A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Strip-pieced duffle bag: Now with tutorial  (Read 2510 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThatNanda
« on: June 10, 2008 07:52:10 PM »

I love making these.  Love, love, love.  They're so easy, they make great gifts, and they are perfect for sleepovers, diaper bags, whatever. 

You will need:

Rectangle of cotton batting, roughly 31 X 23
22" separating zipper (one of those chunky, sporty kind)
Several different, colorful fabrics for strips
Rectangle of fabric, same size as batting, for lining
A Strip of cotton batting, 48" X 6"

Step one:  Get yourself a rectangle of cotton batting - mine was roughly 31 W x 23 L, but that's just because I had a rectangle of batting that size; it's a very flexible project.

Step two:  Cut strips of different fabrics, slightly longer than your W measurement, and in various widths. 

Step three:  Lay a single strip across the middle of the bag, right side up, then lay another strip on top of it, so that their right sides are together and their right edges match.  Stitch through fabric and batting.  Press open.

Step Four:  Repeat step three until one side of the batting is covered in fabric.  Then, starting from the middle strip again, do the same thing to the other side of the batting.

Step Five:  Time to neaten things up; If there is excess fabric hanging off either end of the batting rectangle, cut it off.

Step Six:  Ok, zipper time.  To make life easier, I use a separating zipper.  So separate that sucker, then place one half across the length of the bag (so it runs across every fabric strip) right sides together, matching the edge of the fabric to the fabric edge of the zipper.  Stitch.  Then match the remaining zipper half to the other side of the rectangle, edges and right sides together, and stitch.     

Step seven:  Now take your rectangle of lining fabric and lay it on top, right sides together, with the zipper sections sandwiched in between.  Stitch on the same two lines where you sewed the zipper to the pieced rectangle.  Flip so that the right sides are now facing out and press.

Step eight:  Close your zipper and stitch a couple of times across the bottom teeth - this will stop it from separating when your bag is finished.  You should now have a fabric tube.

Step nine: Making the strap: Take your 48" x 6" piece of batting.  Using leftover strips colorful fabric slightly longer than 6", piece the strap in the same manner as the bag.  Trim off excess.  Fold both ends of the 6" side of the strap toward the center, wrong sides together, tucking the outside flap about 1/2" under and centering it, then stitching right down the middle of the strap.

Step ten:  Flip your fabric tube so that the lining is on the outside.  At the side near the bottom of the zipper, lay the bag flat so that the zipper is centered, with fabric on either side, and make your seam, catching one end of the strap in it (also centered.)  At the other end, run your seam so that the zipper is at the very edge of the fabric, catching the other side of the strap in the seam (try to angle the strap in the seam, so that it seems to run smoothly out the top of the bag, and not awkwardly out the side.)  Flip bag rightside out.  You're done!                     
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008 09:09:20 PM by ThatNanda » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dftkarin
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 08:19:36 PM »

Hey! Clever - I love the strips and color combos!! Simple you say?? How can that be? Did you follow a tute online? I love the bag! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephers
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 08:24:10 PM »

Oh, yeah, it's cute and we're gonna need a tute for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Stephanie

"Most of us are the load we're carrying." -Noah benShea
ThatNanda
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008 09:30:22 PM »

It's something my mom made up, actually, and it couldn't be simpler.  I'll try to write something up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
winstongang

I like to move it move it!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008 09:57:42 PM »

looks fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
http://fabulouslycrafty.blogspot.com/

~Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life~
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008 10:52:41 AM »

This looks great. It's kind of easy to figure out, except top pic on the left? - either the seam is different or the bag is just in an odd position.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThatNanda
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008 11:50:02 AM »

This looks great. It's kind of easy to figure out, except top pic on the left? - either the seam is different or the bag is just in an odd position.

No, you're right.  The bottom seam runs horizontal, but the top seam runs vertical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacijane
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008 04:57:46 PM »

AAhhhh.....I see!  What a neat design!  It would be a perfect PJ bag for a sleepover.  I'm going to have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThatNanda
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008 09:10:23 PM »

I've added a tutorial.  I've never written one of these up before, so if anyone is confused at any point, I'll try to clarify.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Super Bowl Party Chicken Wings Recipe
How to Make Party Shrimp Caesar Salad for Super Bowl
Seared Scallops with Roasted Beets and Garden Herb Salad
Roasting and Preparing Beets
How to Make a Vinaigrette Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...