A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: another poncho joins the throng - Now with pattern  (Read 9293 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlings
« on: February 07, 2005 07:11:07 AM »

My good friend Andrea suggested a trade: I'd knit her a poncho in exchange for great stuff from her textiles line, Pink Wagon.  She wanted it to be brown and non-lacy. To make the knitting interesting and the garment unique, I suggested a menswear-like herringbone stitch and custom-dyed Blue Faced Leicester from the Fleece Artist. I also suggested a two-rectangle style of construction so that one day, if she didn't really to wear it as a poncho any more, I could reconfigure it as a shawl or a stole.

The neck has a facing, in dark brown, but I left it unhemmed so that it would be drapey.

Here's the pattern. I apolgize in advance for the nitpicky finishing instructions.

HERRINGBONE PONCHO

This poncho is made up of two 20"x31" rectangles

Yarn: Fleece Artist Bluefaced Leicester DK, 2 x 225g skeins (with little to spare).
Properties of this yarn (bear in mind when substituting): Soft and drapey with a slight halo but clear stitch definition at given gauge after washing.

For optional neck facing: small amount of slightly finer yarn in coordinating colour.

Other tools: 4mm circular needle, 32 inches long; two safety pins; scrap yarn for holding stitches; yarn needle

Gauge: The stitches per inch are difficult to measure in this pattern, because they are angled. I based my gauge measurement on the width of the pattern repeats. 4 repeats (28 stitches)=6" on 4mm needles after blocking, so very close to 4.5 stitches per inch.

Important Notes:
Work the increase as follows: insert the tip of your right needle downwards through the purl bump at the back of the stitch below the next stitch on the needle and knit it, then knit the next stitch on the on the needle (above it).

Edge stitches are worked to create a chain stitch selvedge.

The finishing technique I describe is optional. You can also simply bind off and seam using whichever method you choose. However, my method will produce very nice, symmetrical results.

Instructions:
Cast on 94 stitches.
First and every odd-numbered row: slip 1 knitwise, purl to end
Row 2: slip 1 purlwise, *k2tog, k2, increase in next stitch, k2* repeat to last two stitches, k1, p1
Row 4: slip 1 purlwise, k1 *k2, increase in next stitch, k2, k2tog* repeat to last stitch, p1

Continue in pattern until work measures 32". Do not bind off. Leave stitches on waste yarn.

Work a second, identical rectangle.

Block rectangles to specified dimensions.

Finishing:
Lay rectangles out side by side and right side up, with the live stitch ends pointing in the same direction.  Measuring from the cast-on edge, place a safety pin 20 inches up the right hand side of each rectangle.

Keeping the right side facing, rotate one rectangle 180 degrees, so that the live stitches point in the opposite direction. The marked edges of the rectangles will be facing each other.

You are going to graft the live stitch heads of one rectangle to the marked-off rows on the other. In order to do this nicely, you will need to determine the ratio of your stitches-per-inch to rows-per-inch.

We already know that your stitch gauge measured over 4 inches is 18 (4.5 x 4).
Now measure your row gauge over 4 inches. For the purposes of this demonstration, let's say it's 24.
Now express this relationship as a ratio of stitches to rows - 18:24
Now reduce the ratio to the smallest whole numbers as possible by finding the largest number by which both figures can be divided.
18 and 24 can both be evenly divided by 6, giving a ratio of 3:4. This means that you will seam 3 stitches to 4 rows.

Seam as follows (a combination of grafting and mattress stitch):
Arrange the rectangles so they are at right angles, with the stitch heads aligned with the edge to which you're going to seam them. Thread a length of yarn onto a blunt needle.
1. Bring the needle through the first stitch head from behind
2. *run the needle behind the corresponding horizontal "bar" between the first (selvedge) and second stitch on the other rectangle. Bring the needle back into the stitch head from the front and through the next stitch head from behind. Repeat from* twice more. (3 stitches grafted to 3 rows).
3. Run the needle behind 2 horizontal "bars" before passing it back into the stitch head from the front and through the next stitch head from behind. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to end of seam. Weave in ends.

