A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Dorm Dilemma - all rules that could possibly apply, do. :(  (Read 6585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blue4
Faith

toe-lickin' good

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004 08:18:22 PM »

hey all

Well next year I will be off at college and I know the rooms are not very fun/cozy Undecided... so I was wondering if anyone could give me fun/cute ideas to do for a dorm room.  Stuff to put on the walls or cun things to make that we could use but also not take up to much space.... well if anyone could help me out on this I would love it! thanks a lot

Browneyes

(if you have any pictures of your old dorm rooms could you post them! that would also help alot) Thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some things are true whether you want to believe in them or not.
gladgirl
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004 06:05:51 PM »

it feels like forever since i havebeen in college... in a dorm room... however, myself and my roomate... we had the greatest room... they would make up keep it open on saturday morning for tours.... unfortunatley, i cant remember aanything we did... white christmas lights are a must because the lighting is so bad... but we also hung a tapestry and fabric  over the ugly flourescent light on the ceiling.... we had a lot of milk crates hung up all over the room.... those made nice preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'shelves....ultimately'), our walls were covered.... we NEEDED to cover those walls...
the best thing though, we had tiled floors, which were so uncomfortable... and too cheap to get a real rug, so i went to a carpet store and asked for those little carpet squares they use for display ( you  probably sat on them in elementary school when you had story time) and we got a whole bunch of thes ( for free!) and just put duct tape on the bottom... thn stuck on the floor wherever we wanted a carpet... it worked out so well, and made the room really really colorful!

if i were to do it all over again though, i would pick a theme....and go with that... of course, you have to have a cool roomie that i swilling to do all this and live in the room with you!

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikkee_b
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005 05:05:45 PM »

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

Two college freshmen occupy a 15'x10' room that includes 2 open recesses with a rod that serve as closets, 2 desks, 2 windows, 2 beds (bunked atm, or we'd have NO room), and a little entertainment center (our shelving unit).

We can't use adhesive other than the mounting putty on the walls. No screws, nails, paint, etc.

1. My roommate and I are dying. We NEED decor ideas.
2. Also, we're trying to figure a way to get some additional seating that won't get in the way when we're walking through the room. For right now, we let people sit on my bed, but that's not helpful when I'm napping or they need to be sitting at another spot in the room.

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carolinelb
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005 05:49:25 PM »

hi, i just registered so i could write to you! 
first, possibly the closet recesses could be an opportunity for decoration if you can use springloaded curtain rod(s) hung with beautiful fabric curtain or painted canvas or another crafty covering.
second, you could make/buy a couple of storage cubes (think Target, Ikea) which you could stack, and unstack when company comes,throwing cushions on top.  or folding chairs (again maybe Ikea) which could hide in closets or under beds.
sometimes the beds can both be high, and then desks can stash beneath, or rather low, comfortable chairs.
large rigid artwork can be leaned against walls, or you could make a frame of pvc pipe (really cheap) or wood (not so cheap) whch fits tightly on an entire wall, and from which various decorations could be suspended.
in a small space, i think you need a really cohesive look, so i'd choose a bright, cheery color scheme - 2 or 3 colors, and do just a few things - like bedspreads, a rug, closet curtains, a couple of needed things like lamps, pillows and mugs and then a little artwork for walls to create strong visual impact.
if you're thinking more crafster, less Ikea, the colors of your crafted solutions still need to be strong and cohesive.
i hope you have fun fun fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessandthebead
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005 06:01:49 PM »

Hi everyone!!  This is my first post but I read your dilemma and thought I might be of a little help since my daughter just graduated from college. 

One thing that we did was get concrete/cinder blocks.  You can get them for about $1.00 a piece and we put them under the bed legs.  The girls used 3 under each leg and it really raised the beds off of the ground.  By doing this, they were able to use the space underneath for storage and that made more room for sitting.  The each made big pillows that we stuffed.  They fit well under the beds and could be pulled out and sat on when needed.

