A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Craftalong  (Read 1639 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« on: June 10, 2008 12:08:50 PM »

Would anyone be interested in this?  I've made a few things to save money, but I'm running out of ideas, and I'd love to see what anyone else can come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 12:39:37 PM »

i'm intrigued. what sort of stuff are you making? what do you consider to be frugal - using what you already have or limiting to a certain amount of spending on a given project or limiting the number of items used, etc.?

thanks - looking forward to more of your ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 01:39:37 PM »

Using what you have, or limiting spending for a project are both frugal.  I was also thinking of making things that would save money in other areas.  Some examples: last summer I made a shade for my balcony to block the sun coming into my apartment, which helped lower my electric bill.  I made a window quilt for my bedroom with some pre-quilted brocade which keeps it warmer in winter, and blocks the heat in the summer.  I've also been making my own cleaning products, primarily just mixing baking soda and vinegar.

I was inspired by the eco-craftalong thread, because there's a big overlap between things that are both good for the environment and easy on the wallet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008 04:47:31 AM »

good ideas!

i'm interested and i'll keep watching for updates!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 10:02:36 AM »

I've got another one:  Reusable shopping bags!  My grocery store offers a 5 cent rebate per bag.  If one were to make some out of free, leftover, or very cheap fabric, like thrift store sheets, it would be a money saver, as well as good for the environment.  I have 8, which gets me 40 cents each trip, which saves me up to $20 a year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachingjonah
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008 05:55:12 AM »

Interesting idea...Have you ever read the Tightwad Gazette?  There are all kinds of things that could be crafted from that book that save money.  I adore those books. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008 07:18:55 AM »

Yes, I have the 3-in-1 set.  I love them too there are so many ideas in there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 10:02:00 AM by Ashling » THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachingjonah
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008 06:07:15 AM »

Yes, I have the 3-in-1 set.  I love them toom there are so many ideas in there.

That's the one I have Smiley  I find it very handy to have around. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009 05:16:40 AM »

Well, I haven't been on this thread since I moved, but man, it looks like we all need to be saving money now!

The latest thing I did didn't really save me money since my heat is now included in my rent, but could work for someone else.  I have a window air conditioner that was letting in air from the outside.  It was freezing in the room it was in, but I didn't have the money to spend on a cover for it.  So, I fused some plastic bags together, taped them over the vents in the front, and covered the whole thing with a folded in half fleece blanket.  It looks decent, and makes a huge difference in how warm our apartment is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009 05:01:26 PM »

I joined wardrobe refashion which is a pledge not to buy new clothing for a set period of time ( I opted of 4 months) and they encourage you to refashion what you have.  I've turned a plain jane coat I would never wear into something I love to put on everyday, turned a purple shirt into a skirt, modified another skirt, used several old garments in craft projects and such.  It's a great place for inspiration. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making the Aioli for the Crab Cakes
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes Recipe
Plating the New York Strip Steak
Making Cognac Butter for the Strip Steaks
Grilled New York Strip Steak Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...