Repeat with second seam.

Optional neck facing:
Pick up and knit stitches along one half of neck hole. Knit in stocking stitch for about one inch, then graft stitches to wrong side of poncho fabric. Stitch side edges of facing to wrong side of fabric - one edge will be flush with the seam. Repeat along other edge of neck hole. Pat lightly with iron on steam setting.

(c)M. Fautley, 2005.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005 03:35:05 PM by starlings » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005 07:19:12 AM »

That's beautiful!  I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kateartichoke
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005 07:28:53 AM »

very nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Treasure Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005 07:46:58 AM »

Love it, love it, love it!!!  The colours are so beautiful and the texture looks amazing!  Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xiuxiu
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005 09:47:52 AM »

Excellent job!
Very beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marnewein
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005 10:03:24 AM »

WOW, by far one of my favortie ponchos!  Your friend is very lucky!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karenie
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005 11:58:48 AM »

i am seriously impressed, it's so much prettier than the plain ponchos that you see all the time. that yarn is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life, in a knitterly fashion
http://knitterlyfashion.blogspot.com
emling
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005 04:20:07 PM »

I'm a big fan of that herringbone stitch.  Where did you find it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005 04:40:08 PM »

This is a really beautiful poncho... it is making me rethink my refusal to wear something so trendy.  I think I'll try making something like this, and if I don't like it, I'm sure I could find it a home! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
mojisha
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005 05:03:52 PM »

That poncho really is fantastic!  I checked out the Pink Wagon site and really liked her home furnishings.  What did you decide to get in return?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
starlings
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005 05:07:58 PM »

This is a really beautiful poncho... it is making me rethink my refusal to wear something so trendy.  I think I'll try making something like this, and if I don't like it, I'm sure I could find it a home! Smiley

b_c: If you're interested, I'll post the pattern. I have all the yarn amount, stitch pattern and gauge information.

That poncho really is fantastic!  I checked out the Pink Wagon site and really liked her home furnishings.  What did you decide to get in return?

mojisha, I'm leaving it up to andrea. She knows my taste. We talked about a bamboo-handled bag, maybe some table stuff...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretendingsanity
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005 05:40:07 PM »

I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karenie
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005 06:37:56 PM »

i vote yes for posting the pattern, the herringbone stitch is really beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life, in a knitterly fashion
http://knitterlyfashion.blogspot.com
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005 07:12:28 PM »

b_c: If you're interested, I'll post the pattern. I have all the yarn amount, stitch pattern and gauge information.
That would be WONDERFUL! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
taloola
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005 11:07:41 PM »

I LOVe this poncho!   and I normally hate them...I am not diggin' the trend....but this...
this I could do!  It is beautiful.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkpikachu
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005 11:13:07 PM »

I LOVe this poncho!   and I normally hate them...I am not diggin' the trend....but this...
this I could do!  It is beautiful.   
whoa! You just said/typed, what I was about to type. I totally agree!
It looks so comfortable and casua, very me. Cheesy
Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm new! Smiley
If you ever want to talk, feel free to IM me Smiley
starlings
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005 06:20:09 AM »

I'm just writing the pattern now. I'll post it in the next day or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrispykreme
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005 08:55:50 AM »

that is an absolutely gorgeous piece!!! i love it. it looks so sophisticated and casual at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005 07:18:55 AM »

This is gorgeous! It almost looks like it was hand-woven! My mother would flip her wig for this! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
starlings
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2005 03:38:56 PM »

I've posted the herringbone poncho pattern into the body of my original message. I was pretty careful in writing the instructions, but please let me know if anything is unclear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2005 04:43:23 PM »

thank you! Cheesy  I'm starting it as I type!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
starlings
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2005 08:03:56 PM »

thank you! Cheesy  I'm starting it as I type!

Wow! What kind of yarn are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Fire Island Inspired Meal
Nearly No Fat Fudge Brownies Recipe
How to Make Perfect Pancakes
How to Make Crispy French Toast
How to Make a Basic Pie Crust
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...