them - and here came the kid - "Hey mama, that looks like a couch!"

So I had her pick out a fat quarter she liked,  and I covered it - sprayed glue over the whole thing, and did some stitching and folding on the side edges (no lie, with an upholstery needle) - and here is the happy couch monkey.

I have 7 more of these corner things, so I thought I'd make her a restaurant booth with a table in the middle, (for her monkey and her dolls), and maybe another couch.  Any other ideas?

And why is that spray adhesive stuff so hard to use with fabric?  It's the first time I used it, and it was sticky and made the fabric wet (it dried after awhile) - any less, and the fabric didn't stick at all.  It says it can be used with fabric, but I think it's an evil lie.  Any better gluing fabric to plastic foam material products out there?

Thanks everyone!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaymadben
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 09:04:28 PM »

how cute is this!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
Luna1375
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008 09:41:15 PM »

That's adorable!  With the spray adhesive problem, I'm wondering if it's the foam and not the fabric that's giving you problems.  I always have trouble gluing stuff to styrofoam.   What I suggest, actually, is skipping the glue and just making little slipcovers, with some elastic in strategic places, so you can just pull them over the foam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008 10:15:54 PM »

couch monkey. cute.
Maybe glue a couple to a piece of cardboard for a bed. There might be somethings you can make by joining but I'm not getting any right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008 10:26:53 PM »

Adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008 03:03:00 AM »

I made some of these for my friend's daughter's dollhouse!!
don't use superglue, it will melt the fabric, foam or both. I found that PVA glue (school glue) worked well, but the fabric had to be held in place for ages. I used pins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grendelsmom
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008 05:50:06 AM »

Way cute!  My favorite adhesive website, thistothat.com, advises Weldbond or 3m77 for glueing fabric to styrofoam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Maestra
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008 01:27:42 PM »

Cool!  Thanks for the ideas for more furniture.  The thingamajigger is not really styrofoam, it's kind of a hard compressed smooth foam-like material that's slippery-ish - maybe that's where the glue got confused.  It reminds me of a particle board, but made from shredded thick plastic bottles or something. I like the weight of it - heavy - it weighs enough that the kiddo can put her heaviest doll on it (looks very amusing) and it won't tip over.

I wish I was talented enough to make the slipcovers - do you think I could minimize a full sized pattern - or are they easier to make from scratch than I think??

Thanks for the superglue warning - I was going to try that next - I'm wondering about school glue - and I'm going to check out thistothat.com for more info on Weldbond or 3m77.

Off to make a monkey-bed... Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
wawamommy
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008 06:41:04 PM »

Hi!  Love the couch, and the monkey too!  I have an idea for one of your foamy thingys...if you know macrame, or even crochet, or had some nice cord and beads lying around, you could make a swing for your monkey, and hang it from the ceiling!  You could really funkify it with bright fabric and beads. A crocheted slipcover would be neat. Just a few thoughts.  Now I wish I had foamy thingys lying around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008 07:48:02 PM »

A porch swing cute idea.
I didn't think that was Styrofoam either. When I've gotten similar stuff it seems to be more like  maybe polyurethane... I wonder if it has a triangle with a number on it?
 The "L" shape is the tough part. You can make a separate piece for each side but you would have fewer seams if you measure all the sides except the "L"'s as one with extra for seam allowance. Wrap it around, hold in place with pins, rubberbands, thread tied around it... Then stitch the back edges of the "L" by hand, then the edges one by one.
Or you can make a cover for the seat separate from the back and hand stitch together. This is probably the easier solution. I wouldn't bother with glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Jean Shorts
The Top 5 Styles of Shorts
How to Wear Bold Neon Fashions
5 Ways to Wear a White Tee
Get a “Sons of Anarchy” Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...