A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amaco Pasta Machine  (Read 2512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 09, 2008 03:03:35 PM »

Any idea why a brand new pasta machine would start leaving bits of chrome off the rollers after using it for only a couple hours? I've scoured the pasta machine section at GlassAttic.com, but if anyone mentioned it, I didn't see it. Did I do something wrong? Or did I just manage to pick a crappy one off the shelf?

I'm getting a bit frustrated. The first machine I bought was rusty, so I exchanged it for the chromey one, and now I've bought a third from a different store, and will be taking the second one back to where I bought it unless anyone can help me out.

I don't do a lot of claying (yet), so I don't want to spend much more money. Heck, I didn't have any business buying the first one, but we all know how that goes! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Noadi
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 11:07:34 PM »

Sounds like you got a defective pasta machine, I hope you got your money back.  I use an amaco pasta machine all the time and I've had it for almost 3 years without having the problem you had so it's definitely not normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 07:55:40 AM »

This is not good news. 

Previously the Amaco pasta machine was "okay" for most casual clayers even though it's one of the ones made in the Far East (usually cheaply made).  It did have a few problems but those could usually be overcome or didn't matter much.

The only problem I'd heard about flakes from pasta machines though was re the newest version of a good-quality machine (the Atlas, which is made in Italy) which has had problems since they redesigned it using different materials for the scrapers and the gears; this is from my Pasta Machines page (I don't know the latest scuttlebut about the Amaco(s) since I really don't read the big polymer groups anymore though):

"fine black metal flakes sometimes fall under the gears and get onto the sides of the clay as it passes through (worse with stiffer clays?)"

Those are black metal flakes though, so unless they're the same as your chrome ones just covered with black grease, that may  not be the same thing.  Are your black flakes generally happening at the sides of the rollers??

If so, you might get some relief from making sure you don't stress the rollers by putting clay through the rollers that's too thick or too hard (this is recommended for any pasta machine btw!-- but especially the cheaper ones).

Otherwise, I'd take it back.  I'd also take a wad of light-colored clay with me to try the replacement one while still at the store so it would be less hassle to return. 
It could be that Amaco has their machines made by various different factories, or that certain batches of machines had this problem from the particular materials or equipment used, and in those cases all the ones at a particular store at the same time period might be the same.  You might also want to talk to a manager before buying a new one and explain that you'll need to try another one(s) before deciding to keep it, so perhaps she could just set you up in the back room so you could do that (rather than perhaps doing the checking inside, or just in front of, the store and other people, then immediately returning up to several machines) --if they don't go for that, check it out in your car.  There'd be a table in the back room you could attach the machine to, but in your car you may need to take a board or something to attach it to unless you have a friend who can hold it down for you.   

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008 07:57:29 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
ilysa
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008 04:25:11 AM »

That happens a lot with all pasta machines,try running a baby wipe through the rollers to help clean them. The Amaco is a cheaper model of the pasta machines so it is not one of the best ones. I have had the best luck with the Atlas machines. Good luck!
Ilysa

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012 03:27:06 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008 09:41:19 AM »

I believe what ilysa is referring to as happening commonly with (many) pasta machines are the "streaks" of gray color which can be created on the clay--sometimes especially at the edges of the clay sheet.  I hadn't heard of "bits of chrome" coming off the rollers though or even inside the machine except for the fine black flakes I mentioned with the new Atlas pasta machines. 

(If it's gray streaks you're getting on the clay, you can read more about how to prevent and remove those on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/pastamachines.htm
...click on Streaks, under Problems)

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008 09:43:30 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008 06:35:21 PM »

I've been using pearl clays since this has been happening. I thought it might be just larger chunks of mica, but I'm fairly certain that's not what they are. I've been getting around the problem by using wax paper to get within one setting of what I want, then running it through without the wax paper on the final setting. I've had pretty good luck doing it that way - but I shouldn't have to bother with the wax paper, dangit! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Lady Anca
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008 08:36:21 AM »

I've decided to post here, because i need a piece of advice. I have to choose between two pasta machines: one is FIREMOUNTAINS and the other one is Fackelmann. Which one is best? There is a huge difference considering the price, the one from the firemountains costs twice as much as the other one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008 01:45:50 PM »

one is FIREMOUNTAINS and the other one is Fackelmann. Which one is best? There is a huge difference considering the price,

I think that the pasta machines sold on those sites are particular brands of pasta machine, and I'm not sure which brands each is offering. 

It looks like the Firemountain Gems site has a brand called "Poly-Roller" (not to be confused with the acrylic hand roller called a "PolyRoller"), which is fairly inexpensive so it's probably one of the many pasta machines made in the Far East that are being sold for crafts these days.  Michaels carries the Amaco version of a Far East pasta machine which is reasonable, but in general none of the pasta machines made in the Far East are as sturdy (or expensive) as the ones made in Italy.  There have been a few other problems with some of the ones made in Italy though too lately, though they're still very sturday... not sure if those are fixed completely.

So I'd say it's okay to get one of the machines made in the Far East (the one at Michaels can be had for only about $15 when using one of their bi-weekly coupons) as long as you handle the machine and the clay in it correctly.**  (There are probably some made in the Far East that really won't hold up though.)

(I can't tell which brand and model is being sold at your other store, Fackelmann, to compare).

You can read all about pasta machines used for polymer clay, as well as how to handle** the clay even when you buy a cheapie so it will last, on this page of my site, if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/pastamachines.htm
(...click on General Care** at least)

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008 01:49:11 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Lady Anca
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008 03:52:22 AM »

Thanks...Well, here this pasta machine costs 75$ and the one from Fakelmann costs aprox 32$ that is why i was a bit confused  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowii
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008 02:10:51 AM »

Does anyone use the Makin machine?
It's $75 at michaels but other than that they only have the amaco one which is half the price.
Are these things even worth it? Or should I just get a real pasta machine for pasta? (or are they as expensive?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham Sandwich Recipe
PB&J Bagel Sandwich Recipe
Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Southern-Favorite Hummingbird Cookies Recipe
Crock Pot Chili Con Carne Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...