A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making fabric flowers - tutorial addendum: how to make rounded petals.  (Read 170816 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Red Alibi

Change IS a Sound

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006 09:47:02 AM »

if anyone still wants some more explaining there is also this great little tute i found here:
http://www.ohbara.com/kanzashidirections.gif
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spangle
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006 07:04:04 PM »

I just recently figured out how to make the rounded petals too, thanks to the instructions here. The flowers I've made have turned out fine, but I do find that I need lots (i.e. usually 10) of petals to get them all to sit uniformly together. I'd love to be able to make rounded petal flowers with just 5 or 6 petals though - do you think it might have something to do with the weight of fabric used? I don't have any actual kimono material, or know what it's like, even! I've normally used chiffon type fabric or else poly/cotton stuff.

Here's my latest attempts:

My hint about getting the petals all together is to stab each petal through with a pin once you've finished folding them. They'll sit nicely and wait until you've done them all. Then you can arrange them how you like, deciding which petals look best beside eachother etc, get the petals evenly trimmed etc, before you begin threading them together.

I'll try and make one after school today and take some pics so you can see how I do it.

Cheers!
Miriam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spangle
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006 10:34:53 PM »

Alright, here's a photo step-by-step of the flowers I made yesterday. Hope they don't take too long to load!
1. Two piles of cut squares. They measure 6x6cm, and the finished flower diameter is about the same:

2. Floral petals, held together with pins:

3. Pink petals, also held together with pins:  Wink

4. Petals for each of the 3 flowers put together in sets, with consideration to colour:

5. 1 lot of petals, trimmed to size (petal length is 3cm):

6. 1/2 the petals threaded together, stitch point is at 2cm from the tip of the petal:

7. All threaded, starting to bring the ends together:

8. The front:

9. The back:

10. Finished, with self-covered button centre.

Cheers,
Miriam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2006 06:07:45 AM »

Spangle, thanks for showing us the pics. I really like the way your flowers turn out. I am going to try again, i didnt have much success with my first try months ago. but I would love to give some of these for xmas. cheers cyndiq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_chittybangbang
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006 09:23:50 AM »

Mine didnt turn out so well haha.. I'm not great at tutorials, and understanding them. This was my first try:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

_chittybangbang
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2006 06:28:00 PM »

Just tried it again, my problem is my "stringing" ..it never turns out right when i string the petals Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spangle
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2006 07:26:42 PM »

OK, here's something else I've discovered, about stringing.

I tie a knot in the end of my thread, right? BUT when you put the petals on *DO NOT* pull the petals tight up against the end of the knotted thread. Just string them together into a bunch a little distance away from the end of the thread, then, (you can even snip off the knot) I snip off the needle end (I always use doubled thread) and tighten everything up just like you're tying a bow. This way, it seems that each petal is subjected to the same tension, rather than having 1 petal that always has extra pulling on it on account of being by the knot.

Confused? ;-) Har! sorry!

Oh, and I did buy some vintage kimono fabric from www.kimoyes.com (in Australia) and it's lovely to work with!

Cheers,
Miriam
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 08:30:48 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006 06:07:32 AM »

hey spangle i love your pics. can u do step by step the actual folding. sorry for being  a pain. but yours are beautiful. best i have seen.
cyndiq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_chittybangbang
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006 06:36:12 AM »

The stuff in your etsy store looks great!..Thanks for the tip  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seeingstars
Star-crossed lovers!

~*~*seeingstars*~*~

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006 08:22:35 AM »

WOW Spangle i love your etsy store. The flowers are gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://world3.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=38041565
pls press this people, it won't do you any harm but helps me! jus go back once you have, thanks!! xxxx
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tame Summer Frizz
Change Up Your Look with Hair Extensions
How To Get Effortless Beach Wavy Hair
Amber Valletta at Her Allure June 2014 Shoot
The 5 Best Curling Irons
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...