A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my big fat redneck wedding dress....well sorta  (Read 4628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2008 11:06:51 PM »

okay so my honey and i are nascar fans...okay, i am a 'fan', he is a FANATIC.....anyways, we had tickets to a race here in atlanta in march. a week or so before the race he checked the track's website for last minute info. they were offering "Track Weddings".....we discussed it for a day or so and decided that with 4 kids and family all over the US, we were never going to work out having a traditional wedding. the next day we took care of the legal aspect of it at the courthouse and it was officially "on".

being a woman, i got to thinking..hey wait a minute, im giving up coming down the isle in some beautiful wedding gown....so i decided 4 days prior to the BIG day that i was going to make my own dress. but this was a NASCAR wedding. i couldnt parade around the track in some fru-fru white dress. classic and traditional get tossed out the window when you are planning a trackside wedding dress.

i found the pattern i wanted and the perfect fabric and began with 3 days remaining. i also got my nails done....to match the fabric.

the wedding coordinator called us with 2 days remaining and half a dress made and dropped the bomb. no dresses, skirts, shorts or open-toed shoes were allowed since we were going to have pit road access and the majority of events would take place on the track.

i was so upset!!!!  Cry i lost nearly half a day trying to somehow salvage my idea. my honey was sympathetic and tried to convice me that a Jeff Gordon t-shirt would go just as well with his jeans and Dale Jr. t-shirt.....i however, was not convinced.

with one day remaining, i decided on a stylish vest and tossed out more $$ on the pattern and more fabric.

well, heck! 12 hours to go and i screwed up bigtime! i never fit the sizing chart on those stupid patterns and my non-educated guess was about 2 sizes too small....

knowing i needed sleep or at least some rest, i made one final trip to the store at 1am to buy supplies to throw together my very last hope of making and wearing my own anything.

and the next day I was married to my honey on the start/finish line in front of the whole crowd wearing:

Tada! A corset-y, vest-y kinda thing.....with my doc martens, of course.. Grin

i looked happy here, but it was about 38 degrees and windy!

truly happy here.....hugging my new hubby and getting WARM!

anyways, i realize i prolly rambled on way too long and over dramatized, but you only get one wedding right? okay maybe two.....

thanks for sticking around until the end, lol.

i didnt look too redneckish did i? lol

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 11:13:43 PM »

Congrats!  And you looked GREAT!  I love your vest- the checkerboard is awesome!

"who knows where thoughts come from... they just appear"
-lucas "empire records"
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 01:43:56 AM »

Congrats!!! You look so happy.  Sooo cute!   Cheesy  yayyyy

My Etsy Shop - Child of Glum
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008 01:54:02 AM »

Congrats on doing it your way! Cheesy And for actually making it through, even with all the roadblocks..pun SO not intended. :p

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008 05:32:14 AM »

You DO look completely adorable - no one who didn't know the story would guess it wasn't plan A!

(Now you should have a huge party and wear the dress!)

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).

To Knit or not to Knit...Is that a Question?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008 07:07:47 AM »

ahhh congratulations!!!! You both look so happy! nothing like handmade to make you feel dressed for the occasion!

Women like to sit down with trouble - as if it were knitting" - Ellen Glasgow

Come visit my blog at http://peacockchic.wordpress.com

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008 08:15:04 AM »

First of, congrats. I think you looked adorable. You looked like you were dressed for a Nascar weddings, but still nice. I'll admit I was concerned when you said it was going to be a Nascar themed dress, but I think you did very nicely.

My Wist!

50 in 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008 09:00:34 AM »

I have to say, that is really cute.  I was cracking up when I was reading the story.  I am sorry to say, but I am not a Nascar fan.  Please don't hold it against me, I grew up in Dover and it becomes a different story from the other side!!!  However, I do think the fans are great people (and good tippers!).  Congratulations to you both and kudos to a very different wedding idea!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008 11:49:34 AM »

You two look great together!  Smiley

Life is full of adventure!

I see you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008 03:52:01 PM »

Congrats! What a great way to make memories Smiley

The gal who smiles when things go wrong has just thought of someone to blame it on.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Rotobrush Tool in After Effects
Where to Find 3D Visualization Resources
How to Use Free Stuff from Google in Funtimerhinestone
How to Take 3D Photographs
How to Draw Betty Boop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...