A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,980
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1956 Morse Zig-Zag Sewing Machine  (Read 5620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Noaathalie

Peanut Butter Jelly Time

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2008 04:27:34 PM »

So I was at Goodwill one day and I found this sewing machine in a cabinet for $20. AS IS.  Well, I decided that even for $20, if it didn't work, it wasn't worth the money, so I moved on.  I turned down another isle and there was the most beautiful sewing machine in a cabinet.  I look in the drawers, and it had all the original accessories and the original instruction manual.  I was so excited.  It was marked for $25, and orange tag.  Orange tag just so happened to be 50% off that day.  I was so EXCITED!!!!   Here she is:

Her name is Green.   I brought her home and plugged her in, threaded her, and she just purred.  I was so excited. My husband was like " why do you need this?"  MEN!   Anyway, she is a 1956 Morse Zig-Zag.   O.k. so now I just need to know, as I'm not very familiar with old electicity, is it normal for the motor to spark?  She's not make any weird noses or anything.  I am just not sure.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008 04:40:53 PM »

no, I don't think it should spark.  Be very careful and don't leave it plugged in or you may have a fire on your hands.  you may need to have it cleaned and the electricity may be too much for the little thing.  does it have a grounding plug on it...it should have three prongs?  I definately would have someone look at it before you use it because sparking could be very dangerous and I would hate to see someone hurt....she's pretty!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008 04:58:40 PM by SunflowerSmiles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008 04:45:50 PM »

I think you should change her name to Envy - since there will probably be a lot of people Green with Envy over her!

Okay. that was very tacky I know.  But ya know what?  Some tacky things just need to be said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008 06:09:06 PM »

:I am not real sure but sparks just don't sound like a good idea at all, so I would say NO, its not normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bitchtek
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008 06:45:25 PM »

NO! It is not normal for the motor to spark. Please do not leave it plugged in when you are not using it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MidwestDiva
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008 05:26:45 AM »

What I great find.  I must admit I am a bit green like your sewing machine!  Green with envy that is.  i want to learn how to sew so bad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewnMemaw
SewnMemaw

Sunshine Kay aka Memaw

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008 05:32:45 AM »

No hun it's not normal for a motor to spark..sounds like you have a short somewhere.If i were you I would try to find another motor.They are not hard to install.I have a Morse also and altho I don't use it much(I have 4 machines hooked up already) I keep it because it's a good machine and sews up a storm!
There are websites where you may find  a motor or take one off an old machine that's junk.Most motors fit most machines.

Good luck and keep that Morse...you made an awesome find at the Goodwill store! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Did It My Way  Smiley
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008 07:10:37 AM »

Just the cabinet was worth $50 IMO, the machine is easily worth that or more, FANTASTIC purchase!! A sweet vintage machine like that is well worth spending money getting that motor to behave, either through replacement or repair, although I'd hate to see a brown or black motor hanging off the back of that beautiful greeen machine. Maybe if you take it to a good shop they can just switch the motor inside the housing & keep your pretty vintageness intact Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jerryleetypes
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008 04:53:08 PM »

My husband was like " why do you need this?"  MEN!   

As a man who has a growing collection of vintage sewing machines, it is my girlfriend who often asks "Why do you need this". Nice find. I really like the mid century Japanese-made sewing machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008 10:52:28 AM »

When I was in college I purchased a Morse for NEW (it was a lot purchase with 5 others) for $50.  I loved that machine...it was an anchor weight wise, but a trooper!  I worked it to death...well it never died, I just got fancy and purchased a new machine that did more things.  I sold my Morse for the same $50!

The spark is sometimes seen, but if it does it often I would have a phone chat with a small appliance person (not necessarily a sewing machine shop).  Sometimes those electric motors have "brushes" that just need replacing...it has something to do with how electric motors work Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...