A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Packaging + Supplies  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2008 12:42:53 PM »

After talking about it for over 3 years, I'm finally biting the bullet this summer and starting up a craft business via Etsy.  I have some of the basics sorted out (theme, prices, craft supplies, time commitment, etc.), but I'm stuck on 2 issues:  Packaging my product for shipping in a creative way, and buying supplies for said packaging.

Originally, I figured that I'd sell so little that I could just buy the 75 cent jewelry boxes at the craft store (I'm mainly selling jewelry, BTW.  Possibly some plushies, but that's still up in the air) and slap a home-printed sticker on the top, but I don't want to end up in a situation where the craft store's run out, and I'm also worried that 75 cents + sticker paper + ink could add too much to my prices to keep things reasonable.  I looked up buying those boxes wholesale, but I could only find bulk sales, and I don't have the space or the money for thousands of little boxes.

My other idea was to make origami boxes and earring cards to place inside.  This could be a nice, attractive package, but it would take 5-10 minutes just to package 1 item, and I don't think they would ship well without being placed in another box.

What do you use for creative packaging, and where do you recamend getting affordable supplies that are preferably not in bulk? (by bulk I mean minimun orders in the hundreds)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
mom2blu
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 03:12:57 PM »

I'd suggest checking out Nashville Wraps (i think it's just www.nashvillewraps.com) they have some gorgeous boxes. You can also buy themed stuff of jewelry boxes, gift wrap, tissue etc that all matches. Their minimums are a lot smaller then most, you can get just 25-50 of most of their items.

Also if you ship priority mail you can order boxes free from the USPS website.

There is another box company similar to Nashville too, but I can't think of the name right now.

Pretty much any more decorative box you get is going to have to go into a shipping box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008 03:01:53 PM »

Ah, that website is great!  50 is a much more reasonable number than 500 ^_^  And very nice options, too!

I think I was more worried than I should have been about putting the packaging into another box for shipping.  I've only shipped larger items, which I had to put into big boxes, and somehow my addled mind thought that those boxes were the only shipping option?  Lol, so nevermind that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Fried Squash and Zucchini
How to make Mashed Potatoes
How to make Salisbury Steak Hamburger Steak with Gravy
How to make Mixed Beans
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...