A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pleat Reinforcement?  (Read 223 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2008 10:50:18 AM »

So I'm working on my second pleated skirt, and seeing how easily pleats come out of denim(even stitch enforced!  Aghh!), I was wondering if there was, like, a cheap way to fix this problem.  My parents suggested starch, but doesn't that still wash out?

Specs:
        The fabric is 100% cotton.  I'm recycling my boyfriends Tripp pants that he decided were "too red."
        I'd love it if the solution was something in my cabinet, because i have no money and no good stores around here, but if there is something that would work for sure, please let me know!

Thanks! 
Minorpunk56~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 12:32:13 PM »

Smiley Dear Mom is right, starch will help tremendously.
What you want though is not canned spray starch but concentrated liquid starch, in the same aisle of the grocery store with the laundry soap- and it's cheap. You will water it down depending on how stiff you want your item. 50/50 starch/ water will be like cardboard when dry, but then you steam iron it & it'll wear beautifully.

Get a bucket/ bowl/ clean sink measure out equal parts water & starch. You might want to just fill with enough water to get the skirt fully soaked to see how much liquid you need, then squeeze out the skirt & start over with your starch & water mix. The skirt doesn't have to float, just enough so everything gets good & wet. Put the skirt in the solution, poke it till it's saturated (a minute is plenty), hang up to dry. Yes, it'll be all wrinkly looking because it's wet & it'll dry to the cardboard state. Once fully dry, Iron with a lot of steam & it'll look downright professional Smiley

Yes, some will come out every time you wash it, but a heavy starching like that will last a couple washes. Besides, it's a skirt, you can probably get away with wearing it 2-3 times before laundering. I wear my silk wrap skirt several times before washing cause it's such a pain to wash! (do you realize a circle & half floor length skirt can fill the entire bathtub space?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 01:14:42 PM »

Ha ha!  Penlowe, you're great.  Thanks a ton!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Helen Vs. Cleopatra, from Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn on Petite Fashion
When Tim Gunn Discovered Fashion
Tim Gunn on Flattering Your Figure
What To Wear In Transitional Weather, from Tim Gunn
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...