A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mobile for baby  (Read 951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawtmamah
« on: June 04, 2008 09:27:46 AM »

So i don't really like to spend money. LOL. Especially if i can make it myself. When my daughter was born we didn't really have much in the way of visual stimulation for her. The best thing for newborns/infants to look at are high contrast black and white images, so I took an old mobile arm from my son's old pack and play (again, one of the only things left from the housefire as it was in a bag at my mother's house, the pack and play burned down to just the metal components) ANYwho. I had this extra mobile arm and wanted to give her something to look at, so i found these images here: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/mobile.html, printed them out, used a cheerios box to sandwich between the cutouts to make them sturdy and then usewd some cotton yarn scraps to wrap around a piece of wire hanger i cut down to just a long piece to hang the things on. I used thread taped to the paper pieces and tied to the wire to dangle them.

I plan on adding to it to hang some pieces that hang parallel to the crib so she can see the images if she's laying directly underneath it. Right now if we lay her back away from it she can see the images just fine and instead of having to wind it up or replace batteries all you do is spin the thing around to twist the yarn and it will slowly spin back until it stops. By that time she's usually asleep. I love it because it doesn't have any annoying music and i don't have to go back every 5 minutes to crank it up (and thus disrupting her nap).

Hope you enjoy! there's all kinds of ways you could make this mobile. I've actually seen another one using these same images posted here on crafster shortly after i made mine:)

and an action shot (sorry the pic is so humongous!):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008 09:39:17 AM »

good job momma Smiley she looks mesmerized by her new-deluxe-mobile
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacymac

painting by Jehra Patrick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008 10:06:35 AM »

Rad- I was thinking of the exaxt same thing to make for my sisters almost here baby.  Great job, cute baby, and I liked the blanket over the crib too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawtmamah
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008 10:41:56 AM »

Rad- I was thinking of the exaxt same thing to make for my sisters almost here baby.  Great job, cute baby, and I liked the blanket over the crib too!

Thanks! My grandmother made that blanket year ago and i nabbed it from my mom. My grandmother ended up making another one for my daughter shortly after she was born, but i keep the red one up on the crib because she loves to just lay there and look at it before she falls asleep:) I'm hoping to get my hands on one of those little looms so i can start making my own;) I already crochet, so it would be fun to incorporate those into other stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008 10:25:36 PM »

I had been wanting to make one for over the changing table. He is so wiggly while I am changing his diaper maybe this would distract him from trying to show me his feet.

You did a great job.

Yay for crafty mamas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Mince Pie Pinwheels
How to Make a Gorgeous Lattice Pie Crust
Homemade Milano Cookie Recipe
How to Make Mini Candy Cane Milano Cookies for Santa
How to Make Preppy Plaid Holiday Cookies
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...