A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Craftalong  (Read 1646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« on: June 10, 2008 12:08:50 PM »

Would anyone be interested in this?  I've made a few things to save money, but I'm running out of ideas, and I'd love to see what anyone else can come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 12:39:37 PM »

i'm intrigued. what sort of stuff are you making? what do you consider to be frugal - using what you already have or limiting to a certain amount of spending on a given project or limiting the number of items used, etc.?

thanks - looking forward to more of your ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 01:39:37 PM »

Using what you have, or limiting spending for a project are both frugal.  I was also thinking of making things that would save money in other areas.  Some examples: last summer I made a shade for my balcony to block the sun coming into my apartment, which helped lower my electric bill.  I made a window quilt for my bedroom with some pre-quilted brocade which keeps it warmer in winter, and blocks the heat in the summer.  I've also been making my own cleaning products, primarily just mixing baking soda and vinegar.

I was inspired by the eco-craftalong thread, because there's a big overlap between things that are both good for the environment and easy on the wallet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008 04:47:31 AM »

good ideas!

i'm interested and i'll keep watching for updates!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 10:02:36 AM »

I've got another one:  Reusable shopping bags!  My grocery store offers a 5 cent rebate per bag.  If one were to make some out of free, leftover, or very cheap fabric, like thrift store sheets, it would be a money saver, as well as good for the environment.  I have 8, which gets me 40 cents each trip, which saves me up to $20 a year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachingjonah
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008 05:55:12 AM »

Interesting idea...Have you ever read the Tightwad Gazette?  There are all kinds of things that could be crafted from that book that save money.  I adore those books. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008 07:18:55 AM »

Yes, I have the 3-in-1 set.  I love them too there are so many ideas in there.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 10:02:00 AM by Ashling » THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachingjonah
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008 06:07:15 AM »

Yes, I have the 3-in-1 set.  I love them toom there are so many ideas in there.

That's the one I have Smiley  I find it very handy to have around. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashling
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009 05:16:40 AM »

Well, I haven't been on this thread since I moved, but man, it looks like we all need to be saving money now!

The latest thing I did didn't really save me money since my heat is now included in my rent, but could work for someone else.  I have a window air conditioner that was letting in air from the outside.  It was freezing in the room it was in, but I didn't have the money to spend on a cover for it.  So, I fused some plastic bags together, taped them over the vents in the front, and covered the whole thing with a folded in half fleece blanket.  It looks decent, and makes a huge difference in how warm our apartment is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009 05:01:26 PM »

I joined wardrobe refashion which is a pledge not to buy new clothing for a set period of time ( I opted of 4 months) and they encourage you to refashion what you have.  I've turned a plain jane coat I would never wear into something I love to put on everyday, turned a purple shirt into a skirt, modified another skirt, used several old garments in craft projects and such.  It's a great place for inspiration. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp
Sarah Lewis on Turning Setbacks Into Great Advantage
Find Lasting Happiness: Be Nobody
Jason Reynolds: What Are You Reading?
Lynn Cullen: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...