A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Dorm Dilemma - all rules that could possibly apply, do. :(  (Read 6664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pink LuLu
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005 09:30:21 AM »

You could put multiple mirrors up, I love the look of this.  As mentioned, Christmas lights are always cool, plus, they make so many different colors and designs!  I love sheer fabrics as well.  They are easy to hang, and are temporary, but still super stylish!  Ikea has a lot of cheap shelving (that stands rather than nailed to the wall)  Also, my Mother in law was saying there is some type of hanger, I think they hold 50 lbs, but the somehow make a hole the size of a pushpin (and you could fill that in with toothpaste)  I'm sure that she way them on QVC or something like it!  That may be something for you to look into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Lauren~*
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005 11:18:54 AM »

In my old dorm we lofted both beds and put a futon under one of them. If you're allowed to have a futon I would definitely recommend it. They're cheap at Walmart or somewhere (black metal ones are like $100-$150) and serve two purposes. One, you have a place to sit (other than on your bed) and two, when out-of-town friends come to see you, they have a place to stay. I had a big cotton tapestry thing that we threw overtop of the futon and made a slipcover type thing out of it. A sheet would also work as a slipcover. They get kind of uncomfortable after a while but if you put an egg crate mattress on top of the futon mattress, then put a sheet/tapestry thing over top it will be pretty comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heavens_devil
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008 01:03:48 PM »

Wheeeeeee I can't wait to move into my dorm in september! I'm already planning on how to decorate it.

What's the best way to stick up canvas paintings without leaving a mark or making holes in the wall?
taking into account this is Britain lol.

I'm going to use the spring pole idea so I can take my curtains with me, they have lions and monkeys on, how could I live without them?!

I know lighting is a problem so you'll probably need a lamp too but see if you can find a funky, big (or decorate a plain white) light shade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008 01:11:06 PM »

In my dorm, all the walls are concrete so I can't put anything in them. We can't have those bendy octopus lamps because they have had the shades melt when dumb people put too high wattage. I can't put up new curtains because the curtains have special flame proof backing. The best thing that I have done is rearrange my furniture. It makes it seem more spacious, more homey, and I am about to rearrange the furniture again because my room mate basically moved into her boy's place, but has a scholarship that covers housing. we have little, movable closets with drawers underneath, then a small, but tall chest of drawers. Since she moved out, I'll have a work desk, a sewing desk, a bed, and a bed used as a couch. Pretty awesome.

But I can't do anything with the walls and the lights are like the kind in hospitals, so I can't get any cool shades. We do have  nook where the closets go and my bed fits in there, so I am going to move it in there and hang sheer fabric so that it is cozier. The most problem I had before was were to put all my stuff, so if you can and if they fit, I would suggest getting plastic drawers and doubling them as tables. One bonus is that I live in a suite, so we have a full size fridge that the university provides and a microwave provided by the university. We actually have real food when we get sick of dorm food. Try not to bring too many cute knick nacks with you because they eventually just turn into clutter and get in the way. In such a small space it is nicer to have the room because it makes it feel bigger and it is easier to not have them in the first place than trying to let them go.

Ps I hear those mighty hooks don't work, but I wouldn't know because they only work in drywall, not the concrete I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Onion Bhaji
Making Pad Thai
How to Make Raita
How to Use Fresh Ginger Root
How to Cook Ma Po Tofu
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...