A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tote bag with crooked fabric  (Read 1470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kathigarn
« on: June 09, 2008 06:48:30 PM »

The bottom fabric was crooked on this.  It really aggravated me!!  Other than that, I like the tote - it is a bigger size.  The crooked fabric makes it look like the purse is crooked, but it isn't --- I have measured it!!

I worked and worked with the fabric, but it just wasn't right.  I thought maybe it would look better after the bag was finished, but it doesn't!

Oh well.

One side:

The other side:

As you can see, both sides are wonky.  It is from the same cut of fabric - I think it just didn't print right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luvcraft
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 07:03:57 PM »

I think it looks fine - I love your fabric choices - so fresh looking!
Perhaps you could sew some ric rak over the seams if it bothers you too much?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MommaRosita
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008 07:56:15 PM »

I love it! It is super cute, I didnt even know that it was crooked until I read it, and now that I inspect it, it almost looks like you made it wonky on purpose! =D either way, its adorable and you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008 10:55:02 AM »

In the first pic it looks a teeny bit crooked, but it looks fine in the second one.
I think it's great--you can hardly notice the crookedness.  Your choice of fabrics and colours is awesome and it's very well constructed.  Good job. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
snoderlye
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008 11:36:01 AM »

I love it!  It is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Beth
feyleona

it's pretty in here...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008 12:12:12 PM »

I see what you mean about the crookedness...but honestly, it wouldn't have been noticed if you hadn't pointed it out!!

Having said that, sometimes material is actually printed a little "off".  I have an old sewing/alterations book that has a mini tutorial on how to fix the pattern so that it is straight.  I've used it and it really does work.  Kind of fiddly, but worth it if you love or have spent lots of $$$ on your fabric of choice!!

Your bag is gorgeous!  Retro prints are fab!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the doctors say i'm going to be fine...
kathigarn
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008 06:00:48 PM »

I see what you mean about the crookedness...but honestly, it wouldn't have been noticed if you hadn't pointed it out!!

Having said that, sometimes material is actually printed a little "off".  I have an old sewing/alterations book that has a mini tutorial on how to fix the pattern so that it is straight.  I've used it and it really does work.  Kind of fiddly, but worth it if you love or have spent lots of $$$ on your fabric of choice!!

Do tell - how do you "fix" the material!!  This print truly was "off".  Had I put more thought into it, I should have put the side that was better at the top and let it get more crooked at the bottom.  Well, I did get the more crooked side at the bottom on one side.  I mainly work with fat quarters, so I try not to spend a whole lot of money in one piece of fabric.  There are so many pretty fabrics out there!  I can get A LOT of fat quarters or a few 1/2 yards.  I prefer A LOT!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MomOfBoys
Specializing in custom bags, purses and more.

Sewing is my sanity :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008 07:24:42 PM »

I love it ! ! ! and I love Amy Butler fabric too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feyleona

it's pretty in here...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008 05:57:29 AM »

Do tell - how do you "fix" the material!!  This print truly was "off".  Had I put more thought into it, I should have put the side that was better at the top and let it get more crooked at the bottom.  Well, I did get the more crooked side at the bottom on one side.  I mainly work with fat quarters, so I try not to spend a whole lot of money in one piece of fabric.  There are so many pretty fabrics out there!  I can get A LOT of fat quarters or a few 1/2 yards.  I prefer A LOT!!!!

yup.  i said it and now, of course, i can't find it.  i have many vintage (read: OLD) sewing books and manuals.  i know that tut is in one of them...i've just got to hunt it down now!! 

i just didn't want you to think i was ignoring you!!  as soon as i find it, i'll post it...i promise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the doctors say i'm going to be fine...
kathigarn
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008 01:36:00 PM »

yup.  i said it and now, of course, i can't find it.  i have many vintage (read: OLD) sewing books and manuals.  i know that tut is in one of them...i've just got to hunt it down now!! 

i just didn't want you to think i was ignoring you!!  as soon as i find it, i'll post it...i promise!
[/quote]

Thanks for looking - if you can't find it, that is okay!!  BUT, if you do happen to run across it, please let me know.  I have encountered other fabric that was "off" before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Brushes Guide
How to Do a Cat Flick
Beauty Product Debates - What Ones Are the Best?
Binky Felstead Gets a Natural Makeover
How to Get Full, Gorgeous Brows - and Look Younger Too
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...