A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Optimus Prime is really grinding my gears!  (Read 1793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 05, 2008 07:31:57 PM »

Well, I sat down with a graph pattern and mapped out the stitches to make the Autobots symbol.

The only thing I've done like this is the skullholder from the Stitch N Bitch Crochet book, and I noticed the skull kinda went back and forth as far as the edges go. I thought that the thinner lines, like in the the piece above the eyes and the line between the bottom of the nose and top lip and then between the lips would give me less trouble if I worked this from the side, going up and down. I came out with this:

Is there any advice that I could glean from the knowledgeable crafters around me about how to make it look more like the design? Am I doing something wrong? The whole piece wouldn't fit on my scanner, so I tried to get as much of the actual insignia onto it as I could.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SalutingMagpies
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008 03:58:59 AM »

To fix this piece, you could sew/darn extra wool over the areas where the colour has 'bled', to make the edges neater.

Starting from scratch, I'd definitely try crocheting from the chin up rather than sideways as you have here. That should improve the eye detail and the white line at the mouth, which look like the only parts that have lost the detail of the chart.

The other thing I do when trying to stitch patterns is to cheat a bit.
Don't worry too much about forming every stitch correctly. If your next stitch looks like it'll 'bleed' into the other colour, try forming it around the back post only, or into the side of the previous stitch.

I hope that helps   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008 04:25:36 AM »

I don't knit or crochet (But I bought 2 hooks today and im going to try in a little while)

What if you made each square on the graph 4 squares? It would make it bigger but it might be able to make it a little clearer?

Just a suggestion. But it looks so neat and awesome.!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
Songs4Drowning

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008 05:46:56 AM »

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll give them a try and keep at it and post the best way I find. *grabs hooks* Autobots, roll out! (TT_TT I'm such a nerd..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SalutingMagpies
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008 06:13:21 AM »

Autobots, roll out! (TT_TT I'm such a nerd..)
It's all good, I only clicked this thread because I know my fella would LOVE a Transformers hat  Grin

Be sure to post pics if you get it sorted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008 11:03:45 AM »

This is the only thing I can think of and I can't quite tell from the picture if this is the problem:  when changing colours did you remember to start the next colour on the last "pull through" of the previous stitch?  The loop you pull through last on a stitch is actually the top of your next stitch.

If you don't change colours that way you end up with a bleed-through that kind of looks like what you've got there, but I'm not completely sure.

If that's not it, then I have no idea.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Songs4Drowning

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008 05:03:19 PM »

This is the only thing I can think of and I can't quite tell from the picture if this is the problem:  when changing colours did you remember to start the next colour on the last "pull through" of the previous stitch?  The loop you pull through last on a stitch is actually the top of your next stitch.

If you don't change colours that way you end up with a bleed-through that kind of looks like what you've got there, but I'm not completely sure.

If that's not it, then I have no idea.  Good luck!

I believe that was, in fact, my mistake! Thank you so much. I forgot to take my hook with me to work today, so I'm starting on the second square now. I'll scan it in after I've finished to show the difference. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Songs4Drowning

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008 07:37:44 PM »

I did another square, changing colors in the pull through part of the last stitch of a color. It made a big difference. I'm so happy with how it came out. I'm doing these squares to make crocheted "quilts." I'm very close with my roomie's three children, and I'll be moving across country in two months. I wanted to give them something before I left, and they all love blankets, and our thing to do together is watch Transformers.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, here's how the second square came out:

I'm much more pleased with this one than the first. I'll definitely post pictures of the finished blankets on the completed board, I'm really excited about this monster project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Regret Your Tattoo?
Sneak Peek: Birchbox April 2013
Beauty Tips: The Benefits Of Avocados
How To Use Hairspray Properly
"Bottom-of-the-Jar" Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...