A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone made soy or dairy yogurt?  (Read 1007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rebel
« on: June 12, 2008 12:28:38 PM »

I was given a yogurt maker and have looked around the internet and found some recipes. I want to make some soy yogurt and wondered if anyone has made it homemade? Any tips? Some recipes add agar agar, some don't.

Anyway, I made one batch of dairy yogurt, it was ok. I'm going to tweak.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 09:01:05 PM »

I've only made dairy yogurt, and I'm guessing you've got the basics down since your batch turned out, but here are a couple links I found useful:
Ceres & Bacchus blog - nice directions on how to turn a cooler into a yogurt maker
Making yogurt - good step-by-step process, with pictures
I used to use a cooler+hot pad setup, but I got a yogurt maker for Christmas.  I'll probably go back to the cooler now and again if I want larger batches for making yogurt cheese, frozen yogurt, etc.  I used skim milk (sometimes with some powdered milk added to thicken it), and plain Dannon yogurt for starter, but I read somewhere that higher fat content makes a milder tasting yogurt.  I never used any agar agar, but I would be interested to try it.  I like the thicker, creamier texture of store bought yogurt, and this is probably due to the stuff they add - carrageen, pectin, etc.

I've never tried soy yogurt, but from a quick google search it seems to work the same as dairy yogurt -- you just start it with a bit of commercial soy yogurt instead.  Verrry interesting.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Rebel
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008 10:46:00 AM »

I used skim milk with the powdered. I like that it adds some creaminess. as soon as I finish eating this batch I'm going to try the soy. How many hours did you incubate yours? Mine turned out tart, with a little honey its really good but I think I'm going to incubate for less time.

thanks for the advice and websites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crapbuster
Too Many Poo Poo Platters

http://crapsterbusters.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008 04:35:15 PM »

what a good idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tired of the poo, there is something you can do! Go see how:
http://crapsterbusters.blogspot.com/
Rachaol
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 09:22:54 AM »

Sorry I can't help with any soy yougurt making ideas...but I do have a suggestion about creamier yogurt.

The new popularity of Greek-style yogurt came along with high prices. I admit I'm cheap, but I really refuse to spent $2plus on 2 cups of yogurt. Unless it makes my eyes roll back in my head, it isn't worth it. (I will spend $$$ on the occasional whole milk Brown Cow brand maple yogurt. It is so yummy it makes me do a happy dance).

So, I strain my regular plain store-bought non-fat yogurt instead. I line a seive or mesh strainer with a clean flour sack dish towel or coffee filters. Then I dump in the yogurt, place it over a bowl in the fridge and wait. In a couple of hours you have a much thicker and creamier yogurt. The whey that leaks out can be used to thin out smoothies or as the liquid in a bread recipe.

There is no reason this wouldn't work with homemade yogurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chibilightangel
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008 07:09:10 PM »

I grew up on homemade yogurt and got my own yogurt maker a few years ago when I was away from home for university. The way I normally make yogurt is with purchasing a culture and 3 cans on evaporated milk, though it works just fine starting with some of the leftover yogurt (not that there's often any leftover for me to use...).

To thicken yogurt, you can do the draining method as mentioned. I'm too lazy for that, so I'm just careful when I scoop out my yogurt not to mix the parts I'm not eating, so next time I scoop out yogurt, I make sure to scoop out the accumulated whey from the depression I'd previously made. This slowly thickens it up, but I'm lazy so it works for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachael24
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008 06:52:58 AM »

Is there a big difference in taste and consistency between homemade and storemade.  I would imagine there is a big difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All I want are chocolate gifts for any occasion.
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008 05:04:26 PM »

Homemade can be milder or more sour depending on how long you incubate it (longer=more sour).  If you've eaten plain, unsweetened yogurt, that is similar to homemade yogurt, but homemade is less tart.  Of course, you can add whatever sweetener or flavorings you want. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CoolAge Blogfest Winners at Spring Fest, IIT Kharagpur
Jerry Stahl LIVE
All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach
A Chat with the Best Selling Author Preeti Shenoy
How to Teach Toddlers to Trust Themselves
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...