A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Icky Bookshelf recon  (Read 3517 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bela-Kiss
« on: June 09, 2008 11:00:23 AM »

ok so, I was in desperate need of a bookshelf, plus something to do. So I set out looking for yard sales, found one, and this:

Im not a big fan of plain wood. It isn't even real wood anyway.... but it was also scratched, covered in cob webs, and smelled of cigarette smoke. Yucky. So I cleaned it, sprayed it for bugs, cleaned it again, and then painted it. 2 layers of black paint later, and the next morning, I have I simple bookshelf.

I am much happier with it now. I am thinking of maybe putting some details or something on the sides, but I don't know where it will be next year when I move out, and I want it to match.

TYFL

Rebecca
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 11:21:42 AM »

Good for you for rescuing something from the landfill and taking it from ugly to functional.  Looks good!  I too hate faux woodgrain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeeZee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008 12:25:40 PM »

I have a couple of these and they don't match my room at all! cheapola! This is awesome. it looks great! Hmmmm red definitly red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morbidlovexox
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008 01:19:45 PM »

is that the cheap contact paper stuck on particle board fake wood grain or the veneer kind? I have a table I tried to stain and it looks kind of crap and I dont think it was really wood. so I was wondering how you did that. it looks great by the way Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it is not inertia alone that is responsible for human relationships repeating themselves, monotonous and un-renewed, it is shyness before all else.
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008 08:27:21 PM »

is that the cheap contact paper stuck on particle board fake wood grain or the veneer kind? I have a table I tried to stain and it looks kind of crap and I dont think it was really wood. so I was wondering how you did that. it looks great by the way Cheesy

It is particle board. It took me a while to figure out if any of it was real wood at all, but nope, just a farely convincing(until you turn it around) contact paper on particle board bookshelf. I was surprised the paint took so well to it though. But it is probably because I spent a little extra money and bought some from our craft store. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fashion09
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008 09:02:23 AM »

I have one of these as well Im getting ready to paint aqua so you dont have to prepare the wood? my dad is iffy on the paint sticking to it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008 11:28:25 AM »

I have one of these as well Im getting ready to paint aqua so you dont have to prepare the wood? my dad is iffy on the paint sticking to it
I didn't. I just bought some paint from the craft store, cleaned it, and painted it. I am not sure if the varnish had just worn off or if it just didn't matter. But I just repainted a desk with the same paint and it worked the same. I would just say 2-3 coats of paint plus a clear coat. I haven't varnished mine yet and they are starting to scratch and things on top...lazy me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junebug6162
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008 06:51:11 PM »

Oh yes, much better!  Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008 07:20:53 PM »

Oh yes, much better!  Good job.
thanks =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008 07:34:14 PM »

That looks MUCH better! Bravo! I have an active hatred of that faux wood grain particle board. Blech.

I have a question (i've been planning the same thing for a while). Does the paint stick okay to the particle board? Does it bubble up or anything, or scrape off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...