A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bananas: Going bananas  (Read 985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 12, 2008 01:10:09 AM »

I apologize if I've put this in the wrong place.  I've been trying to decide for 3 days, uploaded and still another day.  So please forgive and or move.

This is what I've been doing for the past month.  I've been helping to sew costumes (sewing post?)for our annual "Children's Day" (see, holiday).  This year we are doing "Jungle Book"  We all donate our time and skills.  One of the things I was asked to do was 4 felt bananas for the monkey's skirt.  Then they saw them and asked for 10, then they had another idea and asked for,...well you get the idea....they asked for 150 in the end.  So I set up a mini assembly line and went to work.
I got the pattern from a pincushion idea on line  the link is:  http://quamut.com/quamut/sewing_project_silk_fruit_pincushions

Here is the felt on my craft table, the three pieces drawn out and on the way to cut out 450 pieces of banana.

Here they are in the background ready to sew (I did them in groups of 10) and in the foreground the ones already sewn, stuffed and ready to be handfinished.

Finally finished!!!

Now to make 100 snakes (to through into the audience with the left over bananas)
It's been fun.  I'm not finished yet.  First dress rehearsal is this Friday so probably lots more to do.
Last night my friend and I went to the auditorium with the elephant masks we made and brought them cake that I had left from the holidays.
I'll post more pics later cause now I'm sworn to secrecy.lol
Just thought this was funny.  Thanks for looking. (maybe this should have gone in vents? lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 01:17:36 AM »

Wow!  You are the banana legend of all time.  They look good and I'll bet the lucky little monkeys are going to be delighted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008 02:29:18 AM »

lol. Now I can laugh at it.  I sent the last ones off last night.  I was slightly taken aback from the request since I'm supposedly only doing costumes and not props.  They by themselves are simple and fast but with 10 monkeys, 4 elephants, etc well you get the idea.  I sure hope the "little monkeys" enjoy them cause it's so unexpected to be thrown bananas and snakes at. (I'm gonna love to see that.lol)  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrAfTer21
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008 05:05:41 AM »

This rocks! Wow you're a great mom! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A dream is a wists your heart makes
http://www.wists.com/crafter21
littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008 07:41:24 AM »

oh!!! those are so neat!!!  I want one!  and my dogs want one too!  They would make neat dog toys too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008 08:13:18 AM »

Aw thanks you guys!!!
missmoppet, I'm sure your dog would make fast work of these. lol.  Some were made of fleece but was so thick and was heck to sew that I made most of them from felt.  thin felt.
Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmac
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008 05:58:51 PM »

WOW...that is amazing. How many did you actually make? They look so cool. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008 10:11:59 PM »

Thank you jmac.  I ended up making only 140 with the cut up ones in the second picture still in pieces. I think the co coordinator got sick of hand sewing them and gave up.(last night I saw my last 10 still in the bag unfinished)  Last night was the first dress rehearsal and I saw that they just threw them on the stage and not into the audience.  Today we have 10 monkey tails to fix 4 elephant costumes to get finished and some little details like fitting better. I tried to take pics but wasn't allowed.  Oh well.  Next week after the play\show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Singapore Kitchen: How to Make Fish Head Curry
How to Make Sriracha Sauce
Duck Spring Roll Recipe
Chef Shares Recipe For Mentaiko Spaghetti
How to Make a California Roll
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...