A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 9 day civil war dress; plus underpinnings  (Read 8823 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seamshistoric
« on: June 12, 2008 04:22:36 PM »

I completely revamped my wardrobe this year, and topped it off with a new dress. All pictures are clickable.

To make the period clothes work, you have to have two very important foundation garments. A corset, and a crinoline. The corset was drafted by using instructions at Your Wardrobe Unlock'd. Made of cotton coutil and steel boning.

The crinoline is what makes the skirts stand out; you simply can't go without a crinoline (a.k.a. hoop skirt). This is a reproduction crinoline, bought as a kit and built by myself. I am not aware of anything closer to crinolines of the day, so naturally I had to have it.

And to keep the skirt from showing the ridges of the steel boning, you need another petticoat to soften the lines. The skirt is attached to the waistband with a method called stroked gathers. The material is gathered with two running threads by hand, and sewn on to the waistband, each little fold at a time. By hand. Twice. Even I think I'm nuts at this point:

And this is the kicker. The dress! There's a story behind it. My friend is getting married this Saturday. The theme is civil war, of course. All reenactors attending have been encouraged to attend costumed. Up until the beginning of the month I did not think I would be able to have a new dress done. The dress I was planning on wearing was stained beyond recognition, and I had thought I would be wearing a dress several years old, and several inches short to boot. Luckily, my manager came to my rescue on June 2nd, and bid me not to come back from lunch. Little did he know that his timing was perfect. I set to work immediately. 9 days later, and this is the result.

Indeed, I am aware that the petticoat shows beneath the back hem of the dress. I need to put an additional tuck in the petticoat, but I had already expected that to happen. The dress, in all respects, however, is done.

There are more things than just the dress though. I have slightly-longer than shoulder length hair, and it's layered as well. Layers + Buns = Rats Nest. But I found a way to style my hair in a mostly period fashion, and it's staying up!

And just one more part you haven't seen. The shoes! If I wanted the best thing to be had in crinolines, I certainly wasn't going to neglect my feet. I got these in the mail yesterday and I've been wearing them all day. From Robert Land Footwear, Ltd., I give you the American Walking Shoe. Very nice (with a little 19th century immodesty thrown in for kicks). I might just be crazy, but don't they look shmexy?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 04:28:17 PM »

wow! You did a fantastic job! My DH & I always talk about how cool it would've been to live back then .... anyways fantastic work you did!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008 04:28:35 PM by bsonlytoots » THIS ROCKS   Logged

riverwatson
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008 06:37:20 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous and oh-so-authentic. You look just like an old Daguerreotype. BEAUTIFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
kathigarn
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008 07:08:40 PM »

What a beautiful dress!!  My 6 1/2 year old son is a Civil War buff and we have been talking about taking him to a reenactment.  We have friends whose family has done reenactments for many, many years.  They have offered to let him borrow one of their uniforms in his size!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lanna to the max
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008 07:17:30 PM »

Very cool, and the dress is beautiful. Great job!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alatarial
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008 09:23:31 PM »

Wow! I'm amazed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
grenouille78
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008 09:35:57 PM »

I'm impressed! Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirthgoddess
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008 08:10:05 AM »

Really, only 9 days!? Very impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
5trawberry
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008 09:26:50 AM »

Wow...that's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008 06:10:52 AM »

Ooh, it's really pretty and looks like it was a complicated process!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Mac and Cheese
The Legendary Brown Hotel Hot Brown
Kentucky Derby Bourbon Balls Recipe
Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...