A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decoupage Tutorial  (Read 51867 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2005 05:28:03 PM »

Materials:

-Something to decoupage on:  Old shoeboxes can be a great place to start (and are free so there's nothing lost if you screw it up) but pretty much anything can be decoupaged as I'm sure you've seen around here. (Wooden items like tables or cigar boxes, plastics like suitcases, metals like the ever popular Altoid tin, glass vases and such - if it holds still it can be decoupaged.) For this I used a small chocolates box.
-Something to decoupage onto your object: This can be pictures from magazines, pretty paper napkins, stamps, some fabrics, comic books, old sewing patterns, etc. It's generally best to stick with something in the fiber family (papers and fabrics) and be fairly thin because you want your glue to get a really good hold. For this I used images of print fabrics from catalogs and magazines.
-Decoupage medium: You can use Mod Podge (available in matte or shiny finishes), other commercial products or just plain white school glue watered down (equal parts glue and water), which is what I like to use.
-Brush for the medium
-Scissors: To trim up your images...  I recommend using scissors that you don't mind getting a bit messy since you're dealing with glue.
-OPTIONAL Brush for paint & paint: I like to paint my object before I start just in case I don't completely cover the surface with my images or in case they are transparent. I used white acrylic craft paint.

1. Prep your surface. In my case I peeled the label off my chocolate box since it wasn't glued down very well and I didn't want the logo showing through and then I gave it a quick coat of paint.

2. Figure out your design. If you are doing a complete collage, select the images you want to stand out the most and set them aside. You'll want to save them for the end so they don't get buried under other images.

3. Start somewhere... slop down a whole bunch of glue on your surface or to the back of the image itself.  Apply your image and slop down even more glue on top. The idea is to get your image completely sealed in glue, top and bottom, so that there are no air bubbles or lumps.

You may notice with some images (specifically those cut from magazines) that you can see the printing from the opposite side when they are wet. In my experience, if you couldn't see it before the paper was wet, you won't see it once it dries, so don't freak out until you see how it dries. Keep moving until your item is covered in images to your liking.

4. Let dry.

5. Trim up the edges of your object if applicable.

6. Cover the object in glue medium again and allow to dry.

7. Check your object for any loose images... places where a bubble may have formed or a corner that is sticking up. I glue these down with full strength white glue (which dries clear.) OPTIONAL: You can lightly sand the object with a very fine sand paper to remove any extra lumps. (I never sand my stuff though.)

8. Cover in a 3rd coat of glue and allow to dry. I usually do a 4th and 5th coat as well. In between coats for the patchwork box top, I decoupaged the bottom of the box with pink tissue paper and made a felt lining for it.

The lid for my box was rather loose to begin with but in case of a tight fit between box lid and bottom, decoupaging the bottom (or inside of the lid) wouldn't work because the box would no longer fit together. It's important to keep that in mind when decoupaging boxes.

9. Seal if desired. Mod podge is made to act as a sealant and in my experience school glue is fairly durable as well. However, if your creation will get a lot of wear, you may also wish to spray it with a clear art sealant.

10. Enjoy your finished creation!!!

Decoupage is not an exact art - there can be a lot of trial and error depending on your medium, the object you're decoupaging and the images you are using. For this reason, I wouldn't use any antique or otherwise irreplaceable items for your first project. Overall though, it is a very versatile and forgiving craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
PrincessPerversion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005 05:51:23 PM »

ohh, i remember decoupaging things at camp. in the end it was mostly us who were covered in the glue and paper, but we were young and it was fun.
so...my question:
does modge podge stick to smooth metal surfaces, or is my best bet to rough it up a bit so it sticks better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005 06:04:57 PM »

Thank you for this tutorial. I've actually never tried decoupage and have wanted to try so now I will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
AnnaReilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005 07:11:21 PM »

does modge podge stick to smooth metal surfaces, or is my best bet to rough it up a bit so it sticks better?

I don't use Mod Podge but I've had good luck with my glue+water working on smooth surfaces like glass and metal. When I've decoupaged on metal I've painted the surface first (DecoArt makes a no-prep acrylic paint for metal that works great) so that might help the glue adhere... But when I did the glass bottles for example, I had paper all around the bottle and then with all the coats of glue it made such a tight shell of paper and glue that I think even if the paper didn't stick to the glass forever, it would still be sticking to itself so it wouldn't go anywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
AnnaReilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005 07:20:48 PM »

I made this shoe suitcase on a hard vinyl suitcase which was non-porous but the shoes have stayed on very well. I coated it twice with polyurethane so I'm sure that helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Scott Adams
Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005 07:48:11 PM »

Thank you so much for posting a tutorial!  I've been wanting to try decoupage for so long now... Maybe I'll get to it! Smiley

BTW, I love the turquoise and silver ring you're wearing in that forth picture.  It's so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
glitterbirdie
Glitter Birdie

Birdie Loves Glitter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005 07:51:57 PM »

Hi.... Smiley

Im a new member here...

A lot into crafts,but never tried decoupage.  And believe me, this tutorial is soo good... Very useful, coz here in our place, we dont get mod podge n stuff like that. Only clear glue and maybe clear varnish. So now I can try out something new...Will surely post the snaps if they come out well..

Thanx a loot...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005 07:56:18 PM by Goddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twitter
I looove Personal Swaps
WIST
BLOG
liliesinmycereal
lilies in my cereal

i design with every breath

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005 10:10:45 PM »

holy moly.. you read my mind.. i want to decoupage some flats with candy wrappers.. and you showed me how... beautiful.. you are awesome...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reverend kayla

I ain't no reverend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005 10:50:53 AM »

Wow, thanks.  I was going to ask how to do it, but now I don't have to!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feal
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005 06:49:43 AM »

thanks a bunch for sharing. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Crab Cakes with Grapefruit Aioli
How to make Southern Breakfast
How to make Lima Beans
How to make Fried Squash and Zucchini
How to make Mashed Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...