A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: authentic German & scot-irish recipes?  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2008 09:59:28 AM »

Does anyone have any authentic German and/or scot-irish recipes?I would love to learn about the foods they eat & how to fix them.I just found out I came from  a family that was pure German.So I want to find out about the foods they eat.Also I came from a family that was scot-irish same reason for recipes.Any help would be apprecited.Thanks. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
ThePolygotNerd
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 07:41:39 AM »

Well, mostly, modern Scottish and Irish people eat the same kind of thing as the majority of the British Isles.

Traditional recipe-wise, you can't really go wrong with stew, for which there must be a million and one recipes.  Beef or lamb are more traditional meats to use, and the vegetables included would tend to be potato, turnip, possibly swede, carrot, parsnip, and other such things - root vegetables, basically.  With dumplings, this is  one of the loveliest meals going.  We used to have this for school dinners once a week at my primary school ^_^.

Also, soda bread.  I'm not clear on how one makes it, but it's really nice.

Apologies if my English English is difficult to understand  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008 03:23:25 PM »

for the German stuff, make spaetzle! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/HERBED-SPAETZLE-103199

If you don't have a mill or whatever, just put the dough into a freezer bag (a storage bag is a bit too thin), and snip a good-size hole in the corner for squeezing it into noodles.

Serve it with slow cooked beef stew with sherry and molasses added and it'll be the best meal you ever had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bijou2005
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008 07:53:06 PM »

I like to make a schnitzel and spaetzle combo, the recipe from this blogger is the one I've been turning too most frequently 

http://culinography.wordpress.com/2008/01/16/comfort-food/

I've been swapping out the pork for chicken and making a chicken gravy..tasty!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008 08:21:32 AM »

Hello

I can't help you on the German recipies, but as an English person living in Scotland with an Irish dad I might shed some light on the others!

Traditional irish recipies - try things like soda bread, potato cakes (sometimes called farls), bacon & cabbage, irish stew, potato & leek soup & my favourites champ & colcannon (i do love potatoes!).  This website has a few recipes you might like to try...http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/An-Irish-Feast/Detail.aspx

For Scottish recipies, this website has a few traditional things http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/.  Tray bakes such as tablet & caramel shortcake are to die for (and not the best for your teeth or waistline - but are delicious!). 

Hope these help & have fun

Trekky  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
maho_manic
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008 05:05:11 AM »

Well there is also German "Pfannkuchen" which translates into pancakes, but is different from American pancakes. I can't give you an exact recipe because I just throw the ingredients together... you can just try it it's very easy.
2 eggs
butter
sugar
a tiny pinch of salt
flour
milk
The batter need's to be very thin, so that you can pour it easily. Pour some of it in a heated pan with some melted butter in it. Wait until it's dry on one side and then turn it (basically like pancakes) and try it just with some sugar or marmalade. You can also eat it with veggies but then I would add less sugar to the batter. Commonly it is eaten sweet with sugar or marmalade. or you could add thin slices of apple to the batter.

Sptzel like CraftyChef suggested are good too. I'd say typical German meals involve a lot of potatoes. There is "Reibekuchen" wich is made from raw grated potatoes trown in in pan as round "cakes"... I know it with apple puree mostly but you an eat nonsweet stuff with it too!

If you need help with any of my vague suggestions or have any more questions you can just send me a PM!^^

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Playdough
How to Make Edible Playdough
How to Make Plasticine
How to Make Green Plasticine
How to Make White Plasticine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...