A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Key Fob Tutorial  (Read 17110 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cute2carry
« on: June 07, 2008 03:14:44 PM »

Key Fobs are definitely the rage. They’re not only really cute, but soooo functional as well. Slip them around your wrist, and you are hands-free to carry your bags, kiddos, etc.!

I make, and sell, quite a few in my shop and give many away as gifts. Here’s a tutorial to show you how you can make your own.

Items you’ll need:

2 strips of coordinating fabric 12″x 2.25″

2 strips of fusible interfacing (I use Pellon 809 DecorBond) 12″ x 1.25″

1 strip of PelTex 12″ x 1.25″ (I actually cut mine 1 3/16th”, or just a hair narrower than 1.25″. You’ll understand why later)

1 set of key fob hardware (I purchase mine online at ebay.)

Here are the interfacing strips:

Step 1) Fuse the interfacing strips to your fabric strips, by placing the Pellon 809 down the center of the fabric strip. There will be 1/2″ of fabric on each side. The edges of the Pellon will be your guide for stitching throughout the process of making your key fob.

Place fabric pieces right sides together and pin in place. Stitch down one edge of the Pellon. Iron the seam open.

Step 2) With the fabric wrong side up, iron each long side of the fabric strip inward at the edge of the Pellon. Fold in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press.

Slip the Peltex into the middle of your fabric “sandwich”. Wrap the outside fabric’s seam allowances (the fabric that will be the main outer fabric of the key fob) around the Peltex. Pin the fabric”sandwich together. If you cut your PelTex as I do, it will be much easier to pin this since the seam allowances take up a bit of space inside the sandwich. Trust me; do as I say.

Step 3) Stitch the pinned edge together by topstitching. Be sure to catch the underside fabric! And go slowly, you’ll be stitching over the Peltex, and it’s a thick layer…but oh so worth it in the end.

Topstitch down the opposite side as well.

Step 4) At this point, you are just cleaning up the piece before attaching the hardware. Trim the edges (the short ends) even, and apply Fray Check generously to the raw edges. Really, don’t skip this part. It will give your key fob a cleaner looking end result and will give it more longevity.

Step 5) Attach the hardware with some pliers. Fold the fabric strip to meet at raw ends. Slip the hardware piece over both layers. It will be thick, so make sure that you have all of the layers neatly tucked in there. Use pliers to clamp the hardware shut in this order: middle, right side, left side. Otherwise you might clamp it shut unevenly. Clamp gently at first to be sure it stays positioned correctly. Then go back and finish it off with a nice, tight clamp!

I wrap a scrap piece of fabric around the hardware so that it doesn’t get scratched by the pliers.

Attach the O-ring and you are done!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting...one day at a time...and loving it!
Visit my blog at www.cute2carry.com/blog
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008 03:43:47 PM »

brilliant! those will make great stocking stuffers or add-ons to gifts that need just a little something more. nice work and thanks for sharing! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arin
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008 03:55:44 PM »

I really really REALLY like your key fobs.

When you look on eBay for the harware, which seller do you buy from?And is it the 1.25" size?

I want to make some for my mother-in-law and sisiter-in-law since they are FOREVER misplacing their keys; must run in the family lol.

I really like how you did the faric for the key fobs, they go PERFECT together.

Thank you so much for posting a tutorial  Grin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008 04:56:55 PM by Arin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
Ginger Child
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008 03:58:24 PM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial....these are so cute!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arin
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008 04:02:39 PM »

I forgot to ask you, since I was snooping on your blog .... it is very nice by the way Smiley I was curious if you were going to do a tutorial for that SUPER cute iPod pouch you made??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
pandamayhem
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008 09:37:24 PM »

Wow, these are super cute! And I love the fabrics you used! Thanks for the tutorial ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: A Strawberry Inside Cheesy
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008 09:38:29 PM »

I disagree-those are cute. I love those.  Cheesy Thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
TryEverything
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008 11:53:57 AM »

Wow this is such a great idea... I was struggling today with my keys as my pants didn't have any pockets and thought by myself what I could do with my keys.  Thank you so much for the tutorial !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SeeMellySew
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008 11:22:08 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to try some Smiley

If anyone is interested, I found this website to be the cheapest for the hardware (1.25" size only):

http://www.cdwplus.com/singleKEY.html#anchor64197 (fourth item down)

Shipping is free, yay! The cost for 10 is just $0.58 each! You do have to buy the O rings separately. I have ordered from this site before and it was really quick, and I couldn't find a better price anywhere.

Anyways, I love your key fobs, I hope mine end up looking half as nice as yours! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy:
http://thewillowtree.etsy.com
My Blog:
http://treasuresunderthewillowtree.blogspot.com

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Seuss
ChrisM318
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008 07:16:54 AM »

OK, is that the size hardware needed?  I know dumb question, just wondering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SeeMellySew
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008 09:43:17 AM »

Not a dumb question, I don't really know either, since I have never made one! Smiley lol

I think it is the right size for this tutorial, though, because she cuts her interfacing 1.25" wide and doesn't fold it at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy:
http://thewillowtree.etsy.com
My Blog:
http://treasuresunderthewillowtree.blogspot.com

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Seuss
ElephantLady
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008 08:41:30 PM »

What a great tutorial! I love your fabric choice for the key fobs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute2carry
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008 08:10:32 AM »

I really really REALLY like your key fobs.

When you look on eBay for the harware, which seller do you buy from?And is it the 1.25" size?

I want to make some for my mother-in-law and sisiter-in-law since they are FOREVER misplacing their keys; must run in the family lol.

I really like how you did the faric for the key fobs, they go PERFECT together.

Thank you so much for posting a tutorial  Grin

This is who I purchase from, over and over!  And yes, it's the 1.25" size.  Hope this helps! Thx for the comment, too!  Smiley
http://cgi.ebay.com/Key-Fob-Chain-Nickle-Hardware-1-25-12-Sets_W0QQitemZ370003761225QQihZ024QQcategoryZ71224QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute2carry
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008 08:12:05 AM »

I forgot to ask you, since I was snooping on your blog .... it is very nice by the way Smiley I was curious if you were going to do a tutorial for that SUPER cute iPod pouch you made??

I sure could!  They are super easy, too! Smiley  Sit tight and I'll work on that soon.
And thanks for the comment about my blog.  I appreciate that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute2carry
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008 08:15:47 AM »

OK, is that the size hardware needed?  I know dumb question, just wondering.

Yep, 1.25" is correct! Thanks to the poster who found another source for the hardware, too!  I use an ebay seller that I just linked to above. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arin
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008 08:22:06 AM »

Thank you so much for agreeing to do a tutorial of the iPod pouch, I apprecitate it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jilden
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008 03:01:28 PM »

so cute. i appreciate the tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittyscorner
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008 08:52:37 PM »

Thanks for the tut!! I can't wait to make some too Smiley

I'm a newbie sewer... Can't sew to save my life but what I discovered today is even more alarming... I can't cut straight to save my life either  Shocked Cheesy Grin

My local craft store doesn't have anything that you called for, so I bought what they recommended as substitute. The fusible interfacing I got is pretty safe and I'm having a hard time marking it and cutting it straight... What's the secret to marking and cutting it straight?

I noticed that you have a cutting board? and a pizza cutter wheely thing? would that help me cut straighter ?

Thank you in advance for your help! I really appreciate it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog Wink  http://kittyscorner.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 New Mascaras to Try
Miss Pop Gives Us a Glitter Nail Tutorial
Kat Von D Makeup Recalled From Sephora
DIY Skin Firming Cellulite Scrub
Tips for Skincare and Finding Your Tone
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...