A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first crochet anything...  (Read 1253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss sarah jane
« on: June 09, 2008 12:36:25 AM »

About 12 months ago, a lovely lady at my work had offered to teach me to crochet, and she was also teaching her daughter.  She brought me in a ball of yarn and a crochet hook, and showed me how to do a granny square.  Well, sort of.  She was trying to remember how to do it and hadn't done if for MANY years.  In the end, it just got put aside, and I hadn't thought of it since, until last week. 

Now, due to irritating pregnancy circumstances, I am forced, for the next few months (and have done for the last couple, actually) to spend a large proportion of my day laying down.  This is very boring and annoying, because I have a pretty active mind and so lack of stimulation causes severe mental agony.  So I've been trying to come up with various ways to keep myself entertained.  So this week, I decided to try to learn to crochet on my own.  I pulled out the yarn and the hook, and had a bit of a go at it.  What I remembered was very shoddy, and as I said she'd only showed me a square.  So I checked out the net, watched a couple of videos, read some tutorials, and after a few practice runs, ended up with this little baby:

I started off doing single crochet, and then after a few rows decided to try something else.  So I learned the double, and did three rows of that.  Then alternated 3 rows of single and double for about... ohhh a metre and a bit, maybe 130 centimetres (that's about 4 feet 3 inches) and then finished off with another block of single. 

Here is some detail of the stitching

I know it's not fabulous, but I'm still pretty proud of myself.  It's a good length, although pretty skinny.  And very scratchy, cos it's acrylic yarn.  So I don't think I'll ever wear it.  But it was a good practice run, and I feel very confident now.  In fact, I think I'm addicted.  DH took me shopping and helped me pick out some more yarn and some more hooks and a "Learn to Crochet" book, so I'm all set.  I've started my next scarf, with some much nicer, softer yarn, and will post that up when it's finished.

Any comments or criticism more than welcome.  And thanks for looking!  If you made it this far, you deserve a round of applause, because I do tend to ramble on a bit.....   Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Mishimon

Jewellery Obsessed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 02:44:19 AM »

Well done, hard to believe that's a first attempt! Your stitches look very even and the alternating between double and single is very nice. Hope everything goes well with your pregnancy aswell!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pruna

hey, ho, let's go!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008 04:31:17 AM »

well done!! maybe you'll never wear this, but it's a good practice.
Crochet is very addicting so you'll have plenty of your time spend on it now. Try amigurumi, you can do a lot of sweet plushies for your baby!
If you need a good tutorial, try this, I learned from them:
http://www.hookandneedles.com/category/crochet/crochet-tutorial/

I hope your pregnancy goes well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cat9

I've got a hook and I'm not afraid to use it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008 06:51:50 AM »

I think turning your first scarf into a sampler for different stitches is a great way to go Smiley  You'll be tempted to toss out that first scarf in a few months, but I think you should stash it somewhere so you can look back at it later when you're an expert! Good wishes on your pregnancy - and I hope you can keep entertained!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imforhim04
Imforhim04

.:Live, Love, Craft!:.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008 09:16:05 AM »

That's good..funny thing is..my first piece was a scarf, AND that same color!  lol...

If you get a bigger hook (I used 15.5mm)-its about the size of a quarter around? , and pick two color threads, and crochet, you can do a dual-color afghan for the baby =)

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jen
Esjay82
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008 11:13:03 AM »

i think that is pretty darn impressive for the first item you've made! i hope you know though that you have now opened the door to the crochet world, and you will probably not be able to stop crocheting!!!!!

the internet is brilliant for tutorials and patterns! have u looked at

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

u'll find loads of patterns there, some to inspire you. Good luck with your future crochet projects and good luck with your pregnancy too.  Wink Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StephaniePrice
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008 04:49:09 PM »

I just started crochet my self. Yours looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elyhoo
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008 04:56:39 PM »

cute scarf! I started crocheting for the exact same reason! I'm 36 weeks along and bored outta my mind! You should definitely make your baby some plushies- At first I was intimidated by amigurumi, but once I got started I realized how very easy it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss sarah jane
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008 02:12:59 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Pruna & Esjay82 - thanks for the links!  I've been looking at everyone's Amigurumi thinking how cute they were, and now maybe I'll be able to give them a shot.

Imforhim04 - yikes!  That's some crazy huge hook size!  I bought a 9mm the other day, and it feels so huge in my hand - I'm totally unco with it.  The blanket idea with the two threads though... sounds complicated but very cool.

I've finished the second scarf, and am sooo happy with it.  I'll post it up when I take some pics of it.  I'm onto another one now.  Esjay82 is right, I'm obsessed and I can't stop!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Tiel
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008 02:51:49 AM »

You did a great job for a first project.  Crocheting is very addicting.  A baby blanket is very easy.  You can learn different stitches and add to as you go along.  I love making baby blankets in a Diagonal stitch pattern.  You start out in bottom corner and work it out to opposite top corner.

Here is a link to a pattern: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/368788/how_to_crochet_a_baby_blanket_on_the.html?cat=25

This is what it would look like. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/clarkka7/DiagonalBabyBlanket.jpg

The great thing I like about the diagonal is it works up quickly.  It is also make with basic stitches DC or Hdc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Top Celebrity Hair Trends Anyone Can Do
Best Products For Voluminous Hair
Bed Head Hair For Effortless Style
Top 3 Back to School Hairstyles
How to Create a Grecian Updo Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...