A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skirty for the Babe- now with pattern!  (Read 936 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caselita
« on: June 08, 2008 09:05:49 PM »

I made this little wool skirty for my just-turned-one-year-old and we both love it!  It's a curly purly soaker with a skirt knitted on. 

I just winged the skirt part but it turned out really cute!  I think I wrote the pattern down somewhere.  Now she has a nice cloth diaper cover and she looks cute too.  Just in time for summer.

Edited to add pattern:
I've written up my pattern for this skirt.  I've included the direction to knit it as an addition to a diaper cover as I did or to knit it as just a skirt.  I've copied the pattern below but you can get a printable version here:  http://thinkingmama.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/eyelet-skirty-pattern/

Now for the pattern:
To knit the skirt attached to a diaper cover:

1. First knit the soaker of your choice. I used the curly purly soaker pattern.

2. Using a circular needle the size that you used for the body of the soaker, pick up a row of stitches just below the ribbing, or about 2 inches below the top of the soaker. (Note: This is much easier if you purl the row after the ribbing when youre knitting the soaker. Then use the purl bumps as your guide when picking up the stitches.)

3. Row 1: Join to knit in the round and *K1, yo* around. This doubles the number of stitches on your needle and adds fullness to your skirt.

4. Knit for 5 rounds. Next round (eyelet round): *K2tog, yo* around.

5. Repeat these 6 rounds until your skirt measures approximately the desired length.

6. Change to needles one size larger than those youve been using. This will add a little more fullness to the bottom portion of the skirt. Continue in pattern until skirt is almost the desired length. End with eyelet round.

7. Knit around

*K2tog, yo* around

Repeat these 2 rounds one more time. (Ending with eyelet rounds close together prevents the hem from rolling)

Bind off.

Note: If desired, knit stripes of a different color as often as youd like. Also, the frequency of the eyelet row is not essential.

To knit the skirt alone:

1. Knit a gauge swatch with your desired yarn and determine how many stitches per inch you have.

2. Measure around your babys waist. Multiply your stitches per inch by the number of inches your babys waist measures. Round this number to the nearest multiple of 4. This is the number of stitches you will cast on.

3. Using a needle sized 1-2 sizes smaller than you used on your swatch, cast on desired number of stitches and *K2, P2* around for approximately 2 inches.

4. Switch to main needles and knit skirt, beginning with the K1, yo round in #3 in the above directions.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008 08:46:26 AM by caselita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog !
Come visit my etsy shop ThinkingMama
Cali

Crafting through Insomnia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008 09:35:19 PM »

THats so cute... this is going to sound weird to most but i miss cloth diapering LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -Maya Angelou
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Rotisserie Chicken on the Grill
How to make Country Fried Steak
How to make Standing Rib Roast
How to make Potato Skins
How to make Jalapeno Poppers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...