You can also by those plastic hooks that apply with a white tape that, when stretched, comes totally off of the wall.  I sure wish I could remember the name of the product!!  Anyway, they hold things up really well but come cleanly off the wall when needed.  The girls used those to hang strings of lights around their room. 

Hope that helps!  Let us know what you end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a Sharpie addiction.  eemmm...In Fact, I am the President of the Sharpie relocation program. 
Newest preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'addiction....PINCUSHIONS')!!
I love personal swaps!

My wist:  http://www.wists.com/princessandthebead

I collect business cards and would LOVE to add yours to my collection!  Email me!
volvogirl
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005 01:14:33 PM »

Oops, I screwed something up. Anyway! 3M mounting strips. You need to become closely and intimately acquainted. They saved my dorm room multiple times. They have mounting tape that removes with no residue and won't rip off paint. They also have clips for holding electrical wire (Great for putting up X-mas lights!) and hooks that hold up to 10 lbs.

Other than space the biggest problems with a dorm room are lighting and the fact that you feel locked in a cave. I suggest creative lighting (Xmas lights, lava lamps, thrift store finds, etc). To make more room for decore stuff all the crap you don't need every day in underbed storage boxes. Huge floor cushions are really all you need for extra company. Why bother with seating? Everyone will be on the floor eventually. It's the only place with room! Get funky fabric from Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Hang fabric from your closets, over the windows, above your beds as a canopy. Get some color into your room and it will instantly feel more homey.

I also suggest a couple of plants, or a fish tank. Bring some nature into your room! Look in other forums for ideas on how to make a cool mobile and other window decorations. I also used to buy old 45's (small records) at the thrift store and stuck them all along the upper edge of the wall as a border.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwensmom
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005 01:47:48 PM »

Make some origami paper cranes in pretty colors and string them and hang them from the ceiling or in front of the window like a curtain.  These are lightweight so 3M mounting stuff should hold them.

when I had a tiny dorm room my mom bought some sheets to match my comforter and we used them to make curtains for the window and a curtain to cover the closet.  We also found a bathroom rug to cover up most of the meager floor space.  I got lots of compliments on that room.

If you have a digicam, post some pics of what you do to your room!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005 01:51:08 PM by gwensmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005 09:45:31 PM »

I second what Volvogirl said, 3M mounting tape is awesome. I HIGHLY reccommend Command tape. I'm using it currently for a corkboard in my room, and my friend swears by the stuff for use in dorms for anything.

If you can't paint, use fabric for decoration! Do this on two walls and you've got an interesting look. Another plus to this is that you can pin things up on it if you really like.
Curtaining off/draping fabric around your seperate beds would give each of you privacy in case of one roommate's friends coming over while you're studying or sleeping or whatever.
Storage under beds is awesome. Wall of shelving is also very awesome.
Paint your own furniture in interesting colors. While you may have to do this elsewhere, you could just cover it in fabric/wallpaper/whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
danitza
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005 10:24:45 PM »

I have a very similar problem with my dorm. We are only allowed to use blue painters tape to put things on the walls. And I have a bulleting board on two walls and a window in the third. The fourth consists of a closet and a door.

I've ordered purple Christmas lights to hang and I'm looking for more things. I still have a problem with seating, but I'm not allowed to bring chairs. I was thinking a beanbag. And I want to find a way to store my craft supplies so that I can actually do crafts while here. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek love lifts us up where we belong.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005 10:35:32 PM »

Here's a photo & tute on those star lamps...they are pretty expensive retail, but now ya can make your own!  They are killer funky... and whatever colors & designs you want... in addition, to the obvious; additional lighting Wink
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5689.0

SHE did an AWESOME...and I mean that in a total understatemental sort of way... room decorating her dorm room... and she used the infamous 3M as well!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19870.0

Very colorful window treatment...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=22197.0

Actually...before I just go on & on... this is a great topic to use the Search function.  (that's what I was doing)  try a search for "dorm" LOTS of posts!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005 10:40:22 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding the Diamond Color
Understanding the Diamond Clarity
Understanding the Diamond Cut
What Are the Four "C"S in Diamonds
Different Shapes in Diamonds
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...